Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
please bear with me, it may be a long post.
I tend to lurk in the background but now I’ve got an issue that I would like to discuss.
Last weekend I towed my caravan 250 miles to Strathclyde Country Park for an overnight stay: no issues.
Next day we were travelling another 100 miles or so to our campsite near Oban for 5 nights.
Half way through this journey the car (2016 R Line 262 HP) lost power after a long downhill descent. I thought at first the caravan brakes were stuck on so stopped in lay-by to check but found no issue.
restarted car and back to normal and completed journey OK.
Next day without the caravan, did the same. Borrowed a code reader and found 2 pending codes 0402 and 0101.
these were reset but on the way back to site lost power with code 0402 pending again.
Called VW assist who sent local garage who diagnosed EGR flow excessive. Reset code and advised to try again. This time it failed with 0101 MAF sensor invalid value.
Recovery back to England (350 miles) arranged for Friday, the day I was due to leave site.
Car not driven between Tuesday and Friday when it was loaded onto transporter for journey home.
Return to England not possible until Tuesday so was held in garage’s storage pound during some torrential rain.
Received car back at local VW dealer to repair under used car warranty so between Friday and Tuesday only driven on and off low loaders and 500 yards to dealer.
They have assessed the car and are blaming the fault on a saturated air filter and housing and suggesting that I must have driven during heavy rain/ through a big puddle. Remember the car has only moved a short distance during the past 5 days (apart from 350 miles facing forward on an AA recovery truck.
I think that the rainwater has entered the forward facing inlet trumpet during transport and the saturated filter only happened on the way home as the air filter housing did not drain properly.
They are not treating this as warranty work and want to charge me for a new filter and the diagnostics before and after (£200 !!!) I am reluctant to pay this.
Any my point is this:
I see there is a service campaign 24D0 that deals with blocked drains in the air filter housing.
When was this issued and should it have been done at the pre-sales service in October 2020?
I don’t think this addresses the original issue which happened after an unremarkable journey with short spells of light to medium rain.
I suspect they are going to try and use the wet air filter as a get out clause to avoid doing any work under warranty.
Have you any words of advice or ammunition I can use?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Pat.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
You need to check that your Treg falls within the update campaign - as far as I recall the 24D0 came out in 2018. Ask your dealer to confirm whether the vehicle falls within the build model dates (they will know or be able to confirm this with VW) and whether they carried out a check on this prior to selling it to you. Ask these questions in writing/email and get replies in writing/email. Send your emails to the Sales or Service Manager at the dealership and do not deal with the salesperson who sold you the car or front line service staff - they don’t have the clout and will most likely fob you off.

I wouldn’t pay for the diagnostic work until you have an answer to the question. The air filter becoming wet is a known fault on the T4 (and some T3 models). If it wasn’t checked or done by the dealer it’s possible that the may not have prepped the car fully within the Das WeltAuto used vehicle checklist which they publicise on the VW website. You can use this to query their answer to the 24D0 update question.

If you get no joy from the dealer, you should contact VW UK Customer Care to raise the matter with them, but be advised that they often do little to support owners over their dealers. They will have information on the 24D0

As to the EGR/MAF issues, you might have to have this looked at as the EGR can get very clogged up through too many short journeys and the quality of fuel used, however this would again be hard to prove.

Let us know how you get on 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to check that your Treg falls within the update campaign - as far as I recall the 24D0 came out in 2018. Ask your dealer to confirm whether the vehicle falls within the build model dates (they will know or be able to confirm this with VW) and whether they carried out a check on this prior to selling it to you. Ask these questions in writing/email and get replies in writing/email. Send your emails to the Sales or Service Manager at the dealership and do not deal with the salesperson who sold you the car or front line service staff - they don’t have the clout and will most likely fob you off.

I wouldn’t pay for the diagnostic work until you have an answer to the question. The air filter becoming wet is a known fault on the T4 (and some T3 models). If it wasn’t checked or done by the dealer it’s possible that the may not have prepped the car fully within the Das WeltAuto used vehicle checklist which they publicise on the VW website. You can use this to query their answer to the 24D0 update question.

If you get no joy from the dealer, you should contact VW UK Customer Care to raise the matter with them, but be advised that they often do little to support owners over their dealers. They will have information on the 24D0

As to the EGR/MAF issues, you might have to have this looked at as the EGR can get very clogged up through too many short journeys and the quality of fuel used, however this would again be hard to prove.

Let us know how you get on 👍
The dealer fitted a new air filter and modified the drain tubes as per the technical bulletin. Car all good now.
I was confident that I wouldn't have to pay but the dealer was adamant that its not covered on the extended warranty.
I am puzzled as a technical bulletin basically admits there is a known issue.
Paid out £201 to get car back but letter to customer services coming up.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,891 Posts
This is unbelievable... the whole point of the campaign is the prevent the issue that occurred to your car. It's supposed to be carried out foc whenever the vehicle is in a VW workshop.
No Idea what the dealer is playing at there! :oops:

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
I’d be looking to recover the monies from the dealer. Write/email to VW UK if they don’t refund you 😡

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I complained about this in a letter to VW customer services.
I received a phone call to discuss my dissatisfaction. They are looking to make a goodwill gesture towards the repair.
I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I complained about this in a letter to VW customer services.
I received a phone call to discuss my dissatisfaction. They are looking to make a goodwill gesture towards the repair.
I'll wait and see.
You can't beat a good letter (y)

It forces the recipient to reply

Reactions: Cass
1 - 7 of 7 Posts