Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T5 SEL Pure white
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello just changed my T4 2015 treg for a 2020 T5. Permanently wiring in a dash cam was really easy on my old treg, but on this T5 it looks like its going to be a real pain, the fuse box that was behind the removable end panel to the right of the steering wheel, is no more and now appears to behind the glove box which you have to remove to get to it! I know I could just use the 12volt sockets but I really wanted it to look neat and tidy. After studying it for a while now it looks like it might be a job for the professionals as a few panels might have to come off, unless anyone on here has done it and can pass on a few tips. Thank you in anticipation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dont VW offer a dashcam? I think they used to on the 7p, although when I asked if they could fit one to mine they told me it has been discontinued and pointed me in the direction of Halfords...(?!)

·
Super Moderator
16,036 Posts
Dont VW offer a dashcam? I think they used to on the 7p, although when I asked if they could fit one to mine they told me it has been discontinued and pointed me in the direction of Halfords...(?!)
Some dealers may have sold dashcams as aftermarket accessories but they were never offered by VW on the Touareg.

Halfords or any online supplier may well be your best bet 🤷‍♂️

A point on wired in dash cams - your insurers may consider these as a modification and therefore may not cover them or they might charge you an additional premium for this. Always best to check 🤔

·
Registered
368 Posts
Some dealers may have sold dashcams as aftermarket accessories but they were never offered by VW on the Touareg.

Halfords or any online supplier may well be your best bet 🤷‍♂️

A point on wired in dash cams - your insurers may consider these as a modification and therefore may not cover them or they might charge you an additional premium for this. Always best to check 🤔
Or they might give you a discount for having one fitted

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
18 Posts
Hello just changed my T4 2015 treg for a 2020 T5. Permanently wiring in a dash cam was really easy on my old treg, but on this T5 it looks like its going to be a real pain, the fuse box that was behind the removable end panel to the right of the steering wheel, is no more and now appears to behind the glove box which you have to remove to get to it! I know I could just use the 12volt sockets but I really wanted it to look neat and tidy. After studying it for a while now it looks like it might be a job for the professionals as a few panels might have to come off, unless anyone on here has done it and can pass on a few tips. Thank you in anticipation.
Why the heck would they put a necessary to access in the event of fuse panel behind the glove box? That's absurd!
Is the glove box on the T5 at least easy to remove?

·
Super Moderator
16,036 Posts
Or they might give you a discount for having one fitted
You will only find out if you ask but I did with my insurers a while ago and it was classed as a modification with a 10% premium rise, so needless to say, mine is still a plug in 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
582 Posts
You will only find out if you ask but I did with my insurers a while ago and it was classed as a modification with a 10% premium rise, so needless to say, mine is still a plug in 🤷‍♂️

You're correct of course to say asking is the only way to be sure, that's one of the reasons I insure with the NFU Mutual (in the UK). Sensible people who don't charge for changes mid term, nor fuss about wheel changes, switching to winter tyres etc. A dash cam was considered "very sensible", hard wired or otherwise would surely be irrelevant to any sensible thinking business. Trailing leads from a 12v socket could surely also be construed as a hazard inside the vehicle? I wouldn't insure with anyone who increased my premium or suggested they might over the use of any safety feature.

Here in Greece this sort of thing is simpler, they don't really care. Its also the car that's insured here, not the driver so anyone can drive my car fully insured. Having just renewed insurance, the car was inspected by the companies agent, copious pictures taken to include the VIN and odometer reading. Here a 2005 T1R5 with nearly 210000km on it has been assessed as worth 10000€. Fully comp summer/tourist season insurance is 233€ for six months. When I'm not here I reduce the cover to TPF&T equivalent (whilst its in limbo) 114€ for six months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts