Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
There have been a few posts about having the drivers door switch panel replaced under warranty when the rubbery coating peels away. I had no luck with my local dealer who said that it could be down to hand cream etc rather than a manufacturing defect.

However I discovered that the part price is only �8.50 so changed it myself. The door panel comes off fairly easily (only took me about 2 minutes the second time I tried it ) and the switch panel is then unscrewed/unclipped from inside. The switch buttons just clip into the new panel and this clips back into the door.

If it's annoying you - the whole job can be done in under half an hour for less than �10.

Part no is 7L6 867 158 D plus your colur code.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my one changed under warranty but the rear window switch is a little sticky,must be due to being fitted slightly off true!
after reading this i will have a go myself....i imagined it would be a mojor operation.lol
cheers for the info

davy

c
geraout said:
There have been a few posts aboput having the drivers door switch panel replaced under warranty when the rubbery coating peels away. I had no luck with my local dealer who said that it could be down to hand cream etc rather than a manufacturing defect.

However I discovered that the part price is only ?8.50 so changed it myself. The door panel comes off fairly easily (only took me about 2 minutes the second time I tried it ) and the switch panel is then unscrewed/unclipped from inside. The switch buttons just clip into the new panel and this clips back into the door.

If it's annoying you - the whole job can be done in under half an hour for less than ?10.

Part no is 7L6 867 158 D plus your colur code.

·
Chairman
19,917 Posts
Some dealers just don't think things through.

25 year's ago the boot release that operated from the floor by the driver's seat wouldn't work on my wife's 6 month old FIAT Punto so I mentioned it when the car went in for a service. "Sorry Sir, but for minor adjustments you have to return the car within 28 days so it will be ?5 to fix it now".

The silly twerp could have added the fiver to the service bill and I'd have been none the wiser: I just never used that garage again, rubbished them to any one who'd listen and, as they sold Rolls Royce and Bentleys too, I went elsewhere for the latter on principle!

·
656 Posts
geraout said:
There have been a few posts aboput having the drivers door switch panel replaced under warranty when the rubbery coating peels away. I had no luck with my local dealer who said that it could be down to hand cream etc rather than a manufacturing defect.
I don't think the possible use of hand cream should be an excuse to void the warranty. The coatings on vehicle equipment would have been thoroughly tested for all kinds of cleaning products, abrasives, years of wear. So a mild hand cream that doesn't even do damage to something as sensitive as your skin, should in no way be the cause to erode a tried and tested coated surface that is designed to be touched and used. And, although (being Welsh) I don't know anyone that might use something like a cream for hands
I might presume that there are some men and women in southern England and Germany who would use 'hand cream'

I would say, anyone who experiences a dealer using the hand cream excuse should quote the above.

I'm a Purchasing manager for a company making fruit machines and any painted coatings on areas that may be touched or cleaned are tested thoroughly against various cleaning products, abrasives and coin damage.... and we are nowhere near as thorough and technical as the automotive industry testing.

Let battles with the dealers commence

·
886 Posts
Tregger-Happy said:
geraout said:
And, although (being Welsh) I don't know anyone that might use something like a cream for hands
I might presume that there are some men and women in southern England and Germany who would use 'hand cream'
We all know why you don't need to use hand cream Tregger !!

It's all the lanolin your hands get whilst gripping the sheeps coat

·
656 Posts
Don't you guys know anything...... it's lambing season... Even us welsh wouldn't abuse a sheep during lambing season, that's just sick...... You must be thinking of those Ozzies from New Zealand..

Sing along: - (to the tune of 'when the saints go marching in')
oh fluffy sheep,
oh fluffy sheep,
oh fluffy sheep are brilliant,
they are white, soft and fluffy,
oh fluffy sheep are brilliant.

·
656 Posts
Hang on a minute.... have just noticed that tadpole Tom is up in north wales.... There are millions more sheep up there and not many people.... we all know how the North Walians spend their spare time. :wink:

·
886 Posts
Tregger-Happy said:
Hang on a minute.... have just noticed that tadpole Tom is up in north wales.... There are millions more sheep up there and not many people.... we all know how the North Walians spend their spare time. :wink:
Baahhhhhh

Anyway not born in Wales so I don't have the same " Feelings " that the locals have

·
430 Posts
Not being Welsh but having lived in the principality for some time I can confirm that there are more sheep tham people.

The locals tell me
that the best ways to [email protected] a sheep are as follows:

1 wear velcro gloves
2. Tuck their rear leggs into your wellies
and if all else fails
3. Lead the sheep to the edge of a cliff, that way you can always guarantee that it will back into you.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed by the locals around ere isn't wasn't didni.....

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Clarkyi said:
Not being Welsh but having lived in the principality for some time I can confirm that there are more sheep tham people.

The locals tell me
that the best ways to [email protected] a sheep are as follows:

1 wear velcro gloves
Velcro.
What a rip off.

·
656 Posts
tadpole said:
Anyway not born in Wales so I don't have the same " Feelings " that the locals have
No Tom, I'm sure you must be enjoying a whole new experience.....

So where are you from?

By the way...... Moving back onto the thread...

Geraout....I hope that the information I provided will help others argue their case with the dealers and not allow the dealers to give untrue excuses as to why not to cover this item under warranty.
Best not mention the whole sheep thing..... keep it in the family

·
886 Posts
Tregger-Happy said:
tadpole said:
No Tom, I'm sure you must be enjoying a whole new experience.....

So where are you from?
Manchester Eccles to be precise.

Manchester City fan to boot. So thinking about I have been used to watching sheep for years !!

Cheers

Tom

·
886 Posts
steve.l said:
Don't know anything about the sexual habits of sheep.... But i sure as hell can make a Yew turn???
Nice one Steve.

But don't give up your day job

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts