Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice regarding my parents 2.5Tdi R5.

Me and the old man went for a weeks fishing in France last month. After arriving at our destination, some 650 miles, we parked the Treg up and there it sat with nothing left on, or consuming power, for a week. Imagine our shock when the battery was FLAT AS A PANCAKE. not even the slightest attempt to start.

Got it going, drove it home no problems with any starting on way back. Next morning i noticed the battery meter was at about 11v when i went to start it. It started but it did think about it.

All other starts after that were fine. Until, the parents drove it to heathrow and off they went on holiday. On there return the carpark guys who met them with the car at the doors said the battery was flat and they had to jump start it!

Any ideas why this is happening after long journeys guys?

Its still under warranty so it will be booked in soon at the dealer but i thought i would ask anyway.

TIA :wink:

·
Registered
876 Posts
It could be the alternator, if the volt meter reads around 14volts when running then its more likely to be the battery will not hold the charge. The other check is the negative earth cable which could be loose it has happened on some early models. Its a bind to check as it is under the passenger seat. Mobile phone cradle if fitted, again on early models caused battery drain. Depending on the year of manufacture most of these issues should have been picked up on the 90D7 service check.
The dealer should be able to sort it fairly short timescale.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts