Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
my V10 (42,500 miles) is dead since Tuesday.

driving down the motorway i got an "alternator fault" warning followed by a series of other warnings "consumer electrics shutting down", "running gear fault", "brake fault" followed by rapid overheating. When I pulled over it sounded like a bag of nails and refused to move out of park. Had to be recovered on skids (quite entertaining watching them struggle it on and off of a wagon!"

the master techs diagnosis is that the timing gears have "exploded: and taken out one of the engine banks. Erm, doesn't sound good does it?!

I wonder if anyone else out there has had a similar problem and how terminal this might be?

cheers

I'll report back!

Andy

·
656 Posts
Normally I'd suggest turning the car off and then back on again.......but I don't thinks it's going to help here, but you could try it just in case.

I'm really sorry, but it doesn't sound too good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got my fingers crossed that you've got a warranty? Your tale has got me cringing and reaching into my drawer to ensure my warranty is still in tact!

Speaking of warranties, although I realise the horse has not only bolted it's over the hill and out of sight; but my Brother paid ?1100 for his extended warranty and it covers EVERYTHING. Even tyres. Yep, tyres. Oh and wiper blades. Of course the big bits are covered too for disasters such as yours. He got it from Warranty Direct; maybe, maybe there's a tiny chance you could get a warranty in place quickly..........

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
jonathan73 said:
I've got my fingers crossed that you've got a warranty? Your tale has got me cringing and reaching into my drawer to ensure my warranty is still in tact!

Speaking of warranties, although I realise the horse has not only bolted it's over the hill and out of sight; but my Brother paid ?1100 for his extended warranty and it covers EVERYTHING. Even tyres. Yep, tyres. Oh and wiper blades. Of course the big bits are covered too for disasters such as yours. He got it from Warranty Direct; maybe, maybe there's a tiny chance you could get a warranty in place quickly..........
Good Good

Who is the warranty with ??

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

the warranty is with (I think braxus) anyhow I got it when I bought the car.

so went to see how things were on Friday. one of the gears in the timing casset has completely come in half and is rattling arround. thats caused the timing to go on the left bank and I've had valve clash. All in all looks like th e engines a gonner............

Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're luckey you have warrenty, a new engine for a V10 is ?14 000 - 00 :shock: :shock:
Warrenty department is gonna be sick about this claim for sure

D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gulp
well thats some poor souls bonus gone for underwriting me!
I'm worried about what else may go wrong with my beloved beast
Andy

·
886 Posts
the_fyrd said:
Gulp
well thats some poor souls bonus gone for underwriting me!
I'm worried about what else may go wrong with my beloved beast
Andy
Hi Andy,

Other things may go wrong in the future but it will be nice to know that you have a nice new V10 motor under the bonnet

Good luck

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still Dead!!!
had new engine, alernator, pumps, injectors
but been back 3 times in 10 days with various other problems caused by the refit !
Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
That poor technician the man seems to be given little time to do that job. Its not a simple job either you have to keep your head together. So I think he did well by getting it up and running .

dont loose the head with the man he will get it fixed

D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thankfully ye treg is fixed

I've every sympathy with poor tech (nice guy) pity same cant be said for front of house!

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts