Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had any problems with the cylinder head cracking, my 3.0 V6 started puffing smoke from the engine compartment, had it looked into and the head is cracked. As you look into the engine bay it is the one on the right. I have logged it with customer care that are looking into it, they have informed me they will talk with the dealer and then with the technical department and get back to me with their outcome. The car is out of warrantee but with full dealer service 4years 4 months old, 70,000 miles, light use only most of the time only me in the car. I did not expect this to happen. Does anybody have any thoughts?

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Bummer and highlights the need for extended warranties I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
That is bad news.

I have just had both Head-gaskets changed to cure a water leak at 42k. The delaer had said it might have been a cracked head in which case VW would probably do the whole job for free as this is a "serious failure" but once they had the engine out and removed the heads they were both fine so I had to pay with a contributiomn from VW and the delaer (by the time they had traced the fault the warranty had just expired)
Hopefully VW will pay for most if not all of your costs (mine was over ?4,000 without the need for new heads- so goodness know what a new head would add to the bill).

Cas

·
62 Posts
I may have a similar problem, what was the outcome?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I had to pay ?800, VW paid ?1600 as a goodwill gesture matched by a goodwill gesture of ?1600 by my servicing dealer (as the initial leak was there before the warranty expired).
I have since done about 2000 miles and the coolant level had not moved so looks like the leak is finally cured.

I was told that if one of the heads had of been cracked then VW would have considereed that a "major failure" and would have paided for everything as goodwill- but in the end it was a gasket.

Good luck.

Cas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nimishashar said:
I may have a similar problem, what was the outcome?
Sorry I didnt get back to you, I havent been on here for a long time.I hope you problem is fixed.

The outcome of mine.

VW UK customer services said that they have discussed it with Technical and as it is a major fault Technical would contribute 30%, VW UK would contribute 30% if the Dealer would contribute 30% leaving me with 10% to pay. Result I thought. :shock: Sinclair Swansea would not pay therefore VW UK could not pay as their contributoion was only too match the dealers. After long and stressful conversations to a number of people I managed to get Technical 30%, Then the rest split 3 ways. All in all very happy with VW UK but totaly dissatisfied with VW Swansea and will not use them again. There is more to this storey as the car had had previuos oil problems before I had bought it and the dealers had tried to hide the fact that the work had been carried out when questiond about it. Any time I buy a car from any dealer I will request a full workshop report on itif they cant/wont supply one I will walk away.

I am giving up on the treg ang going to a Passat est, I dont use the treg for the purpose anymore and having trouble justifying potential running cost to myself.
I wish all well, there will be some stuff on the for sale section soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts