Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Had my '07 2.5 SE Treg for 2 weeks now and am loving every mile. It came with a full years VW approved used car warranty (6 months original plus 6 months top-up). However, this morning, started fine as normal and set off for work and within 200yds the MFD flashed the Engine Fault message, car went into limp-home mode and it looked like the Glow Plug sign came up in the Tacho. I persevered until getting to a suitable place to stop (single track roads), where I shut off, waited a minute and restarted. It all cleared and was fine all the way to work (22 miles). Do you think this is a Glow Plug prob that will come back again when starting engine from cold again tonight?

Cheers
Duncan

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Hard to tell what the warning actually was. The Treg system keeps a track of fault codes and the number of times they occur. After a succesful startup without the fault certain codes have their count reduced, and may then be cancelled completely.

Living where you do I would recommend that you purchase an OBD-USB cable and get a free copy of VAG-COM .
See details on the rosstech website. Mine cost around ?12 from fleabay.

Search this site for references to VAG-COM,
At least then with a laptop you can access the diagnostic system and get a list of any fault codes. That might come in handy in case you ever need to have a meaningful dialogue with a dealer on the mainland.

Alasdair

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
I'm not into diesels but does this engine have the particulate filter thingummy? From what little I do know, I understand that low mileages at low speeds on engines fitted with these can be problematic as the filter can block.

I'm sure some other Tregger will be along soon to advise.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Guys,

Two cold starts later and it has not re-occurred. That's a really good idea to buy a cable, I'll do that post haste. Luckily we have a VW Service Agent (a very good one) up here so hopefully any warranty problems can be resolved without resorting to the Mainland although I'm not sure if they have a Touareg Technician.
The only other thing that is a slight concern is the amount of white smoke/steam I'm noticing in the mirrors, it doesn't seem to get less when the car is up to temp. Coolant, Oil and fuel consumption are all ok, I'm thinking this may be just a trait of a 2.5.

Thanks for the help.
Duncan

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Have you inspected the inside of the oil filler cap? If there is a thick brown cream you may have got a head gasket problem.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Some of your steam may be coming from the auxiliary heater,it'll be more noticeable in your climate.
Enter "auxiliary heater"in the Search facility,found in the banner above,and all will be revealed.

G

·
Don't want to ruin your day Duncan, but I don't think it's normal to notice water vapour from the exhaust beyond the first couple of miles, even on damp/cold days. It's not something I have ever noticed in my mirrors - typical work trip for me is around 10 miles.

Have you seen any other Tregs in Shetland? You might get a chance to compare exhaust emissions

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
andynpz said:
Don't want to ruin your day Duncan, but I don't think it's normal to notice water vapour from the exhaust beyond the first couple of miles, even on damp/cold days. It's not something I have ever noticed in my mirrors - typical work trip for me is around 10 miles.

Have you seen any other Tregs in Shetland? You might get a chance to compare exhaust emissions
Don't get this in my 2.5 either.
Hope some of it is the aux heater from the front.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
The other thing is whether you are only doing short, low speed runs on the island. Whilst the water heater will get the engine temperature up to speed quickly, the exhaust system will still be cold, hence the steam.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had something a bit similar happen to me today. I was driving along when suddenly I noticed a momentary loss of power, the MIL came on and stayed on, and the glow plug light flashed on.
The engine seemed to behave normally but the gearbox was behaving very strangely. The display showed it was in third gear all the time, even when it changed gear. It wouldn't go in to sixth gear. When pulling off from a standing start it wouldn't pick the right gear and would take an age to accelerate. I managed to finish the journey, rebooted the car and all was fine. Later I completed the 10 mile journey home without incident. For those that way incline, I ran a VAG COM check and it looks as if there was a momentary bus problem...... I've chopped out the bits with nothing of interest on it.

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09D-927-750.lbl
Part No: 09D 927 750 AH
Component: AL 600 6Q 0398
Coding: 0004136
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent - MIL ON

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 7L0-907-379-MK25.lbl
Part No: 7L0 907 379 C
Component: ESP ALLRAD MK25 0107
Coding: 0022785

1 Fault Found:
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. Labels: 3D0-909-13x-05.lbl
Part No SW: 3D0 909 135 L HW: 5WK 470 22
Component: Kessy 6400
Coding: 0147688

Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: ELV XXXX

1 Fault Found:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 7L6-937-049.lbl
Part No: 7L6 937 049 L
Component: 2703
Coding: 0111868

2 Faults Found:
00907 - Intervention load Management
000 - -
01299 - Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533)
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

Address 11: Engine II Labels: None
Part No SW: 070 906 016 AA HW: 028 101 148 1
Component: V10 5,0L EDCG000AGS?5358
Coding: 0010575

2 Faults Found:
17111 - RPM Signal from ECU: No Signal
P0727 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1512 /min
Torque: 323.9 Nm
Speed: 70.2 km/h
Load: 25.5 %
Voltage: 13.83 V
Bin. Bits: 00001000
Idle Stabilization: 0.0?KW
RPM: 756 /min

18315 - Engine Databus: ECU<->ECU Communications Fault
P1907 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1554 /min
Torque: 213.3 Nm
Speed: 70.2 km/h
Load: 25.5 %
Voltage: 13.91 V
Bin. Bits: 00001000
Torque: 458.2 Nm
Torque: 323.9 Nm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 17: Instruments Labels: 7L6-920-xxx-17-7LA.lbl
Part No: 7L6 920 980 C
Component: KOMBIINSTRUMENT RB4 2820
Coding: 0005411

2 Faults Found:
00464 - Control Module with Display for Radio and Navigation (J503)

Address 18: Aux. Heat Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 7L6 815 071 A
Component: Standheizung E1MAC 0121
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
01126 - Engine Speed Signal
008 - Implausible Signal

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<>CAN 0101
Coding: 0000006

2 Faults Found:
00464 - Control Module with Display for Radio and Navigation (J503)

Address 22: AWD Labels: None
Part No: 0AD 927 755 AB
Component: TRANSFERCASE 0094
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000

1 Fault Found:

Other items of note, I have an RNS510 installed with a Kufatec CAN adapter, since I had a flat battery at the weekend the interface hadn't been working. I've sorted it out tonight by unplugging it and plugging it back in again.
There was a B&B OBDII interface connected to the OBDII, when the fault occurred the ECU data went off and the interface took a minute or so to reset itself.
I had a CAN interface monitoring the interface which connects from the car to teh Kufatec to get engine speed and road speed data, this continued to produce data throughout the incident.

Not sure if it's of any relevance, but it sounds like it could be a similar problem to me.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, sorry not to have responded earlier but I was off-island yesterday.
Same fault occurred Tuesday. Have contacted local VW agent and am having it checked out next week.
White smoke seems to be getting worse but still no coolant loss, no signs of contamination in coolant, no oil loss and no creamy mousse in the Rocker Cover. My 22 mile commute is nearly always at a steady 60mph (good roads, hardly any traffic)so engine well warmed by the end. Only thing I have noticed this week is I'm having to use the demister regularly as the windscreen keeps fogging over. Temp up here at the moment has been 11-12 degrees, so not that cold in the grand scheme of things. I'm starting to think I may have a bigger problem with the smoke, shame as I've only had it a fortnight, but there again, that's what warranties are for.

Cheers Guys

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Are you using the aircon to stop the windscreen misting? Mine works best like this.

When misted inside, does the windscreen clear evenly by the way when the fan's on?

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,
Noobytoogy,
Yep I'm using the Aircon to clear the mist,just one press of the button clears the screen from the bottom up in about 30 secs.
Nimrod,

Old Oil Cooler Problem?

Thanks for the interest & replies, this is a really pleasant and helpful forum.
Duncan

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
There was a recall to replace the oil cooler.
My 2.5 is 56 reg and i had it done.
not sure if it applies to later cars.
Use the search facility above,put in "oil cooler",see what it brings up.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Oil and coolant mix and contaminate. Lots of Tregs had this [use the search facility] but I thought they were early ones.

Anyway, off to the dealer ASAP methinks.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Seeing advice from Honest John in The Daily Telegraph this morning to someone else with misting problems reminded me that I meant to suggest you change your pollen filter.

There are "how to" posts on here about that - use the search facility.

They cost ?20 or so and take 10 minutes to change. As your car is two years old it's quite possible this hasn't been done yet.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fault has come back every other morning this last week. had Treg into local VW approved repairer yesterday where an excellent technician went through all the VAG Diagnostics. Only 3 Fault Codes registered , one was Turbocharger Low Initial Boost pressure, next Faulty Exhaust Pressure Sensor and last one Faulty R/H Speed Sensor. Tech thought last one was an old fault code that hadn't been cleared as I have never had the ABS warning light on. He then connected the Portable tester and went through a Road Test Sequence, brought the car back and cleared the codes. All in all this took three quarters of an hour for which the dealer will get very little back (warranty on diagnostics is a pittance), but their willingness to help and good humour with no trying to rush has gained them a new customer.
They have ordered the Pressure sensor, something he says VW has had a big problem with on the Transporter for years. They corrode due to moisture coming back from the exhaust through the pipes to the sensor. He has changed loads, usually every two years for the Transporters, apparently VW are, or have modified the new generation of Exhaust pressure sensor to cope with this.
Will let you know how I get on when part arrives on-Island.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Intersted to know how this was resolved. I had exactly the same thing happen to me this morning including the glow plug light.This was after about 1.5 miles of driving. My drive is about 1/2 mile to motorway then normal motorway driving. As the faut came up the engine went into what i can only describe as limp home mode. Pulled off the motorway after about 3/4 of a mile. Stopped turned off the engine, waited about 30 secs and fired her back up. No errors. Drove the rest of the journey (19 miles, mainly motorway / dual carridgeway) with no issues. Drove home tonight with no issues. very wierd. not driving the Treg again till Sat (joys of the C3 tomorrow......hmmmmmmmmm........) , so we will see..............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts