Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening and happy neww year to all.
it goes like this.......
53 reg 2.5 manual was bought earlier in the summer, now that it is out of warranty from the dealer it has started to have a few problems.
other than minor things like park brake handle snapping off, airbag warning light, air mass meter with a mind of its own and spare tyre well filling with water (is there really no drain plug in there?) we have started to leak......

on the drive in the morning there is a significant quantity of coolant, it appears to be coming from the front of the engine on the drivers side. on the passenger side, also at the front of the engine there are a few drops of oil.
as a result of the oil drips i checked the oil levels and under the filler cap was a very thick layer of mayo... i know what this means but are there any known issues or regular problems that cause them to mix?

i have a warranty which should cover most things but was wanting to go to the garage with as much info as possible to be prepared.
if anyone has any thoughts or comments then any help would be greatly appreciatd.
king regards and happy motoring
allistair

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't help on the mehanical side but it would be interesting if you would share with us how you get on with the warranty side of things, who you use, how the garage deals with them [and you of course], etcetera.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the 2.5tdi did suffer from case of coolant leaks (I suffered it myself), however this was normally an internal leak in the oil cooler due to manufacturing error - it could be related. The solution was actually to replace the oil cooler completely.

Kaine

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
As part of the 907D recall I understand that there was a fix for the cooling system which cured issues with the water pump and the oil cooler (mine first Treg was a 2.5R5 and it had oil in the coolant header tank :shock: ). It would be worth checking if the recall was done on you car- even if it is out of original waranty VW have be helpful..).

Cas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cas said:
As part of the 907D recall I understand that there was a fix for the cooling system which cured issues with the water pump and the oil cooler (mine first Treg was a 2.5R5 and it had oil in the coolant header tank :shock: ). It would be worth checking if the recall was done on you car- even if it is out of original waranty VW have be helpful..).

Cas
is there an easy way to find out if recalls have been carried out or is it a trip to VW?

allistair

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
It's a visit to VW I'm afraid

The 90D7 Recall which would deal with this issue is actually a bit like a Micro$oft Service Pack in that it is a range of updates, replacements etc but the same works are not done on each car (and some may not require any work at all) - it is entirely down to chassis number as some upgrades were implemented at production, others not, and the details are held on VW's service records.

HTH

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Ref the recalls:

In my '53 3.2, there are three stickers on the metalwork to the nearside of my spare wheel [underneath the carpeted boot floor] detailing the recalls, dates and garage that did them. I don't know if this is standard VW procedure.

When my car went for a free safety check, Windrush of Maidenhead checked [regardless of the stickers] if all the recalls had been done which they had with the exception of the door lock jamming job which they duly did FOC so there is clearly no problem with asking VW to check and do the work if it is still outstanding.

Good luck with that leak.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I have the same couple of stickers beside the spare wheel recess detailing the recalls.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm coolant level falls and as if by magic oil level rises and changes from nice clean shiny oil to gloop.
VW say that there is no outstanding work to be done on the car re recalls etc and that none of it is safety related anyway so nothing to worry about but would not tell me if any recall/update work actually had been done or if any recalls applied to the car. there are no stickers in the boot and nothing in the service book.
the fun continues

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Given nthat VW are obliged to undertake recalls, you could always say to them "Since you won't tell me whether this vehicle has had the recall work done or not, I now want ALL the recall work done on this car . . . please and these are the recall numbers . . . . .."

I don't know the recall numbers offhand withou looking in the boot of my car but they've been listed on here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Folks , the 90D7 campaign have stoped at the end of December. So if your car have not got the work done by now it will not get it done anymore. its over .
If you really want it done you would have to pay for it.

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts