Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have a 2.5 tdi manual which cuts out when down to the last quarter in tank and it becomes very difficult to start after cutting out.
It eventually starts but cuts out again when you stop.
The problem goes away when you are over half full.
No one seems to know what the problem is and it is driving me knuts!
HELP PLEASE

·
656 Posts
hummmm!,
don't know much about this but has the car ever been filled with petrol by mistake????

does petrol float on diesel causing the last quarter of the tank to have a higher concentration of petrol?

Don't panic too much because I know nothing about this and I'm making a wild stab in the dark...........which is what my wife would get if she accidentily filled my treg with petrol and didn't tell me!!!! :twisted:

·
886 Posts
Hi Richard,

Sounds like a problem for " Treg tech "

I like Tregger - Happy's thoughts on it ....could be possible fuel contamination if you have not had it long.

My first uneducated thought was a tank vacuum problem ( No not the type you clean the carpet with!! )

This could be starving the fuel pump ???

Just guessing really but maybe the tank / cap breather is blocked.

Will be interested to see the answer to this problem

Cheers

Tom

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Help

I have this nasty image of Tregger Happy giving his wife a stab in the dark

As for the tank issue, the vaccuum idea that Tadpole mentioned could be something - I know when I refuel there is a fair old hiss when I take the fuel cap off (would love to think its the car protesting at the price of fuel - but doubt it!) and I've never had it with other cars...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the problem once filling up on the M4 it cut out and I coasted to the pump filled it up and it was then very difficult to start so it seems like a fuel starvation issue. Could it be a computer issue, weak fuel pump?
How do I get in contact with "Treg tech"
Thanks for all your suggestions
Richard

Sounds like a problem for " Treg tech "

I like Tregger - Happy's thoughts on it ....could be possible fuel contamination if you have not had it long.

My first uneducated thought was a tank vacuum problem ( No not the type you clean the carpet with!! )

This could be starving the fuel pump ???

Just guessing really but maybe the tank / cap breather is blocked.

Will be interested to see the answer to this problem

Cheers

Tom[/quote]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the help. I have had the car for 18 months and I havent filled it with petrol and like you be less than impressed if the wife did so!
I have had the tank down to about 50 miles and filled up many times so any petrol would be diluted out so I dont think that it is contaminattion. Does anyone think that it could be computer driven? I had the problem once filling up on the M4 it cut out and I coasted to the pump filled it up and it was then very difficult to start so it seems like a fuel starvation issue. Could it be a weak fuel pump? It works when you have a head of diesel?
Does any one know how to get hold of Treg Tech
Thanks for all the help

·
656 Posts
I'm sure you wont need to find TregTech....... TregTech will find you!!!

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Had a problem with my A4 after having a small offroad excursion (don't ask), a pipe supplying air to the tank had been chrushed underneath the car, causing the car to cough and splutter occasionally... Possibly your Treg's had some offroad excusions itself and has something similar...?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Richard

I had two cases in the past down the same lines.

One was on the earlier models were a cable tie for the sucking jet on the right side tank were jamming the float for the fuel gauge at about 1/4 tank. Hense the tank were running dry.

Another was a faulty fuel pump in the right tank. Which causes the one tank to run dry and the car starting too cut out. Once you restart the car there is no fuel to prime the tandem pump and this tandem pump have to suck the fuel through an emty line from the faulty tank.

Hope that help
D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts