Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had an offer from the nice people at Volkswagen.

My P-Zero's have now done 11500 miles and they are cooked. I asked VW, through the local stealer, for a contribution for some new ones. They've agreed to pay 45% of the cost of new boots. They won't let me have new zeros (wonder why?!) but the dealer has sourced either Contis or Bridgestones for around ?225 per corner (with the VW contribution that's around ?125 per corner).

What do you reckon, Contis, Bridgestones or shall I see if I can get some Grabbers from somewhere for that sort of money? If the Grabbers, anyone know of anywhere near me who'll supply and fit?

Cheers,

Chris

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
For ?125 per corner you could get yourself a set of Hankooks or Grabbers no..? Plus VW and Hankook are partners in so many things, so must be available somewhere... If VW are willing to pay ?125 a corner, the whol set would then be free to the likes of you sir and you could spend your spare cash on aunt Sally's Christmas pressies.

IMO - I wouldn't touch the Conti's or Bridgestones, as although great for grip (just like the Zero's) they'll wear out in the same timespan, and the dealer would be better off giving you the tire of your choice up front, so they don't have you back again in 7-9k miles with the same gripe.

(Do a search on Bridgestones, as I don't recall much being said about them, so they may be the lesser of two evils if this is the only offer on the table)

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as always

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
FWIW - I bought 2 Conti Contacts off Alastair (AGR5) in Feb with 6.5 mm @ 62000 miles
(viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6374&start=0)

I also fitted 2 new Kumhos on the front @ 67000 miles.

My service has just been done @ 79000 miles and Fronts (Kumho) 7.5mm Rears (conti) 5mm on all points.

So that's 1.5mm wear on 17000 miles - admittedly mostly motorway.

All I'm saying is that maybe for the 2.5 TDi the Contis are OK ??

Originally I had Bridgestone Turanzas on all 4 corners - they wore from 4/5 mm to 2mm between 58000 miles and 62000 - 67000.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Wurzel said:
as always
Why am I doubting the sincerity there Wurz..?!

WRT the Conti's: a friend keeps replacing like for like on their Cayenne, as they're the factory fit, but won't listen to 'wisdom' and wonders why it ploughs thru them every 6k miles.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a bit of it. Good advice, as always.

Ta very much.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
HFG post correct IMHO.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Chris,
There are so many of us on Hankooks or Grabbers that I'd go along that route.
Hankooks for great high mileage,Grabbers slightly less treadwear rating but boy did they perform well on and off road on the Unlimited Days.
We aint all wrong!

·
886 Posts
Chris,

The Bridgestones are not good. Tyre wear index if I remember correctly was 140.

Replacement Hankook's on our 2.5 with 18' rims cost ?75 each including delivery but excluding balance and fitting.
More expensive on your Altitude rims of course but the wear rating is in the 400 range. 440 if I remember correctly.

VW insisted on giving us a new full set of Bridgestones when they replaced the transfer box. I asked for Hankooks but the stealer said they had to put on like for like. Didn't complain as I was not contributing

The second set of Bridgestones took us to about 23k miles when I then bought the Hankooks and to be honest they still looked like new when the car went with 47k on the clock!!

Decisions Decisions

Cheers

Tom

·
121 Posts
The dealer put a new set of Bridgestones(dulers) on mine when I bought it,I would'nt have chosen them myself,but have no complaints as yet.When they are done I'll change them for Grabbers though.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Offtop - but just noticed you have a 964 - proper Porker

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I thought I was doing rather well getting 11500 out of the P-Zeros. I am a fatter version of Jenson Button, clearly.

I appreciate the advice luvvies (especially hfg's - mwah darling). I was convinced that I was going for Hankooks or Grabbers but then the people at VW go and do something that confuses my simple protein and amino acid based decision-making process. I mean, it's just so easy to accept their offer and be done with it for another (admittedly short) period of tyre ownership.

I know what the right thing to do is. I'm just lazy.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Wozzer,
13500 out of my P zeros on a 2.5.
I wasn't too displeased with that cos I'd been used to 12000 m from my old Shogun.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You da man, hagrid. Obviously you are a slightly less fat version of JB.

·
165 Posts
Wurzul,
I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler Sports 275 45 19 on my 3.0 from new. Changed to Hankook RH06s at 19000 miles as they are well regarded on here. On the plus side after 7000 miles they seem to be wearing well and will no doubt out last the Bridgestones with little more road noise or harsher ride. On the down side they do not grip anything like as well in the wet, which really held on very well before going into a slide. The boy racer in me still rears his ugly head from tome to time. Do not, by the way confuse the Duelers Sports with any other Bridgestones, ie Turanza ER30s, which are very soft and will be lucky to last 10,000 miles. I did think that 19,000 was at all bad but was just curious to see if the Hankooks were any better off road. I've yet to really try them yet. Just my tuppence you pays your money and takes your chance.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I know, I know.

I know what you're all going to say ...

I decided to go for the Continental CrossContact UHP which the dealer has offered and not try and find a set of Grabbers or Ventus. At this point, I'd like to point out for the record that this is not laziness on my part (oh, well a little bit then) but is actually a selfless act of research. I decided that there was far too much knowledge and comment on this forum about the Grabbers and Hankook Ventus ...

I checked out this page from tirerack which seems to indicate that I'll be 98% as happy with the Contis as I would be with the Grabbers. The wear rating is 420 as opposed to the Grabbers 360, so should be passable. Best price I could get on Grabbers (275/45/19) was ?164 per corner; interestingly they were in limited supply. The CrossContacts (with my 45% discount) work out to ?130 per corner. Couldn't find anyone locally who could even find a set of Hankooks in the country let alone give me a price.

The way I see it is, I'm paying less than 98% of the price of the Grabbers so all should be gravy! I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Remember, I'm doing this for you ...

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dammit, you don't have to sound so sure, man! You'll all be laughing on the other side of your faeces ...

(I know you're right; I already have buyer's remorse ... )

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
But..... They was free innit... so can't grumble too much, and you know what you're letting yourself into.

Got a friend with the equivalent porka ugly sister, and goes thru boots in around 5k miles, won't listen to sense and go for some 'mungoslavian crap' tyres cos they aren't the factory spec Conti's. Dealer, and tyre man rubs their hands when they're seen walking in the door.

Not had personal experience of Conti's, but have with Pirelli's and Michelins on the Treg, and as good as they were for grip, the wear was just too damn fast. Now driving on the South Korean/Hungarian Hankooks and couldn't be happier with grip levels and wear.

Sorry for sounding so smug up there ^^

Toodles.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Meh, smug schmug - that's what I come here for, matey

Interesting - being the tyre expert what I have become - if you look at the US Wear Ratings thingy for both Diamaris and Zeros it's 220. The Hankook and XContacts are 420 with the Grabbers at 360.

By virtue of my selfless act in the name of forum research, (which you carelessly overlooked btw
) I hope to demonstrate whether there's anything in these US ratings or not ...

Pizzat

ETA: The Conti SportContact only has a wear rating of 280 ... maybe your mate with the porka (it's not ugly ... not not NOT) should try switching to the CrossContact if he's so wedded to Contis?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts