Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 V10 recently just cut out whilst driving (quite alarming as the power steering went off as well) it started up ok then did it again 30 metres further on, blocked the road.. eventually got it started and drove it straight to the garage Carrs VW at Hexham. They gave me a Jetta whilst they looked at mine.

They advised the fault to the speed sensor. ? 84.00 for the part.. 10 hours labour as the engine has to come out to change it. Total prices for repair ? 1,495.00 oouch!!!! I only bought the car in December.. I'd taken out a warranty with Warranty Direct. Carrs contacted them agreed the costs of repairs and give the go ahead within an hour.

Pretty damn impressed with both Carrs of Hexham and Warranty Direct for the excellent service .

I'd have no reservations in recommending either of these company's

One very happy customer

Steven Law

·
656 Posts
My concern is that this is yet another breakdown that is caused by a failed sensor and not the result of an actual mechanical breakdown.

Does anyone else feel the same as me. I'm sure that if all the sensors were dissabled, Touaregs would hardly ever need to pay a visit to the Stealers.

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is odd the all the faults i've had have been down to sensors, Light bulb, airbag and speed sensor.

If we complain to much V.W will probably put more sensors on to check the first set are working probably..

Steve

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Hi Steve,

I had an ongoing saga with my first Treg and the end result was a replacement car.

During the course of the saga they went on a fishing trip as far as finding the cure. One of the options they explored was replacing the G28 sensor. this is a sensor that detects the engine speed and tells the ECU what it is. The sensor is buried inside the engine and requires and engine out to access it.

They did this, replaced the sensor and it made no difference.

The purpose of this is to make you aware that they may not know the solution to your problem and may well be going through the motions.

I would be tempted to seek assurance that if the problem is not resolved by this you do not have to pay.

If you google G28 sensor you will read all about it ... it is a common component.

Good luck

Domo

·
Registered
229 Posts
Never had problems like this on my 1.0L popular plus fiesta

My, how far we have come with technology, next thing they wil be sending man to the moon!!

Jim

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warranty Direct stumped up the bill for changing the sensor ( ? 1,100.00) collect the car this afternoon and all appears to be fine, Yes the engine had to come out to change this sensor. i should get a job on V.W's design team no one appears to check what there doing.

Well i'll wait to see what else fails??

Steve.

·
Registered
437 Posts
In the recent cold spell, I have had the " Check lights" warning in the MFD ping a few times, I have got out , checked all the lights, and all has been well,. So I then switch off the ignition, re start, and hey presto....no more warning!

Wierd!!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
steve.l said:
Warranty Direct stumped up the bill for changing the sensor ( ? 1,100.00) collect the car this afternoon and all appears to be fine, Yes the engine had to come out to change this sensor. i should get a job on V.W's design team no one appears to check what there doing.

Well i'll wait to see what else fails??

Steve.
For 40 years I've held the view that car designers should be made to do some simple jobs with ordinary tools on their cars before they are allowed to go into production.

If the designers can't come out of the workshop without barked knuckles or having used any swear words, they should go away and redesign the car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts