Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other half has just found a nail in one of the rear tyres and it'll need replacing. In quickly skimming the forums i've seen threads about replacing tyres togther to stop any potential damage. I've spoken to 2 Volkswagen dealers and got conflicting information, one says replace all 4 one says just the rears...

We have a v6 3.0TDi and its done 28,000 miles, i guess i have 2 questions

Can i just replace the rear tyres as a pair or would you suggest all 4 ?

I'm considering the Toyo Proxes or the Hankook Ventus based on the reviews here, the car is driven mainly by my other half for local commuting (10-20 miles) with the odd long distance motorway trip, would one tyre be better than the other ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as yet again the main dealers have confused me yet again

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
whether to change all 4 would depend on the tread of all 4 , if the fronts are still 5.6 or 7mm then i,m sure a new pair of rears would be fine ( keep the one thats not damaged for a spare)
i have hankook ventusx4 & can,t fault them at all , hardly seem any different after 7000miles in my ownership (a little more on the fronts for obvious reasons) + they were fine in the snow & not particularly noisy at m/way speeds
think initial grip on the toyos may be better but doubt you,l get more than 15k miles out of them

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
My first question is are you sure the tyre needs replacing? I find a good independent tyre fitter will repair tyres perfectly safely that Kwik-Fit condemn. I wonder why?

Anyway, if it really does need replacing, the general consensus appears to be as follows:

No more than 2 mm difference in tread depth between the tyres on the same axle.

No more than 3 mm difference in tread depth between the tyres front axle to rear axle.

So I [not the tyre company I hasten to add] would then measure all the tyre tread depths carefully and that would inform me whether I needed a pair or four.

If you need a pair, keep the good tyre of the pair you replace as a back up: if you don't, you'll need it and if you do you'll never use it!!

Try www.event-tyres.co.uk to see if they cover your area. Service and prices are usually very good and they come to your home or office.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys, i'll check out the tread on each of the tyres and go from there

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Obvious statements, but don't pull the nail out until you are ready for the tyre to go flat!

And limit your speed if you use the car.

·
749 Posts
As all of the above, but just wanted to let you know i had a nail in my tyre and the tyre was repaired by event tyres, the tyre is as good as new, just in case you have any reservations about having it repaired. The repair cost ?29.90, e-tyres will do repairs free if you bought tyres from them.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
JayKay,
if you do get new tyres it might be difficult to get Hankooks,they are often in short supply.
Proxes have been recommended before,but many of us are on General Grabber UHP's and not a complaint yet,only excellent reports.
We ain't all wrong!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts