Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Scottie's friend from across the pond popping in again. My dad has a V10 TDI, there aren't too many around these parts and the VW forums here aren't as friendly as you guys are

Anyway, he has been experiencing excessive exhaust smoke every now and then. It happens at different times. It can happen accelerating from a stop or while traveling at highway speeds. The smoke is white, not black, but is an overwhemling cloud. People have flagged him down to tell him about all the smoke, or just hung back to stay away. He's not sure (neither are the VW techs) whether this is a normal burnoff or if there is an issue.

I did a search but only came up with a thread on black smoke upon acceleration. If anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Laura

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
White smoke is normally an indication of water - head gasket gone, that type of thing.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Shouldn't the diesel filter catch fuel borne water?

But then again, perhaps that filter needs changing?

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
cmyx5go

Use the Search facility under the banner heading above.
Type in "white smoke" and a bunch of posts will be revealed.
hth.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Nimrod said:
cmyx5go

Use the Search facility under the banner heading above.
Type in "white smoke" and a bunch of posts will be revealed.
hth.
True...but no sure how helpful any of them are, to be fair....can't see one relating to a V10 for starters...and it doesn't sound like the usual "aux heater" trick.

I'd be thinking along same lines as nooby and suspecting the head gasket(s)...

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Nimrod said:
Chris,
just letting the op know what we have already posted.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'm guessing he must be getting bad diesel every now and then. It was at the dealer yesterday and they found nothing wrong. He has no other symptoms or issues with the Treg other than the occassional burst of smoke.

And for what it's worth, I did a search on excessive exhaust before posting which yielded one result. I never thought to search white smoke. Sorry.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts