Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a new Treg owner, recently purchased a 2015 7P 180kw Diesel.
We flew to Queensland and drove the car back to South Australia, over 2000km and the car was faultless and we instantly loved the car coming from mainly Mazda's.
Last week I went to drive the car and received the error Parking Brake Fault, there was nothing I could do to clear the error and despite extensive research online I couldn't find a solution and the car was towed to a local dealer, the car was parked in my garage and had to be dragged out onto a tow truck as the back wheels were locked.
The diagnosis from the dealer is the rear parking brake motor failed, and I am currently waiting for a replacement motor to be shipped over from Sydney, all up the job is going to cost $1270.
Sadly, not a great introduction to my Treg.

I would like to know how many others have experienced this problem, is it common, should I expect that the other side will fail as well ?

My concern is if this happened in a multi story car park, on a long trip or on the beach, which is where we were heading on the day it failed, I could be in for a whole lot of pain. There is no way it could have been lifted onto a tow truck if in a multi story car park.

I didn't have access to VSDS at the time of failure, I did download Carista and with the OBD I could see the error but there was no option to retract the rear pads, I am assumming if the option was there it wouldn't have worked as the motor had failed.

Additional Questions;
  • Has anyone managed to find a solution to get out of trouble when a park brake motor fails ?
  • Has anyone managed to repair a faulty motor ?
  • Are there any Technical Service Bulletins covering this issue, any chance there has been a recall or covered by extended warranty ?

Cheers

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
I'd also try posting this in the "down under" section on the sister site:

www.clubtouareg.com

Reactions: Deltaflyer

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
34 Posts
Welcome to the club and sorry to hear about your problem. You're finding one of the challenges of a Treg is that they are complex and that dealers charge rip off prices for any repairs. If you cant work on it yourself you need to find a good independent mechanic.

I have not tried it but you should be able to remove a failed park brake motor and manual wind back the shoe. You should also be able to drive it slowly and wear down the shoe if needed until its worn enough to drive until it can be replaced. I have accidently driven short distances in my driveway with the parking brake on when I want to move the car and dont put on the seat belt which automatically turns off the brake on my model, so the engine can over come the brake :)

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi,
I am a new Treg owner, recently purchased a 2015 7P 180kw Diesel.
We flew to Queensland and drove the car back to South Australia, over 2000km and the car was faultless and we instantly loved the car coming from mainly Mazda's.
Last week I went to drive the car and received the error Parking Brake Fault, there was nothing I could do to clear the error and despite extensive research online I couldn't find a solution and the car was towed to a local dealer, the car was parked in my garage and had to be dragged out onto a tow truck as the back wheels were locked.
The diagnosis from the dealer is the rear parking brake motor failed, and I am currently waiting for a replacement motor to be shipped over from Sydney, all up the job is going to cost $1270.
Sadly, not a great introduction to my Treg.

I would like to know how many others have experienced this problem, is it common, should I expect that the other side will fail as well ?

My concern is if this happened in a multi story car park, on a long trip or on the beach, which is where we were heading on the day it failed, I could be in for a whole lot of pain. There is no way it could have been lifted onto a tow truck if in a multi story car park.

I didn't have access to VSDS at the time of failure, I did download Carista and with the OBD I could see the error but there was no option to retract the rear pads, I am assumming if the option was there it wouldn't have worked as the motor had failed.

Additional Questions;
  • Has anyone managed to find a solution to get out of trouble when a park brake motor fails ?
  • Has anyone managed to repair a faulty motor ?
  • Are there any Technical Service Bulletins covering this issue, any chance there has been a recall or covered by extended warranty ?

Cheers
Similar problem on a Volvo in a multi storey. Recovery guys put my rear wheels on dollys and drove it to the entrance then winched it onto the truck. At the garage the mechanic called them some names and disconnected plugs at motors and wound them back using a battery.

Mine was the parking brake control module and I asked the mechanic what he would do if it was a motor failure. He pointed to two bolts and said remove them, pull motor off and wind pad back. No need to drag cars around because of a failure

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
I have accidently driven short distances in my driveway with the parking brake on when I want to move the car and dont put on the seat belt which automatically turns off the brake on my model, so the engine can over come the brake
Can't you release the parking brake manually using the switch to drive without the seatbelt fastened.?

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
34 Posts
Can't you release the parking brake manually using the switch to drive without the seatbelt fastened.?
Yes I can and you need to have your foot on the brake pedal to do it if the seat belt is not fastened but I tend to forget on occasions as I normally never release it using the switch :) I guess it stops the brake drums from getting to rusty haha

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the club and sorry to hear about your problem. You're finding one of the challenges of a Treg is that they are complex and that dealers charge rip off prices for any repairs. If you cant work on it yourself you need to find a good independent mechanic.

I have not tried it but you should be able to remove a failed park brake motor and manual wind back the shoe. You should also be able to drive it slowly and wear down the shoe if needed until its worn enough to drive until it can be replaced. I have accidently driven short distances in my driveway with the parking brake on when I want to move the car and dont put on the seat belt which automatically turns off the brake on my model, so the engine can over come the brake :)

cheers
Rohan
Thanks, Having only owned the car for 3 weeks I have not had a chance to get across all the technical details, I do plan to work on it myself in the future.
I did try to move it with the handbrake locked on and it didnt want to move :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts