Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 T4 has developed a rattle/clatter from the rear nearside engine area. It is only there from a cold start and starts after about 15 seconds and lasts for about 2 - 3 minutes before it can no longer be heard. No issues with the car apart from that. Engine is on 13k miles now. Have taken it to dealers who agree it can be heard but can not identify it. Had all the soundproofing off and even serpentine belt too. I will try to add a sound file and the noise will be heard from 15 seconds and seems a little louder as engine returns to idle after I blip the throttle.
Anyone got any ideas/thoughts? This is most frustrating! Dealers are waiting on getting a tech guy from VW to call in....
Huh. "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" File is a sound file from a mobile. Anyone know how I can add it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a guess, possibly a lazy hydraulic valve lifter.
Thanks for input. Have heard that this affected earlier models but the noise goes with oil pressure in a few seconds? Mine rattles away for 3 minutes!
Wish I could get the sound file to upload.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks for input. Have heard that this affected earlier models but the noise goes with oil pressure in a few seconds? Mine rattles away for 3 minutes!
Timing chain tensioner / guides

·
Registered
139 Posts
My VW TAPPED away for at least 3 minutes from cold, and was a sticky hydraulic valve lifter..............but its not a rattle, just a half engine speed tapping.

Chain tensioners being hydraulic...............possibly sticky tensioner, if I was abetting person I would put £20 on it.,

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,880 Posts
In the olden days, we'd have run some flushing oil through at the next oil change but in a poorly maintained engine that could release lumps of carbon which could block the oilways completely.

I've no experience how our V6 TDi reacts to that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My VW TAPPED away for at least 3 minutes from cold, and was a sticky hydraulic valve lifter..............but its not a rattle, just a half engine speed tapping.

Chain tensioners being hydraulic...............possibly sticky tensioner, if I was abetting person I would put £20 on it.,
Thanks all for comments. Think you are right in that its lifters or chain BUT, trying to get VW to commit to engine out is not going well. Dealer is trying to get someone down from VW but nothing yet.
The lifter noise sounds favourite as the tapping is not at engine speed yet its more audible as revs die down from a blip up to around 1500rpm.
All this on a 15month old car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the olden days, we'd have run some flushing oil through at the next oil change but in a poorly maintained engine that could release lumps of carbon which could block the oilways completely.

Actually, I was thinking about changing oil and using a 507 but the Shell Helix 0w 30 one as its thinner and might shift something? Then I wonder what VW would say if I used the "wrong" grade oil, so have not done it....yet!

·
Registered
139 Posts

I did that (3000 miles from new) made no difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did that (3000 miles from new) made no difference.
Helisupp - Did VW change the sticking lifter and did that stop the tapping noise? Interested as yours is the same age as mine (mine registered June '18).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Helisupp - Did VW change the sticking lifter and did that stop the tapping noise? Interested as yours is the same age as mine (mine registered June '18).
Changing the sticking lazy lifter would have cured it, but VW were not interested, said "its common", I traded it in at 6 months old for another vehicle as the gearbox started to rattle badly when cold (friday afternoon car I suppose)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changing the sticking lazy lifter would have cured it, but VW were not interested, said "its common", I traded it in at 6 months old for another vehicle as the gearbox started to rattle badly when cold (friday afternoon car I suppose)
Don't like the sound of a rattle from gearbox either! I am beginning to regret buying it and may well trade it for a Land Rover as I am not getting much help from VW. Shame as my 07 Golf in comparison is faultless.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't like the sound of a rattle from gearbox either! I am beginning to regret buying it and may well trade it for a Land Rover as I am not getting much help from VW. Shame as my 07 Golf in comparison is faultless.
Frying pan to fire, my daughter has an Evoque, what a nightmare visiting dealers for warranty work, we could probably write a book about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine had a bad rattle on starting from cold took it back after investigation it was the timing chain tensioner vw replaced as under warranty had the car for nearly two weeks ???? and said if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost me £3000+ ???? ,all good now.
Still has a slight tick on cold but told that's a sticky lifter , bought some Wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment, and that has made a big difference.????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine had a bad rattle on starting from cold took it back after investigation it was the timing chain tensioner vw replaced as under warranty had the car for nearly two weeks ???? and said if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost me £3000+ ???? ,all good now.
Still has a slight tick on cold but told that's a sticky lifter , bought some Wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment, and that has made a big difference.????
Glad to hear the stealer sorted yours out at that cost! Not cheap cars to maintain.
Mine? Well I finally got so fed up I wrote to Andrew Savvas at Executive Office. After some exchanges they finally agreed to send a Tech down from Milton Keynes to diagnose it. And so he did. He diagnosed it as a noisy vacuum pump and the best bit? - he then said it was a "CHARACTERISTIC" of the model. So no work to replace it. Shame as its apparently in the SUMP as its driven off the back of the oil pump and thats an engine out job.
I did expect more from them given the price of the car, but no. They did try a few things over the year and replaced the torque converter as it does sound from that area to be fair. And thats where it is - just behind it in the sump.
I asked to be shown how it was diagnosed and they did. Start it, undo the vacuum pipe at a join by the servo and block the pipe with a finger and lift on and off. Bingo. Rattle stops and starts.

Not happy but living with it until warranty out.
Oh, and the sunroof overflows and pees water over the fuse panel front right. Drains are not blocked. Dealer "couldnt detect a leak sir"
It also lost coolant - described as "normal". But they filled the reservoir right up to the very top as "thats normal for these". So I got home and drained it out to the markings on the bottle.

I know it all depends on having a good dealer. I dont. And my Golf is now serviced by me and no other muppet.

Hope yours does you proud. I have to say, I have never driven such a fun and comfortable car, and I have driven one or two makes over the years!
Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts