Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the topic about the correct engine oil for the 3Ltd V6. I bought Mobil 1 5W30 for my 2017 Touareg. I did ask the supplier if this is the correct oil. I have put Mobile 1 oil in my cars engines for many decades.
Presumably this is the correct oil for this verhcals engine.
What oil do other members put in theirs. Do we know the make VW use when they do a service.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That answers my question then. Yes the Mobile1 is 507 and it also says on the pack its ok for VW.507... Sorted. ????

·
Registered
42 Posts
That answers my question then. Yes the Mobile1 is 507 and it also says on the pack its ok for VW.507... Sorted. ????
Simple answer to simple question, great. One of the reasons I had this to hand is that I recently had mine serviced and the printed service schedule had VW.506.something listed. Concerned I contacted them, they said their maintenance management software had told them 506 was the correct oil. Luckily the technician had questioned the oil type, after further investigation they found 507 was correct and had used it. They've now notified their software provider. Just goes to show though that you can't be too careful and it doesn't harm to make sure the right oil will be used.

My basic understanding of the difference between 506 and 507 is that 507 releases less DPF blocking artifacts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. You would have thought the dealer would all the correct specifications.

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
Lesson 1: do not rely on the dealers' "knowledge"!

The Touareg was launched 20 years ago.

The dealers didn't want it back then and they still don't want it now.

They are geared up to sell hundreds of the little tin boxes in the rest of range.

The Touareg (and the Phaeton) owners were and still are a bloody nuisance to them.

There is a very, very good reason why VW 506.01 is essential - a MUST use - in early R5s and V10s, but quite a few dealers incorrectly think VW 507.00 is the right oil!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Which engine do you have ?

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
The specification of oil will most likely be different for your region due to hotter climates - you would really need to check with VW as the general advice on oil we discuss here relates to the UK/EU region, however the point in using older specifications will address the issue of premature camshaft lobe wear 🤔

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good point Cass, the pic I posted is from the UK manual. And doesn't have the engine the OP has either.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Font Parallel Electric blue Rectangle Number

Looks like the OP has a CGRA engine and that means either 504:00 for flexible service interval or 502:00 for fixed service interval,

There is no mention of different oil spec for different market areas just for the OP market area on the fixed interval it's oil change every 5000km or yearly whatever comes first

1 - 13 of 13 Posts