Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Dont know if anyone else has had any corrosion problems with the 20" ayres rock wheels ???
Mine have corroded all around the centre caps on all 4 wheels, and there is odd places on the face of the spokes that have corrosion marks on them....
My treg went in for its first service today at vw warrington, they told me they could pick it up from my house and drop it back off later that day. The lady that booked it in on the telephone asked me if there was anything else i would like them to look at.
I told her that the wheels had slight corrosion, and that the corrosion on the wheels face wasnt kerbing and although wasnt extreme shouldnt happen after 12 mnths/18000 mls ...
She said they would look at them, and let me know what they thought.
Anyway, they picked it up at the time agreed and rang me around 3 hrs later. They said the servicing was done and that they had ordered 4 new replacement wheels.....which will arrive next thursday !
To be honest, I was gobsmacked.... replacing them without any kind of questions or excuses ?? Top quality dealer I thought .....
Later I looked at the invoice for the 1st service ( which was ?313.. ) and at the bottom of the page it said " Advice - damage to rear under tray - ? 175 inc vat.. So I rang them and they told me the under tray had been hit by something, and that it was broken..
So ive looked under the front of the car, and the tray under the engine is in 2 parts and the back piece is hanging off. To me it looks like to change the oil you have to undo the front plate, and the same bolts hold the front of the back tray up.
It looks like they have left the back of the back tray hanging by its bolts and that it has then snapped off.....

If anyone can understand what Im on about, do you think that this could be possible changing the oil ???
Becuase im gonna get onto them again tomorrow, and try and get them to replace that at same time as wheels....

Shame that Happened when I was happy at there servicing and replacing the wheels

Stan.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Wheel corrosion seems to be a common problem with VW.
Last October my local dealer (TL Darby) highlighted to me that the wheels (19? Atheos) were corroding around the centre caps and should be changed (the car was 21 months old). They swapped 3 wheels free on charge under warranty and gave me a discount on the 4th wheel which had been badly kerbed by the previous owner but had virtually no corrosion on it.

I too had had a problem with the under-tray hanging down- luckily just at one corner where a bolt had come out so I would guess yours is a result of the service where it is removed to access the sump or as result of poor initial fitment- either way you should not have to pay.
Last year I had the same problem on my Jag, I used a new local dealer for the service and was pleased with them until the next day when I noticed the under-tray way lower than normal (they had re-fitted the front and rear bolts but not the middle pair so it was sagging down)- luckily no damage was done- just a waste of my time taking it back again.

Good luck!

Cas

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply cas..
Rang vw warrington yesterday and told them how I thought they had damaged the under tray, by leaving it dangling by back bolts while changing oil, they told me that they had decided to replace it anyway as the warranty would cover it.
Will be done when it goes for the new wheels this thursday.
Like you have said, you are happy with the service that you have recieved, then its spoilt by stupid mistakes.
Up to now the service at vw warrington has been excellent, and everything Ive asked them to look at on this and my last treg ( usual minor hicups ) they have done without any problems, returning my cars valetted....

·
165 Posts
Have noticed some corrosion on my 19"terras around the centre cap. Only 10000 miles and just over a year old. Thought it was the terras not being painted but lacquered over machined alloy was the problem. I had thought of asking for a exchange to 20" ayres rock wheels but now it seems they are no less liable to corrode. What now????

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest goose every time I wash them, been using "wonder wheels " cleaner. I do a fair amount of fast miles
and there is always plenty of brake dust on them, a few sprays of wonder wheels and they jet wash of sparkaling, without touching them with sponge....
Cant help thinking that this has excelerated the corrosion somewhat. It has saved me time scrubbing them, but it smells just like brick acid !..
Dont think I will use it on the newies........

P.s Nice motor kaine ! Keeping that lovely black paintwork clean is going to keep you busy !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts