Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Clock display is in the middle bottom of the MFD display on my 2008 3.0 Alt.
This is all well and good until you are driving on Cruise control, when the cruise set speed is displayed in the same place.
This means that all the time I am driving on Cruise (in my case probably 85-90 % of the time), there is no clock visible at all, and I have to look at my wrist watch - tricky when it's dark !.
No big deal, I hear you say, yet on a car of this quality and price this seems to me to be very poor design.
Unless of course, there is another way to display the clock information ?.

·
54 Posts
This has been brought up before, see posts of 7th May from myself called missing clock!!!

There were a lot of viewings but no solution sadly !!!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Actually, it has been answered! And solutions provided.

If you hit the SETUP button on the RNS-510 head unit and then touch "system" there should be an option for "time display" set this to "on". Thereafter, as Kaine says, you will see the time displayed just underneath the Radio Station name or Track name when in radio/media view. At all other times you'll see the time displayed on the lower right of the display, when in map view for example.

If you don't see the options described above in the system menu, you are still on Firmware v.1024 and you need to update to at least v.1102 - this is the latest version currently being installed/upgraded by VW dealerships.

HTH

Chris

P.S. pbrom - shame on you.

·
1,307 Posts
I know this is straying off topic a little bit, but if anyone would like to update their firmware to 1102 i have a copy, and if anyone wanted to go even further and try 2662 i have that also.

if you go for 2662, you get a clock on every screen also when you turn the unit on and off and there is an option to turn every screen off, i suppose to save the screen maybe, if you do this you get a black screen with white clock at the bottom..

the only downside of updating is that you will loose any saved data maps included..

if you already have 1102 and upgrade further you don't loose any data as it retains it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Chris, There is no option for "time display" in my system, so I assume I am on the earlier version of the firmware. Is there a way to check out which version it is that I am on ?

·
1,307 Posts
if i remember correctly you have to get in car without putting key in ignition. turn on unit and press and hold the setup button for about 30 secs..if it works you will be taken to the secret menu where all the info will be displayed, if it doesn't work you will need VAG Com to read it for you.

someone will come along and correct me if i have given you biff info!!...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Stu,you are absolutely correct. I find that I am on ver. 1022, so seems like an upgrade is in order.
Presumably my VW dealer will do this FOC. I still need to go in to get the spoiler upgraded, so will see about getting an appointment for both.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
gaunt - the upgrade is a DVD upgrade - i.e. they just need a copy of the latest DVD from another Touareg and then drop it into yours - it can a long time to run the upgrade though

·
54 Posts
Chris, shame on me indeed !!! except for the fact that I dont have the RNS-510 so there is no set up button and as yet I cant find a way on the RN S2 unit that I have !!!

·
1,307 Posts
gaunt, if you would like to upgrade your firmware, give me a shout and we can talk turkey!!!..

i have given up with the dealer all ready, they told me that i was not intitled to any updates when i was getting my rear spoiler sorted out!!

if you want anything doing do it yourself..

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
stu said:
i have given up with the dealer all ready, they told me that i was not intitled to any updates when i was getting my rear spoiler sorted out!!
Here we are, in challenging times, when garages are under pressure, and VW adopts this kind of attitude but comes on here asking how they can improve the "Touareg Experience".

Well, VW, how about keeping existing customers happy with the odd freeby that costs next to nowt, or why not just put a notice in your showroom windows - "Older Tregs not welcome here so f * c k off to the BMW garage" [where at least the coffee is better].

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
From what I've learned from this site, I'm a lot luckier than a great many Treggers: VW Windrush service in Maidenhead are very nice, they try very hard to price match, and the dealer principal comes and says hello and talks to his customers rather than hiding away in a chrome and grey office [but the coffee still isn't great!].

But as for the rest of them . . . :twisted:

·
1,307 Posts
unfortunately i agree with nooby, how hard would it have been to pop a DVD in the slot and let it strut its stuff while they were sorting my rear spoiler out.............................................................................................................
well actually scratching and denting my car which took three days of their time and money to sort out..

but like the Murphies i'm not bitter.. :evil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts