Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Airbag fault has reoccurred over Christmas break... :evil: Was only a few months back it was (supposed to have been) sorted...plus, on Friday when swmbo put parking brake on, it just hit the floor :shock:

So, off to the stealers asap....good start to the New Year....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ditto with us with our airbag light. our parkbrake came away in our hands though.
trying to book it in to get it all sorted out...... should be fun.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kaine said:
is the hand brake issue a cable break?
Dunno yet Kaine....it would seem logical but who knows if there's anything as simple as a cable....!!!

Mrs will be dropping into VW for Simon to have a look see....

(and before hfg see's that, I mean Simon will be looking at the car.......)

·
317 Posts
Gents,

This parking brake thing... I don't know about anybody else (and I'm probably displaying my scant disregard of proper engineering and motoring practice) but I rarely use the park brake. I can recall of only a couple of occasions when parked on site that it's been deployed. (The potential national headline-making disaster if the old girl came unstuck warranted an additional factor of safety).

Somebody will surely tell me I'm causing untold damage to the auto box (perhaps that's why she's in the Grudge at the moment, waiting for a number of parts from uncle Herman) or that a... "I told you so"... moment is looming.

Plus, the parking brake seems to be the only "after-thought" on what seems a reasonably well put together bit of kit. I don't know about you lot but I wince when I dis-engage it, even if you pre-load both the foot brake and the ratchet brake.

Go gentle with me.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Socks,I'm the same.
In the 17months i've had the car i've probably used the parking brake twice.It's a pain.
Mind you,not many hills round here,I'd likely use it on a steep incline.
But like Socks I'm curious...are we doing anything wrong!

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Never bothered to use mine either - Precisely because it feels like such a heath robinson job

Crusty - I bet it will be a cable problem - as for the airbag light, I wish VW would get better micro switches, which cause 99% of these problems :roll:

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
chrisbin][quote=Kaine said:
is the hand brake issue a cable break?
Dunno yet Kaine....it would seem logical but who knows if there's anything as simple as a cable....!!!

Mrs will be dropping into VW for Simon to have a look see....

(and before hfg see's that, I mean Simon will be looking at the car.......)[/quote]

Since yours came off in your hand.... I could understand why she'd need a service from a grease monkey...

(although she's probably been at the cable with a Junior hacksaw to create the escape......)

·
3,680 Posts
now being a girl I am no doubt about to say something totally stupid.

However I always thought when the car is in the P position all that happens is a pin (technical term i've no idea) chocks your auto tran and by not using the P brake you are causing wear on this pin.

Unless your talking about the manual box and your using 1st gear or whatever to stop the car rolling anywhere.

·
317 Posts
Scottie said:
now being a girl I am no doubt about to say something totally stupid.

However I always thought when the car is in the P position all that happens is a pin (technical term i've no idea) chocks your auto tran and by not using the P brake you are causing wear on this pin.

Unless your talking about the manual box and your using 1st gear or whatever to stop the car rolling anywhere.
I would concur with the Pin thing but...

One generally engages "P" prior to the application (rare!) of the park brake so the Auto box lock I would think would experience the same wear irrespective of the application of the Park brake. The limited times I have used it I have noticed a "less than smooth engagement of "R" from "P" which I've associated with creep in the drive from the various brake points applied to the route through the transmission, (If that make sense) so again, I would see more wear asociated with the transfer of load onto the auto box when the park brake is applied/released.

Oh no, I think I have left myself wide open for a basic lesson in "coming to and taking off from a park braked position"

Again, Go gentle with me...

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep - I'm in the never use it camp as well....altho' I always put the handbrake on in the Beemer :roll:

Anyway, Simon worked his magic and sorted it out - apparently something had come adrift (?!) and now its back where it should be! FOC
Part ordered for airbag fault, although mysteriously, that warning light not coming on now..!!!

Another 10/10 for Simon's customer service though (Cardiff VW).

·
400 Posts
i only use the parking brake on a steep hill, purely because it sounds like your breaking something everytime you release it.... CLUNK, BANG,

For a car like this it should be a lot quieter or even better electric, bloody tiguan has electric one and self park... Maybe they got confused as to which model is the premium one

·
656 Posts
chrisbin said:
Part ordered for airbag fault, although mysteriously, that warning light not coming on now..!!!

Another 10/10 for Simon's customer service though (Cardiff VW).
I had the airbag fault not long after buying the treg. Simon found that it was a common fault caused by too much strain being placed on a wire harness connection. It is an intermittent fault, but once it happens, the message will remain on the MFD until it is reset.
Simon had reset mine until the new part was delivered. In the few days it took to deliver the part, the fault didn't reoccur. Have had no problems since the new part was fitted either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts