Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of getting my new Treg I have been doing some homework.

I have done a search and have seen some post on uploading music so I am beginning to get the idea but I would like to clarify a couple of things if I may:

1- Using an SD card looks the easiest way- should I go out and buy the biggest one I can get to do all the music at once or is there a limit to the size/type of card that the VW unit can cope with?
2- I plan to copy/paste a selection of my music from my PC?s hard-drive- first building it up in a new folder on my PC (in case I have to load it again in the future) and then copying the whole folder onto the card and then into the car. Is there any special way to build the file structure (I was thinking of creating a folder called Treg Music and then within it copying in my music by Artist-Album-Tack Name as they have been stored by i-tines). Is this OK?
3- I gather that the Nav unit reads the map data off the Sat-Nav disc and then copied it all to the hard-drive for day-to-day use- how much space for music does this leave?

Thanks in advance.

Cas

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Post deleted 'cos I was a noob and posted twice

No offence nooby

Cass

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
I've used Windows Media Player to burn about 27 CD's to my laptop and then my 2gb SD card. Just Rip the CD's then Sync them to the SD card (dead easy - just drag and drop, then sync to the card). Used up about 1.6gb so far and it plays no problem on the head unit, displaying atrist/album/track. Only issue for me is that the albums have been filed alphabetically and I have to scroll through all tracks to find the music I want. I probably need to look at the way the media is filed on the card to change this. With the SD card content, plus the single CD in dash and the 6 CD mutlichanger in the boot, I find that's more music than I can handle/need at the moment, especially with all the sport currently going on the radio as well

Haven't downloaded into the HD yet but that has about 30gb, so plenty of storage space. The DVD mapping will take up some, but not sure exactly what the figure is. The only problem if your head unit goes faulty or you get the firmware updated is that all the HD will be wiped and you'll need to re-install it.

As far as i recall, the manual says don't use any SD card over 2gb but I'm sure Noobie has gone as high as 16gb without major problem.

I have iTunes on my laptop as well but I've had some sync and rights protection issues with iTunes downloaded music, so I'm sticking with Windows Media Player for now. Also got to sort out a sync connection problem with my BB Storm, but that's another story

Cass

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I haven't copied any music unto my HD as yet. The dealer gave me an aux lead to connect my ipod to the aux socket in the armrest. It works ok, but you do have to set the volume fairly high on the ipod, and there is no functionality. Changing playlists involves pressing the controls on the ipod, and it does not charge the ipod.
I have just purchased this from e-bay
http://www.amazon.co.uk/alphasonix-retr ... B001JUA3WU
I'll feed back after I get it.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
staffs said:
I haven't copied any music unto my HD as yet. The dealer gave me an aux lead to connect my ipod to the aux socket in the armrest. It works ok, but you do have to set the volume fairly high on the ipod, and there is no functionality. Changing playlists involves pressing the controls, and it does not charge the ipod.
Looking at this as well - be interested in your feedback

Cass

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
One consideration you should keep in mind is how you nam the tracks.

The SatNav does not use the same mechanism as windows file handling. I know when I uploaded an audio book where I had the title, chapter then name it lost the last part and then went a bit crazy.

If I was you I would practice with a few tracks then go for it.

The latest firmware for the unit gives an indication as to free space and space used when you upload. It did not used to do this. Very useful

Good luck

Domo

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
staffs said:
I haven't copied any music unto my HD as yet. The dealer gave me an aux lead to connect my ipod to the aux socket in the armrest. It works ok, but you do have to set the volume fairly high on the ipod, and there is no functionality. Changing playlists involves pressing the controls on the ipod, and it does not charge the ipod.
Alphasonix works fine
. There is a separate charging cable as well. You need to check on their web site that it is compatible with your ipod. You do not have to turn up the volume in the ipod, but you still have to adjust playlist etc on the ipod control.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Cas said:
3- I gather that the Nav unit reads the map data off the Sat-Nav disc and then copied it all to the hard-drive for day-to-day use- how much space for music does this leave?

Thanks in advance.

Cas
My system is showing 18.6gb available after the mapping DVD has been loaded.

Cass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts