Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my current XC90 with a new Touareg shortly but, out of interest, I thought I would have a look on the Warranty Direct website to see how much an extra year's warranty would have cost.

Having keyed in all the details of my current car, the site calculated four warranty costs, depending on whether I wanted 'Major Care' (standard) or 'Extra Care' (more comprehensive)and whether I wanted to use 'Network' or 'Franchised' dealers.

This then got me thinking - what would a similar warranty cost, all else being equal, had I purchased a different car at the outset. I therefore repeatedly re-entered the same details but each time selected a different make and model of car (all large diesel 4x4s).

Now I don't know how competitive Warranty Direct are, or how their costs compare between different makes and models relative to other warranty suppliers but the results were quite interesting, so I thought I would share my findings. Thirteen separate models are listed below, ranked in order of cost (least to most expensive). For reference, these costs are all based on the assumption of a 2007 car which still has the balance of the manufacturer's three year warranty until the end of the month, has covered between 40,001-50,000 miles and has a forecast annual mileage of less than 30,000 miles per annum (seems a lot but it only gives the option for more or less than 30,000 miles).

No doubt the costs are based on past claims experience, which may not be a reliable forecast of future costs but the inference is clearly that some models are likely to be more reliable and / or less costly to repair than others. Additionally, the cost differentials between using network or franchised dealers hints at the relative premium that franchised dealers can charge.

So here goes (Network dealers Extra Care / Major Care - Franchised Dealers Extra Care / Major Care):

1. Isuzu Trooper Insignia TD Auto
462 / 299 - 554 / 359

2. Volvo XC90 D5 SE Lux Auto
473 / 259 - 567 / 310

=3. VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI Altitude Auto
=3. Toyota Land Cruiser LC4 TD
494 / 320 - 593 / 384

5. BMW X5 3.0 TD SE Auto
508 / 329 - 635 / 412

6. Mitsubishi Shogun Equipe 3.2D
522 / 347 - 627 / 416

7. Mercedes ML 320 CDI SE Auto
508 / 329 - 660 / 428

8. Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon TD
559 / 371 - 671 / 446

9. Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
760 / 460 - 950 / 575

10. Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland Auto
808 / 524 - 969 / 629

=11. Land Rover Discovery 2.7 TDV6 HSE
=11. Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 HSE
808 / 524 - 1,010 / 655

13. Range Rover Sport 3.6 TDV8 HSE
914 / 607 - 1,143 / 760

N.B. Where there is a difference between levels of cover or using franchised / non-franchised dealers, I have ranked the models by cost for the highest level of cover using franchised dealers.

From this it would seem that there doesn't seem much risk in changing from the XC90 to the Touareg (had two XC90's and never spent anything on them apart from routine servicing and tyres - not even brake pads in 50,000+ miles). Conversely, I might now have second thoughts about a Range Rover... I did think that the latest 3.0 TDV6 Rangie was nice though!!!

Discuss...

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Thats a damn fine post.

If it helps, asked about extended 12 month warranty at Worcester VW this week for our 2007 3.0 SE
Listers group warranty ?725
VW warranty ?1072

In both cases this was for the most comprehansive cover.

As I have posted before, bought the car from VW Cheltenham, Inchcape group, they quoted ?400 for 12 months & ?600 for 24 months. Not sure what it covers though, probably not much based on other figures & will no doubt rise when they realise its for a Touareg rather than a polo

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Excellent post.

Just one thing for anyone new to the site who lands here, the on-line quoted Warranty Direct prices can be negotiated downwards by quite a bit if you talk to them on the telephone and play hard to get by not buying at the end of the call and if you keep asking for extras to be added in - VW main dealer rates, airbag cover and the like. So do your homework on-line first and then pick up the phone.

I'll get into trouble if I don't mention there are other warranty companies.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Absolutely, Kaine! Tena pads required.

I couldn't recall the website address when I posted but don't forget the site sponsors www.warrantyuk.co.uk

·
2 Posts
Just been quoted ?950 for Luxury Care on a V10 ALT 2007 with Warranty Direct. VW wanted ?1050 to continue but I don't think the Mondial backed VW ext warranty is as comprehensive? I thought highly of WD when they covered my RS6.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Play hard to get and the price may come down as others have found.

If there is only ?100 difference to stay with VW I'd think twice before leaving them and compare the covers very carefully.

·
66 Posts
You are right. Absolute lowest of ?495 for 06 V6 TDI with an addition of Airbags and emissions for free normally ?70.

What are other paying? Its in our interests to share this information to get the best deal. Or a group buy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts