Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on the forum that Hankook ST's, General Grabbers & Toyo Proxs seem to be a common replacement tyre across the range. I'm trying to fix on a replacement for the Michellin Diamaris which have done 23K (not too bad by all accounts)

I was almost settled on Hankooks until I noticed they were a "W" rating (as opposed to 106Y on the standard fitment) and that they weren't "Extra Load" in 20" form.

Now the "W" rating I can see is slightly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (I think it's a Porche platfrom thing as Diamaris are a "W" fitment on the X5).

I'm just concerned that I would be replacing a "Extra Load" tyre with a "non-defined" tyre as with Hankook (They are still load rated the same - 106 which equals 950kg). Tyre supplier's, probably rightly, suggest that if they were "Extra Load" on the originals then they should be replaced like for like. They suggest possible damage to tyre/rim as a resultant from not fitting "Extra Load" items along with instantaneous deflation if you were to get a puncture at speed or mid corner (a bit of scare mongering I think)

Ultimately it's a Company vehicle so it won't hit my pocket but nobody likes spending money unecessarily. I can get Continental SportContacts for ?240.00 each which is what I'm leaning towards now.

Does anybody have any experience with getting a concise answer on what "extra Load" really means?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I've just fitted Hankooks after some kindly advice a couple of weeks ago on this forum (thanks all, much appreciated!!)

I had the Diamaris too and only got 15k out of them and a ?1050 estimate to replace them. I came to the conclusion that as long as the load rating was the same (they are) I could accept a lower rating on the premise that the Touareg won't do 168mph in any case and I'm not about to give it a go.

First impressions, at ?500 fitted they're half the price of the Diamaris, PZeros etc, last much much longer so they represent good value. I've found (3 weeks in) grip to be fine though I don't test the limits in a 2 1/2 ton car. Ride is actually better than the Michelins (maybe the sidewalls aren't as stiff??) and roadnoise to be about the same, perhaps slightly less. I don't take it off road so can't comment on that domain.

All things considered I'm happy, particularly with the ride. The Ayers Rock wheels look fantastic but the ride on the Michelins was poor, not so on the Hankooks though in fairness little wheels usually ride better so if ride quality is important then 20 in wheels may not be the way to go.

The manufacturers recommend like for like because the OEM tyres were supplied to them at little to no cost from the tyre manufacturers with the expectation that numpty owners would ask for another set of 'whatever's on there mate'. I'm convinced that it's a little con arranged between, in this case, Michelin and VW though some Touaregs came with different tyres on the Ayers Rock wheels. The only common theme is that they cost a fortune and there aint no way VW paid ?1k a set for them is there?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GC101 & HFG,

Thanks guys,

You have slightly missed my main point, however. "W" I can live with because it's so prescribed...I ain't going to get the old girl over 120 less 168 or 186.

The load rating I get....106 = 950kg x 4 wheels = GVW+25% minimum. Thats fairly prescribed as well.

It's this "XL" or "Extra Load" caviat... Which I understand is to do with sidewall stiffness. Why would it be unnecessarily specified. The Hankooks, Toyo etc aren't XL.
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
If you google reinforced tyres (or tires) or extra load tyres there are a lot of opinions.

This seemed the simplest conclusion - http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/sa ... tyres.html

There was som ereasonable input on htis site too - http://www.scoobynet.com/archive/index. ... 22942.html

But it looks like it is related to the possible loads you might put on the tyres through weight or driving style and also the pressure you may want to run your tyres at.

If they had XL on when you got it chances are that for insurance purposes you may need the same again
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
Saw an 08 Treg yesterday just been fitted with Accelera 4x4 tyres. Never heard of them but the tread looked useful with a block tread on the outside half and a fast road tyre tread on the inside half.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Further to my last; I had a quick look when I was out in the car earlier, the Hankook Ventus IS an Extra load tyre so there you go - problem solved!!!

Can't explain why the ride is better but, without a shadow of a doubt, it is!!
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Just checked on my 2.5 Tdi and the tyres (17") are all Extra Load rated - I would not have thought to check (or read) that otherwise
 

·
Superman
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
socks said:
GC101 & HFG,

Thanks guys,

You have slightly missed my main point, however. "W" I can live with because it's so prescribed...I ain't going to get the old girl over 120 less 168 or 186.

The load rating I get....106 = 950kg x 4 wheels = GVW+25% minimum. Thats fairly prescribed as well.

It's this "XL" or "Extra Load" caviat... Which I understand is to do with sidewall stiffness. Why would it be unnecessarily specified. The Hankooks, Toyo etc aren't XL.
Point missed.... hardly... Pffff... can't help some people...
Hipflyguy said:
Hi Socks...

They are 106's so 950kg, but should be XL's as stated on tyre sites such as:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... b489s263p0
May have to deduct some points from you at the end of the season... see how you 'miss' them 'points'.....
(nice going in the league btw, considering you joined week 5, You'd prob be top 5 if we give you an avereage 40 for the weeks you missed).
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
Goldcup101 said:
Further to my last; I had a quick look when I was out in the car earlier, the Hankook Ventus IS an Extra load tyre so there you go - problem solved!!!

Can't explain why the ride is better but, without a shadow of a doubt, it is!!
Its probably because the tyre walls are more flexible, so whilst it won't corner quite so well at extreme speed [for the corner, that is] it will ride better as you are getting a little more give in the tyre as it goes over bumps and humps.

I've found the self same thing plus a HUGE reduction in road noise with my Grabber UHPs over the OEM Continentals and it will cope with some mud and snow as well!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hipflyguy said:
Point missed.... hardly... Pffff... can't help some people...
Hipflyguy said:
Hi Socks...

They are 106's so 950kg, but should be XL's as stated on tyre sites such as:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... b489s263p0
May have to deduct some points from you at the end of the season... see how you 'miss' them 'points'.....
(nice going in the league btw, considering you joined week 5, You'd prob be top 5 if we give you an avereage 40 for the weeks you missed).
HFG,

Easy tiger... your Camskill link sends you to a non-XL 295/40 R20 tyre. A little exploration and, yes I stand corrected, the 275/40 R20 106W is XL... thank you.

Re. the league... Offsets the disaster befalling me in the Telegraph FL where I'm suffering from an over-reactive transfer policy...spent.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, done the deed. Hankooks all round... and for ?679.00 for the set at Tyremart in Gt Dunmow.

And the final mileage on the Michelin Diamaris was 25,000... they were pretty low though!

Thanks to HFG, Goldcup & shytot for your input
 

·
Superman
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Likewise Socks...

Had 4 Hankook RH06's fitted 2 weeks ago for ?565, Pirreli's had lasted a whopping 7k miles... Grippy as hell, but no longevity.

lets see how long before I have to visit Mr Tyre man again.... We were on first name terms...!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hipflyguy said:
Likewise Socks...

Had 4 Hankook RH06's fitted 2 weeks ago for ?565, Pirreli's had lasted a whopping 7k miles... Grippy as hell, but no longevity.

lets see how long before I have to visit Mr Tyre man again.... We were on first name terms...!
7k!!?!? Was you journey to & from work entirely on Shellgrip!!

Just done the return home journey (55 miles) and they seem okay. I know they are fresh rubber, but I would say at the moment they don't give the grip of the (slick) Diamaris. See how we get on!
 

·
Superman
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
socks said:
7k!!?!? Was you journey to & from work entirely on Shellgrip!!
You'd think...!!

And no I don't drive it like a wanger, occasionally, mut the car makes me drive like I've got my nan in the back seat, certainly not not like a sports car. The Diamaris's that were on the car before only lasted 12k.... Only reason the Pirelli's went on is cos there were no Hankooks in the country, and MOT was due....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I got the set of Hankooks for ?506.92 (275/40/20).

I'd have posted this earlier if I'd realised how good a deal it is but only after seeing how others have got on has this become so apparent!

I used Tyretraders.com who send the tyres to one of their enlisted garages near you (website tells you how far away the closest one is) and then you book the car in. It worked seamlessly for me; the tyres were delivered the day after I ordered online. Much less hassle than getting the tyres delivered to you then trying to find a garage willing to fit. They'd fill the boot as well!! You only realise how big they are when they're off the rim!
 

·
Superman
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Yeah, had a quote from Camskill for ?110 each inc VAT, but nobody wanted to fit alternatively supplied tyres. paid a bit extra for each tyre inc fitting, but very local, and just gave peace of mind.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used a piece of polyvinyl chloride acetate (PVCA) from my wallet with the words "Business Card" on it.

It seems to work...


Some small recompense after the Inland Revenue fist me once a month for co car tax!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
318 Posts
Goldcup101 said:
I got the set of Hankooks for ?506.92 (275/40/20).

I'd have posted this earlier if I'd realised how good a deal it is but only after seeing how others have got on has this become so apparent!

I used Tyretraders.com who send the tyres to one of their enlisted garages near you (website tells you how far away the closest one is) and then you book the car in. It worked seamlessly for me; the tyres were delivered the day after I ordered online. Much less hassle than getting the tyres delivered to you then trying to find a garage willing to fit. They'd fill the boot as well!! You only realise how big they are when they're off the rim!
That was a cracking deal - They are ?161 each at the moment on the Tyretraders site.

At my local tyre place, I've just this morning had 4 baby Hankooks fitted to my Aygo at ?50 each (inc. balance) and while I was in I was given a price of ?158 each for Hankooks for the Treg. Reckons the prices fluctuate quite a bit and could be up or down next week.
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Hipflyguy said:
Yeah, had a quote from Camskill for ?110 each inc VAT, but nobody wanted to fit alternatively supplied tyres. paid a bit extra for each tyre inc fitting, but very local, and just gave peace of mind.
Camskill look pretty good value especially for 235/65 R17 options.

I bought 2 contis off Alistair on here last month and found a local garage that fitted them for ?10 each so I'd ask him again and see if he will discount for 4 - especially if it is a cash deal @ lunch time :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top