Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a leak under the nearside wing today.
After removing the inner wheel arch cover I traced it to the lower of the two aluminium heater pipes which return from the Webasto unit and pass through the inner wing into the scuttle area.

There is a small pinhole caused I think by the pipe being in close proximity to the hole it passes through, and winter salt has caused some corrosion.

As the pipe is nigh on impossible to remove without seriously major dismantling (and it may actually be an integral part of the heater assembly) I have had to resort to a temporary repair using a steel sleeve Araldited into place, until I can look up the required part at the stealers. Repair seems fine, but who knows how long it will last.

I've attached a pic of the area.

Anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

·
49 Posts
Found a leak under the nearside wing today.
After removing the inner wheel arch cover I traced it to the lower of the two aluminium heater pipes which return from the Webasto unit and pass through the inner wing into the scuttle area.

There is a small pinhole caused I think by the pipe being in close proximity to the hole it passes through, and winter salt has caused some corrosion.

As the pipe is nigh on impossible to remove without seriously major dismantling (and it may actually be an integral part of the heater assembly) I have had to resort to a temporary repair using a steel sleeve Araldited into place, until I can look up the required part at the stealers. Repair seems fine, but who knows how long it will last.

I've attached a pic of the area.

Anyone else had this problem?
I had the same problem, had to take it to the stealers in the end. The scuttle area had to be dismantled and the pipes replaced that travel accross to the other side of the car, wiper motor, wiper arms etc. had to be removed to replace the pipes. Total cost £386.00

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I had the same problem,
I wonder if this is another design fault / quality control issue that VW should be offering a goodwill payment to remedy? ..

Edited....

Also having had a quick look at the Warranty Direct T&Cs I'm thinking that this would not be covered by them as it could be blamed on corrosion. Any thoughts WD experts?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Scowl for the info.

The dealer was unable to identify the exact part from the exploded parts diagram, without taking the car to bits.

Goods news is that my repair is proving completely successful, so leaving it alone for the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts