Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum really sound stuff.

I have a 2007 V6 TDI altittude. I;m onto my next set of tyres only got 8k out the first set and now only 5k??

The cars going into VW on Wednesday but what should i avoid believing when the excuses start?

Also having the rear hubs looked at because of rust streaks and rust on the chrome tail pipes looked at.

Oh and the rear window demist doesnt work either :roll:

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
srobbie said:
Hi new to the forum really sound stuff.

I have a 2007 V6 TDI altittude. I;m onto my next set of tyres only got 8k out the first set and now only 5k??

The cars going into VW on Wednesday but what should i avoid believing when the excuses start?
First of all, don't replace like for like with the tyres (assuming Bridgestones or similar have always been fitted?)...even if VW are paying. Hankook Ventus have gone down well on here already with negible wear after 10,000 miles+
here's one thread on the topic: http://www.mytreg.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4458&hilit=+hankook

How even is the wear? Which tyres are affected? What alignment checks have been made & have you seen the results? Have you experienced any of the older symptoms of transmission glitches reported on here affecting slightly older models (tyres "hopping" when turning slowly on full lock, etc)? Have you had any transmission software upgrades?

Sorry to bombard you but there has been a history of uneven tyre wear with earlier models which largely appeared to have been sorted...VW do still seem to insist on fiting very soft tyres to these heavy cars and decent mileages then suffer.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
srobbie said:
Oh and the rear window demist doesnt work either :roll:
Which rear windows..? The very rear hatch, or the two rear side windows.....?? Cos the latter isn't a de-mister Mister, but is an internal aerial, to save having a beesting or such like...

And I second the motion on whatever Rob said...!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have a 2007 Facelift V6 TDI Altitude (Oct 07) which has now covered 4000 Miles and I would say that all four tyres are +/-50% worn !!!

I have not yet gone back to my dealer but I am very concerned about this level of wear.

My last car was a Range Rover TD6 Vogue which did 40,000 miles on a set of tyres, so I don't think that I can be accused of hard driving.

I have Air Suspension on the Touareg and wonder if the legendary tyre wear problems are worse than with standard suspension ?

Any sugestions ?

Nick

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
My 2007 SE is also at least 60% worn ... 8500 miles completed

As has been commented ... the standard tyres are just too soft for the car.

I had 4 Pirelli Scorpions fitted to my last car and I was very pleased with the wear on those ..

To be fair, all the wear is very even and I don't think I have any cause for complaint aside from fitting stupid tyres in the first place ...

Do you think anyone at VW reads these threads and passes on the bleeding obvious .... What an easy customer relationship complaint to resolve ... :evil: :evil:

Domo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wear is mainly front tyres both scrubbing outer edges and middle.
Pressure is ok and the tyres are filled with Nitrogen. Stops fluctuations in pressure etc I'm told.

The rear window tailgate doesnt work.

The cars into the dealership Wedensday so thats the first time checks will be made on the car.

I will keep you posted with what the report says, I'm sure this wont be simple!.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the car went into the dealer.
They fixed the rear demist (fused).
Changed the tailpipes under warranty.

They said that the rust on the hubs was NORMAL due to recycled materials being used!! :shock:
"Bollocks" i said you dont expect to see rust on a new car of this value!! :evil:
"yes sir we even have brand new cars in the showroom with this issue"

The tyre wear was even apparently!! although it was a grey area with regards to the inside edge being worn more than the outer so work that one out as being even. They did say they may be able to get support from VW on the tyres although not on laser alignment, but i'm of the opinion if your argueing about something which is obviously faulty then i give them the two fingered salute aand next time i shop elsewere.

Anyway after argueing the toss for far too long i decided i was getting nowhere.
So i'm getting the car some new Hankook's as suggested on this forum to see if i get more than 7K as i did from the pirellis.
The tyre place is also laser checking the geometry and if there's a fault a letter will be winging its way to the dealership for re-imbursement.

Ultimately the only loser on this would be my local dealer as i'm running 2 VW Crafter LWB vans and need two more in need of replacement in my business at not to mention the two more company cars i need - earmarked VW's before this saga but i'm thinking again on that one!! if this is how they treat customers who support there business than i will not be one for very longer. I was an Audi owner for 6 years owning some nice cars with no issues before the Touareg but i needed something to pull my double jet ski trailer. I'll let you know what the tyre results are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts