Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Touareg has a pronounced 'clatter' between 2000 and 3000 rpm. (Yes, nooby, I know it's a diesel - this is abnormal clatter
)

It came on a few weeks ago within a couple of weeks of picking the car up. And it has got worse recently: under acceleration, going up an incline, it rattles and clatters. Just like a Rover 2000 pinking on four star ... Anyway, strangely, it is less pronounced in Sport or Tiptronic. Then, lately, I haven't been enjoying my driving quite so much. I'd get out of the car not thinking what a fantastic drive that was, as I usually do. I've noticed the engine revs hunting like Linn1000 mentions that he gets occasionally. And it's been sluggish. Except in sport or tiptronic ...

Anyway, all of that was written in the present tense. But as of this afternoon, it is all past tense. The problem has stopped. Completely. Gone. Vapourised. I'll tell you what I did. In a client's car park this afternoon, I just did the gearbox reset for the first time since I've owned the car. Sorted! Different car.

Motoring is a joy in 'D' again! And the clatter has disappeared.

What was it? Any ideas?

Chris

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Wurzel]My Touareg has a pronounced said:
abnormal[/i] clatter
)

Chris
Bugger - I was already hitting the post a reply key!!

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Being a fuzzy logic gearbox it could have been 2 things

ilogical fuzzy logic

or

Fuzzy fuzzy logic

mine does the same in drive - I just re-set it every month or as soon as the rattle starts. The rattle souns like its in the gear lever assembly

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Put key in ignition, switch ignition on but do not start car, press throttle pedal to the floor and hold fully down for 30 secs, release throttle pedal and switch ignition off. Gearbox now reset

Cass

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Latest news on this fault is that is could be a fuel pump sensor, apparently. I've been monitoring it and what seems to happen is that the engine just seems to come in and out of tune. One day the lump is its usual sweet, sweet self and the next it's only quite sweet.

Anyway, going to investigate the fuel pump sensor thing.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My dealers, [email protected], actually got the intermittent clatter to occur and have rectified the fault.

Their solution?

More insulation behind the dash.

·
66 Posts
Cass said:
Put key in ignition, switch ignition on but do not start car, press throttle pedal to the floor and hold fully down for 30 secs, release throttle pedal and switch ignition off. Gearbox now reset

Cass
I tried this yesterday and it fixed the hesitance. Unfortunately now this morning I got a Brake Assist Workshop warning plus the ESP light on! Grrrr. Off to the Stealers in the morning!

·
66 Posts
Nimrod said:
Most likely sensor gazz.
I had this,if brakes feel the same,then safe to use.
Cheers Nimrod... Checked around and no lose wires I could see so being such a common fault I am hoping its this. Car stops and Hill start works fine so I'll book it in for this and some TLC in the morning.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Gazz300 said:
I tried this yesterday and it fixed the hesitance. Unfortunately now this morning I got a Brake Assist Workshop warning plus the ESP light on! Grrrr. Off to the Stealers in the morning!
Lights going haywire on the dash including brake assist, even windows going down on thier own, could be a sign that the battery is on it's way out... could just be the cold affecting things.

·
66 Posts
Finally got the Treg in today. Sat down had a coffee. Guy came over I said its a G201 sensor gone. Yes he said how did you know? I said you already knew that and you have one in and it will take two hours to fit. Do you want to fit it? he said. No I said but if you can I'd be grateful. Downside was it was ?75 to tell me what I already knew plus the sensor and two hours fitting. ?300 all in. I felt robbed but in a nice way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts