Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gutted! Engine workshop light has intermittently come on recently and car gone into limp mode. I'm 5 months out of VW warranty and I'm told the DPF unit needs replacing at a cost of over #1000! - warranty direct with whom i have their top cover have said they dont cover this work (much to the dealers surprise). Anyone else had similar issues with this or with WD?

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
thats bad news , what kind of miles have you covered & is it mainly short journeys where the car is barely warmed up or majority longer ? there has been suggestions that the DPF does,nt favour shorter mileage journeys

·
104 Posts
Mine went when the car was about a year and a half old. Hadn't even reached first long life service. We only get 2 years warrantee here in Ireland so I was lucky.
Mine is a 2.5 by the way.

I am sure I read on here that in the UK VW don't cover the DPF under warrantee anyway. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Certainly BMW view the DPF as a consumable/service item that has a limited life so I expect VW do the same. In fact, in my 5 series it was shown on the service menu in the iDrive and stated how many miles to go before it needed replacing. Average was about 120,000 miles from new to replacement. Again, 4 figure sum to replace.
It's something all manufacturers have kept very quiet.
And no, they really don't like short journeys. I will never buy a car with a dpf if it's being used for short journeys as they just get clogged up.

have you tried giving it a real long run a few times to see if it burns off? I had to do this once on my 5 series - the Ford S-Max manual tells you to drive for at least 20 minutes at higher than normal revs at motorway speeds to get the exhaust nice and hot so it can regenerate. Worth a try. Might need a couple of goes and at least half an hour.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Just a thought.
Can you run without it....???

You can run a car without cats.- I know it not legal but I just wondered.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the advice - car is a 2.5 with 39k on the clock - my daily drive to work is at 33mile round trip, so not really using on very short trips. I havent tried running it long really, but I plan to tow a caravan around Europe this summer, so I really need to know its fixed (i wonder what happens if it goes into limp mode while towing a caravan up the pyrenees??! - its in the garage now with the part on order from Germany - from everyones comments I think I just have to accept the hit - makes me think twice about having a big beast of a car at the present time - seems to be leading to big bills which probably isnt too surprising...just painful!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Have you thought about replacing the exhaust with a non DPF type. AFAIK the DPF was an option ie a 'TDI DPF' vs a standard 'TDI'. It would mean that the emissions figure changes but you won't get a reoccurrence of the problem.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
Just a thought.
Can you run without it....???

You can run a car without cats.- I know it not legal but I just wondered.
There are companies offering Dpf bypass/delete for VAG engines. It seems that as well as removing the Dpf the ECU software has to have the sensor info altered.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take it if you're with WD and you're covered for airbags and emissions,the two things they like to exclude,you're going to be ok?
i have the emissions and airbags cover, but WD have declined the claim - should I question it? (their booklet states that exhaust and catalytic convertors are not covered by any of their policies)

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
i have the emissions and airbags cover, but WD have declined the claim - should I question it? (their booklet states that exhaust and catalytic convertors are not covered by any of their policies)
i would query it,but I made them write it in my policy.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I think if mine went i would remove and remap.
won't go wrong again then will it.

Nimrod is right though-- query the warranty, they will get out of it if they can, times are hard for them too at the mo.

·
1,307 Posts
it's one of those useless things anyway!! so what if a bit of soot puffs out under acceleration!! it's like an egr valve or your tonsils, what do we need them for cos we manage without them!!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Nimrod is right though-- query the warranty, they will get out of it if they can, times are hard for them too at the mo.
thanks - i will certainly give them a call - my documents say emissions are included in the policy, but the bumpf also says cats and exhausts are not included in any of their policies - not sure where I stand with a DPF (not knowing almost anything about cars myself!!)

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts

Have to agree with buzzard, remove and fit the exhaust section from the non dpf and get the engine remapped. It'll cost less than replacing the dpf and you'll benefit from better performance and economy. Google 'dpf removal' plenty of chat on other forums.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I have searched for a decent DPF delete kit but not yet that common on our beasties but available on golfs and such but very expensive.
I would be inclined to go to a custom exhaust garage and see what they can do and then have the light put out by a remap.

·
1,307 Posts
would VCDS not be able to delete the light ??

·
56 Posts
Possibly silly question and sorry for jumping in the thread, but is there an easy way to check if my Treg has a DPF or not? It's a 57 plate v6 TDi.

Thanks
Nik

1 - 20 of 36 Posts