Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes , I know tyre wear has taken up many lines of comment on this forum and I've tried to find info on this aspect but to no avail.........!

I replaced all 4 tyres at approx 18k (think 2 of them had already been replaced before that by VW as it was 6months old when I got it with 7k on it). Now at 26.5k the rear tyres are almost at the point where I will have to replace them AGAIN and strangly the front ones probably have another 6k+ left on them. The rears do seem to be wearing fairly evenly so it cant put it down to alignment. Spoke to the dealer and they are going to check bushens & alignment and have said there is no pattern on the Touareg as to whether the fronts will wear faster or not, which I find rather strange but as its my first 4x4 I dont know any better. I do some towing with a medium sized garden trailer & a boat but this would only account for small % of total miles.

Anyone any similar experience and is there anything VW can do to help....... especially under warranty would be even better?

Thanks
M

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I've now been to the dealers and they said its normal for a set of tyres on the rear of the Touareg to wear out in 8/10k miles but said they would refer it to VW, even though the fronts still have a good 5/6k left in them, which was last Friday. The dealer has just come back to me and said that VW will do nothing and that it is 'natural wear and tear'.

Am I being unreasonable here, or is it acceptable to expect to get only 8k out of a set of rear tyres???!!!! Just because VW say this is the norm for a Touareg does not mean it is acceptable!

So how do I proceed from here, has anyone taken this further with VW? I do not intend to just accept this!

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
M

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not at home at the moment so cant tell you all the details but they are Hankook 19" to fit the rims on the Altitude and were the same size as those that came off it.

M

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to let you all know I got absolutly no where when I contacted VW regarding my tyre wear. Apparantly it is accpetable for the Touareg to wear out a set of tyres in 8/10k miles as it is a "high powered performance vehicle" and that my "driving style adopted, correct setting for tyre pressure and the type and condition of road surface" may be to blame as they checked the vehicle and can see no faults!!!!!!!! In other words its my fault guys, how stupid of me :wink: !!!!!!

Just to let you know, I'm not a particulary hard driver, in fact my wife drives it half the time.
I check the tyre pressures fairly regualry.
The road surface here in NI is the same as the rest of UK & IRL!

Ah well the matter is now closed as far as I am concerned, however it is things like this that I will remember when I go to change the Treg............ mind you with the credit crunch & resale values as bad as they are at the minute that will be a lot longer away than I had hoped.

Its things like this that ruin an otherwise great drive......... but you cant ignore such extreme tyre wear, plus I received no advice regarding harder tyres etc from VW....... learnt all that from you guys on here.

Tks
M

·
656 Posts
MMmmmmm
:
Not heard of a set of Hankooks only lasting 8 / 10K before. Mine have now done 22K and still have about 6mm tread depth left all round.
There is something amiss here :!:

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just back from 20,000 Service, car only done 16,000.

Safety check list:

Tyre tread depth front : 7.0mm

Rear : 3.5 - 4.5 mm

So ordered 2 new Pirelli Scorpion Verde's R19 new tread depth 8.5mm ?
Will have these fitted when wheels off and winters fitted.

Regards

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
The two new tyres MUST be the same make and the same tread pattern as those on the front so if you already have Pirelli Scorpion Verde that's fine. If not, cancel and replace with what you have.

They will probably have 8mm tread depth new and fitted to the rear is the right place for them.

But Touareg tyres normally wear pretty evenly so something doesn't seem quite right.

Have you checked the tread depths yourself?

I find garages' tread depth gauges seem to be a millimetre or two shorter than mine!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, got a fancy digital one!

·
Registered
127 Posts
rpjg said:
Just back from 20,000 Service, car only done 16,000.

Safety check list:

Tyre tread depth front : 7.0mm

Rear : 3.5 - 4.5 mm

So ordered 2 new Pirelli Scorpion Verde's R19 new tread depth 8.5mm ?
Will have these fitted when wheels off and winters fitted.
Now I have a theory for above.

Seized brake pad, front off side, (see post "mods,fixes), caused 50% + loss of braking efficiency, at that corner. Braking system compensating by reducing braking front nearside, 50% + ?, had noticed brakes compensating when braking on loose surfaces.

50% + ? braking loads transferred to rear brakes = excessive rear tyre wear.

Have not noticed any braking compensation since repairs, but have noticed a BIG improvement in overall braking !
After a 450 mile round trip to London, the other day, checked the job and found all in good order, pads bedding in, no grease flying around !, check fixing bolt torque 270 NM.

Intend additional yearly future maintenance:

1/ Remove brake pads, inspect and replace if necessary.
2/ Clean dirt and any corrosion from caliper working surfaces.
3/ Lightly lubricate with ceramic grease (check this grease out, none conductive, like copper slip is, better for use with aluminium.
4/ Check fixing bolt torques 270 NM. (front)

Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree there is something wrong, I'm running Hankooks on 18 inch wheels, 17k miles so far and all tyres wearing evenly with 6-7mm of tread left. I'd hope for another 5k+ miles on this set. Assuming your wheel alignment is correct I'd suspect the brakes may be the culprits.
I did have to replace the brake pistons and seals on the front calipers not long after I bought the car, I was looking through old mot's and spotted an advisory regarding a sticky caliper. I pulled both calipers off to give the pads and pins a clean, it was then I noticed the brake Pistons were severely corroded. The calipers are similar to motorcycle brakes in that they don't have proper dust seals around the pistons. I was quoted nearly a grand for new Pistons and seals from Volkswagen, needless to say I didn't go down this route. Instead I found a company (Big Red or similar) that supplied a full set of front brake Pistons and seals for about £180.
I'm not sure you would feel a sticky caliper on such a heavy, powerful car, what I did notice was after driving the car the front right wheel was slightly warm from the heat generated by the sticky brakes and I'm pretty sure this would have had a bearing on tyre wear had I left it.

Jim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts