Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very new to this, so be kind. I have an 03 V6 which has just had a new alternator and battery plus a temp control switch.
now my indicators have decided to not 'click' when on. but they are still working. as i have no clue with regards to mechanical things, is this a fuse or more serious.
:

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Just for clarity, when you push the indicator level up to turn right or down to turn left, the lever stays where it is until it cancels either by you turning the steering wheel back to the straight ahead position or you cancel the signal manually by returning the lever to the level or mid-way point and the problem you have is that you cannot hear the warning click, click, click whilst the indicators are actually operating?

Is the flashing green light that indicates when the winkers are operatiing still working or has this disappeared along with the warning noise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, the click clack sound disapears intermitdly, came back last night, then went, then came back again. all lights and indicators are working! very odd.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Wonder if its a duff micro switch in the seat belt assembly

The clicking sound on the indicators doesn't work if you have your seat belt undone and the seat belt warning alarm has been sounding

Maybe a dodgy contact?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i afraid to say the seat belt was on and secure when the click clack stoped i was turning in to my road when it stopped the first time. it has no set pattern as to when and where it stops. any other ideas? many thanks

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Dadipope said:
i afraid to say the seat belt was on and secure when the click clack stoped i was turning in to my road when it stopped the first time. it has no set pattern as to when and where it stops. any other ideas? many thanks
Sorry - didn't explain myself too well

If the switch has a faulty contact, it may be giving a false reading to the element that tells the indicator to make a clicking sound, even if you seatbelt is fastened.

Microswitches are a common cause of false readings and common failures occur on the Wiring Loom in the Steering Column, and in the seatbelt tensioning system on the drivers/passengers seat - often leading to false warnings or apparent loss of function

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Any microswitches I've had replaced have been done under warrenty so not sure on cost, but I know that when I had the airbag warning light issue resolved they had to remove the seat

No doubt VW will charge an arm and a leg as its about ?95 an hour labour along with the ?86 initial diagnosis fee
- may be worth taking to an independent auto electrician or an independent VW garage to get it checked out using the microswitches in the seatbelt system as a starting point for diagnosis

Also, when the switch is replaced, the warning system needs re-setting with a VAG-COM - I know there are a few brave souls on here who have one, but I don't like getting my fingers mucky on such an expensive toy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok many thanks i have an independant locally and ill get them to have a look, mind you its all ok at the moment so i may just wait untill it goes again. thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts