Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I recently had Event Tyres replace all four tyres on my Dec 07 3.0TDI Altitude. They did a great job but whilst changing the front wheels the technician drew my attention to the front driveshaft hub nuts(see below). He claimed that it is a common problem with Touareg Altitudes as moisture/condensation is trapped behind the wheels causing the drivehaft nut to corrode badly. He has seen it many times before however mine are especially bad considering the age of the car. It was a demonstrator which was 6 months old when I bought it and has never been off-road. Having worked on my cars for years before I was in a position to spend this amount of money on a car I cannot believe how corroded these nuts are when the car is not even 2 years old.

I have shown them to the dealer I bought the car from who have told me that, whilst they look in a bad condition, it is not covered by the warranty but advised me to contact VWs Luxury Car dept. I have done this and spoke to an off-hand and rude customer advisor who has written to me stating the following:

Dear Mr

I am writing regarding the corrosion issue you have experienced on your Volkswagen Touareg.

I apologise for the delay in my response, however I wanted to fully investigate your concerns before replying. Having spoken to three of our Technical Support Staff, I am pleased to confirm that the corrosion which is shown in the pictures you provided via email, will not affect the operational performance of your vehicle.

Our Technical Staff have advised that in their professional opinion, the vehicle will have been parked in, or driven through, a large amount of deep water to give rise to the corrosion shown in the picture.

After examination of the issue I can confirm that the damage is cosmetic and not a result of a manufacturing defect. For this reason, we will not be able to make a contribution towards any rectification work.

I appreciate that this is not the desired response you were expecting, however I hope I have explained the reasons behind my decision clearly. Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention and for allowing me to conduct a full investigation. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you once again for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Kind regards

Luxury Car Support Centre Advisor

Volkswagen Customer Services

So there you have it, apparently the Touareg is a 4x4 which cannot be driven through wheel depth water without causing significant corrosion. I can assure you this car has not been off-road or through water and is driven mainly by my wife with the kids in the back.

I am extremely concerned as the nuts are beginning to flake with rust and look as if, within a year or two, they will not be able to be removed without damaging the driveshaft, resulting in a very expensive repair. I plan on continuing to fight to have the nuts replaced but wanted to see if anyone else?s Touareg was in the same state. Has anyone seen this on their car or got any advice please?

This is an expensive car which claims to be a rugged off-roader from a company who looks after their customers. So I am not impressed. Having previously owned a BMW 530d for several years I think VW clearly have no idea how to look after customers. Price of two nuts worth it to keep customer loyal to brand? BMW at times were not that good but make VW look like amateurs.

PS have tried to attach pictures to this post but have had no success so far.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Not being flippant but welcome to the world of VW

I've previously complained about rust on my brake disc hubs on my Treg (and also on my previous VW Golf GTI) and got told the same thing - cosmetic fault which does not effect the operating ability of the brakes, therefore no warranty issue. I wasn't impressed that the rust was present from new on my Treg and will rectify this myself after the winter.

More fallout from the recession methinks as VW try to minimise warranty work and reduce costs.

I recently contacted my VW dealer to have the rear brake lights looked at after I noticed condensation in the reflector. It comes and goes and after the dealer said VW they would not replace them, the polict was to remove them and dry them out before refitting, I decided not to bother. After last weeks heavy rain, I've noticed that my front fogs have ironically gone the same way - fogged
I;m just going to do a couple of runs with them on to dry them out.

VW Luxury Car Department
: IMHO VW don't do luxury cars, that's why VW have slipped in a recent customer satisfaction poll I was reading in Auto Express last week.

Cass

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
If you are talking about the wheel studs that hold the wheels on, then you should get a small tube of copper grease and put a small smear on the end of each of them before winding them back in which will spread the grease up the thread as you do so, plus put a smear on the rear of the wheels where they seat on the disc. This stops the rust and means you can undo the wheels and remove them if you have a puncture or the car needs servcing.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Think he's taking about the driveshaft hub nuts, not the wheel bolts Nooby. I'd go with your tip and put some copper grease on them just to stem the corrosion if VW ain't going to replace them.

Cass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies so far.

I am talking about the main nut attaching the brake unit to the driveshaft which can only be viewed by taking the wheel off. It appears the design does not allow any trapped moisture to drain away creating the perfect environment for rust. The nut and driveshaft thread are in quite a state. Will give copper grease a go and seem to remember a product I used in the past which killed rust so will get myself down Halfords & B&Q and see what I can find.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
See your point - just about to get a new VW wheel centre badge [they don't stick on very well or very long!] so I'll look at mine now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts