Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sept 07 reg 2.5TDI is about to go in for its 3rd Flywheel to be fitted. ( 3 fitted plus the one it came with makes 4)
A very bad vibration comes into it when you lock the wheel to one side and blip the throttle.

The dealer also stripped the bottom end and replaced a Balancing pulley/shaft. Still didn't sort it .

This is the 3rd flywheel and I don't believe it will fix it . It sounds like a massey ferguson when the vibration comes into it. Almost sounds like it goes down on a cylinder............

Anyone else had this problem.

The dealer said he has 3 others doing similar things all 2.5TDI's.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hi,

Why are they just changing it again? This makes no sense to me - VW have to pay for this everytime, so just changing it again without fixing the problem makes no sense - what's there explanation?

Kaine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last job done was the Balancing shaft /pulley on the bottom of the engine. They believe this was at fault and was messing up the balancing and knocking out the dual mass flywheel. As they changed the balancing shaft/pulley and this failed to sort the problem they believe they should of fitted a new flywheel at the same time . That is what they are trying now.

All that concerns me is that my warranty is up in about 2 months and I want it sorted..........

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Yep, I agree needs sorting. And I agree with Kaine. Try calling one of our well thought of dealers, maybe Windrush Maidenhead, and talking to them about it and see what they'd recommend doing. Just swapping the flywheels continuously sounds daft ...

Chris

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
There is a more fundamental problem here I think.

But first, have the replacement flywheels are come from the same batch? If so, they could be duds.

I'd go right back to basics as in have they inspected the crankshaft the flywheel is attached to?

And in the meantime, get on to VW GB and tell them that even if the warranty expires, you have a problem car that you will expect them to carry on fixing until it is right. See a solicitor if necessary.

G

·
Aaaaaahhh a vibration from hell that just wont go away. I had that with my Jeep Cherokee and after a year Jeep finally agreed to buy it back as it was not fit for purpose.
Trading standards are your friends; whilst they take a while to investigate TS really do come up trumps!
Record all the events, retain all the receipts and then give them a call and they should help you either replace like for like of buy it back.

I have to admit that it did get a little nasty towards the end with the owner of the franchise threatening to take the case to court however after I educated him with the facts that (a) I would have the truck sign written and parked outside the garage with factual information and legally there was nothing he could do about it (
I am a director of a rather large company which was considerably bigger which has a full time legal team and finally (c) trading standards was backing my case. Once suitably educated I departed the garage with ?bring it on? and within 30 minutes my mobile rang and they agreed to buy the piece of crap off me!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
dantheman said:
A very bad vibration comes into it when you lock the wheel to one side and blip the throttle.
'
dantheman said:
Anyone else had this problem.
I'm going to check mine - does the vibration only happen on full lock?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it can happen anytime when the engine is ideling . You can make it happen instantly if you full lock the steering and just blip the throttle . I assumed it was a very common problem but after searching this Forum I can't find anyone else with similar problems>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
On full lock and with the throttle "blipped", the power steering pump will be taking considerable stick.

Somewhere else on here someone described this recently a very bad thing to do holding the car on full lock as it can cause damage - do a search to find out more - and advised winding the steering wheel back a tad

But given that the PAS pump in under stress, could this be the cause of the vibration even if it is only the cause of the vibration when you put the steering on full lock and it is coincidental to the real problem?

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
noobytoogy said:
On full lock and with the throttle "blipped", the power steering pump will be taking considerable stick.
Yes, that's a bad thing to do. If you listen, you can hear the steering pump almost cavitating when you do that. Just turn the wheel back an eighth of a turn before you apply any throttle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its gone in today to get the new clutch and flywheel fitted.

I hope this sorts it out......

Anyone else have problems like this ??????????????????????????

Also as a 07 Reg ( Last of the old model 2.5TDI ) what warranty recalls should of been done.

The dealer mentioned a spoiler recall this morning but knew nothing about the up-graded rear hatch glass seals !!!!!!!

What else should I get them to look at as my warranty is up in about 1 month.......................?????????

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I agree with Nooby -this is more likely to be a PAS problem, and the clue is that you can induce it easily on full lock.
The pump is trying to force fluid through the rack to make it turn, but it can't as it is on full lock.
Most cars will demonstrate that they do not like this -some more than others.

A test that could be done in the garage is to remove the pump drive belt and see if the vibration disappears.

Alasdair

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The saga continues.........

Its still not running smoothly even after its 4th clutch and flywheel and balancing shaft!!!!!!!!!

It has improved however but as my warranty finished last friday I am not letting go until its 100%

I asked the dealer to look at the propshaft and also gave the them the part number of the upgraded rear hatch glass rubber seal . When I cam back to collect they told me they have ordered the seal and a new shaft to be fitted under warranty.

Good result thanks to the info I got on this site.

They also tell me they are ordering a new injector as one seems not quite 100%.

I hope this sorts it ....

If not where do I go then?????????????????????

G

·
dantheman said:
The saga continues.........

Its still not running smoothly even after its 4th clutch and flywheel and balancing shaft!!!!!!!!!

It has improved however but as my warranty finished last friday I am not letting go until its 100%

I asked the dealer to look at the propshaft and also gave the them the part number of the upgraded rear hatch glass rubber seal . When I cam back to collect they told me they have ordered the seal and a new shaft to be fitted under warranty.

Good result thanks to the info I got on this site.

They also tell me they are ordering a new injector as one seems not quite 100%.

I hope this sorts it ....

If not where do I go then?????????????????????
Seems like they and you are chasing their tails so to speak, Just an idea, see if you can get a drive of another 2.5 Tdi Touareg and compare it with your own, although i've never owned one of these. I have worked on one and driven two others and they do have a very different characteristic noise and vibration partly due to having an odd number of cylinders and gear drive system.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
bnl said:
see if you can get a drive of another 2.5 Tdi Touareg and compare it with your own, although i've never owned one of these.
Hi bnl

I was sure you implied in one of your first posts that you had a 2.5tdi.
Mind you, gotta love that V6 eh? What a fab motor.

bnl said:
I have worked on one and driven two others and they do have a very different characteristic noise and vibration partly due to having an odd number of cylinders and gear drive system.
That's really interesting; I've driven a couple of V6's as well as mine and haven't found any variation to speak of - is the trait you describe peculiar to the 2.5?

Chris

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
I had a dual mass flywheel problem on my old Audi TT (Mk I - 2000 W reg).

The problem manifested itself in 4th and 5th gears when travelling on a straight road with a slight incline, lifting off the throttle and letting the engine revs fall through 3500 - 3000. The whole drivetrain vibrated and you could feel it throughout the car, particularly in the pedals and through the propshaft tunnel. To cut a very long story short, Audi eventually replaced the flywheel/clutch as a goodwill gesture and a local Audi dealer supplied the labour/fitting free of charge. The car was a personal import and although the problem first came on at 11 months (9000 miles), it was 13 months before it got sorted, so it was outside the 12 months basic warranty.

It was a hard slog getting Audi to cover the replacement flywheel, there had been a faulty batch done under a formal recall by my car was manufacturered outside of the affected batch (allegedly).

Frankly it put me off the car, moreso when the problem started replicating itself less than 3000 miles later, so I traded it and moved on. Just goes to show that although the flywheel was replaced, the problem returned. A local independent garage tested the car and concurred with the diagnosis and the owner was of the opinion that flywheel problems are magnified in 4WD cars with one set of wheels pulling and the other set pushing.

Cass

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Interesting that Cass traded the duff on.

I think I would too just as soon as it came out of the workshop. Quite literally I'd be into a dealer on the way home! Cut your losses and move on in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts