Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a used approved touareg from the above dealer.

Reg - GX17 GXJ
Chassis Number - WVGZZZ7PZHD021307

The vehicle was purchased from a salesman who had very poor product knowledge and professionalism, evidenced in my email exchanges prior to and just after purchase.

Written agreements in terms of condition, historical repairs and condition where broken, again evidenced in several email exchanges.

The vehicle was delivered with warning lights on the dash and after checking the UA checklist against the vehicle, it was abundantly clear that the checks and works required by the UA scheme had not be completed. This falls well short of the UA scheme and was perceived to be grossly negligent.

The vehicle was then taken to my local VW dealer for them to rectify a number of faults present upon delivery.

Two weeks after I received the vehicle back from Citygate, the vehicles front parking camera failed and was promptly booked back in. When I contacted Citygate asking when the vehicle would be ready for collection, I was informed that they could not complete any warranty work due to sub standard historical repairs. This renders the vehicle not fit for purpose and has been fundamentally been misrepresented to me. My perception is that Parkway Derby is that they are seriously negligent in failing to prepare it to VW approved standards.

They had no option but to agree to a full refund as the vehicle was not fit for purpose. If they had been resistant to refunding, I would have gone legal.

Parkway's MD stated that they have gone over and above!! I don't think so!! Maybe the bare minimum - so for them to define it as over and above is another misrepresentation. Legally, they may not have had to cover the collection fee, so my perception is that waiving the collection fee of a sub standard product is the sum total of goodwill, excluding the change of vehicle costs with my insurance company, which is unacceptable.

Sadly Parkway Derby did not even conduct the bare minimum inspection, Used Approved checks or inspection as had that of been completed competently, they would have known about the shoddy repair work that had been completed prior to sale and would have had the opportunity to rectify them prior to sale and prevent this situation from ever occurring.

The customer service at the point of sale was diabolical. The quality of the product is not much better. The MD's responses have been less than acceptable. So, in terms of my perception of Parkway; it is very very low and they have done nothing to improve things.

My experience of being supplied a sub standard product is not isolated - I read a Google review of Parkway Derby in which another customer describes an almost identical experience, so they absolutely have form for this type of customer experience.

I am thoroughly disgusted with my experience of Parkway Derby and have emailed VW Customer Services. Nearly walked away from VW altogether!!!

My advice - DO NOT BUY FROM PARKWAY DERBY, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, EVER!!! YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT, JUST LIKE ME!!!

So, a week before Xmas, no car. Going to have to spend another 拢1k to get it another, which is of course being supplied by another dealer.

Thanks for the Parkway Derby, you must make VW very proud!!! 馃憦

Super Moderator
I鈥檒l close this thread temporarily until I have time to fully read it later 馃

Super Moderator
Thread reopened for comments.

Franchised dealers are bound by the VW Used Car policy (formerly Das Welt Auto) which is quite clear in how a used car should be prepared for sale. It claims to offer the same peace of mind as when buying a new car and VW publicise the fact that the scheme has recently won a What Car award for 2022.

When things go wrong, and they all to often do, then VW UK need to know about this as they are responsible for signing up their dealers to these standards. I鈥檇 be writing to the MD air VW UK because complaints of this nature warrant that level of response. Take the emotion out of it and simply be factual.

The motor industry, like many others, have had a hard 2 years under Covid restrictions, however that should not detract from selling a car which falls below the standards expected by a franchised VW Dealer. I鈥檇 suspect that dealers are not prepping cars to the sale standard and cost cutting is a big factor.

There are decent VW dealers out there and the trick is to find one and a car which has been fully checked and prepared to the advertised standards. The best advice is to avoid distance selling and check everything before purchase but even with that philosophy, things can still go pear shaped. Good luck with your search for another Touareg.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thread reopened for comments.

Franchised dealers are bound by the VW Used Car policy (formerly Das Welt Auto) which is quite clear in how a used car should be prepared for sale. It claims to offer the same peace of mind as when buying a new car and VW publicise the fact that the scheme has recently won a What Car award for 2022.

When things go wrong, and they all to often do, then VW UK need to know about this as they are responsible for signing up their dealers to these standards. I鈥檇 be writing to the MD air VW UK because complaints of this nature warrant that level of response. Take the emotion out of it and simply be factual.

The motor industry, like many others, have had a hard 2 years under Covid restrictions, however that should not detract from selling a car which falls below the standards expected by a franchised VW Dealer. I鈥檇 suspect that dealers are not prepping cars to the sale standard and cost cutting is a big factor.

There are decent VW dealers out there and the trick is to find one and a car which has been fully checked and prepared to the advertised standards. The best advice is to avoid distance selling and check everything before purchase but even with that philosophy, things can still go pear shaped. Good luck with your search for another Touareg.
Thanks Cass. Will try and find VW UK MD email addy.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Marshall's of Letchworth have just let me down on another Treg! Paid a deposit on thin air (they didnt even have the vehicle) last week, they just called and said the owner has pulled out.

Fortunately I have tracked the vehicle down to an independent dealer who is PDI'ing it, the plan being to collect on Friday 24th December.

Super Moderator
It鈥檚 not unusual for a dealer to advertise or take a deposit on a vehicle they don鈥檛 physically have in their stock. This was often the case with VW UK vehicles which were advertised through the dealer network and then delivered to the first dealer who claimed a sale on it. Good luck with the next one 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It鈥檚 not unusual for a dealer to advertise or take a deposit on a vehicle they don鈥檛 physically have in their stock. This was often the case with VW UK vehicles which were advertised through the dealer network and then delivered to the first dealer who claimed a sale on it. Good luck with the next one 馃憤
Thank you Cass.

I believe that Marshall's were trying to do the right thing and secure the vehicle for me, they made it very clear that refunding the deposit would be no issue.

And to be fair they seemed like a decent dealer to me...

Lifelong Motorhead
I don't understand why VW dealers use such airy-fairy methods - back in the mid-90s I wanted to buy a nearly-new Vauxhall Cavalier from my local Network Q dealer (Vauxhall's used approved scheme), the salesman simply got onto Vauxhall's computer system and checked through all the cars on the central database for one that met my needs - having located it, the car was reserved for me to inspect once it was delivered to the dealer - so no question of anyone else wasting a deposit on it.

Super Moderator
I think with Covid that there is not so much movement of stock and until a sale has been confirmed, cars aren鈥檛 fully prepped unless they are physical dealer stock, though I have still read of poorly prepped stock vehicles which have been sold 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vehicle is back up for sale for just under 拢1k more. Somehow I doubt anything was rectified before it was put back up for sale.

VW Exec Office CS have sent my feedback to the owner of Parkway Derby and I am waiting for his response.

I

Chairman
I had a similar experience with an Audi several years ago.

In fairness the dealer principal and his staff at all levels tried very hard to achieve a fix even to the extent that the chief technician used the car, with my agreement, for a week to commute.

When we all agreed there was an issue that could not be fixed we sat down, agreed a low price per mile, and the refund was in my bank account when I got home.

The car went on sale the next day for two grand more than I had paid for it months earlier! But over the next few weeks the price dropped until it was a grand less than my purchase price and pretty much the same price as the dealer had repaid me.

Then it disappeared from the stockist but it was another two months before it appeared on AskMid as being insured so I suspect it was traded out.

I had inserted a note on, to me, the excessive oil consumption and the random, sudden and complete window fogging - which was dangerous - in the handbook for any future owner but I was never contacted so whether things improved/got fixed I will never know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts