Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me???

I've come to be aware over the months of ownership that something doesn't feel quite right on full lock. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't feel confident of "attacking" any sort of sharp (full or near full lock) turn without the feeling that, well somethings going to give! I think it's a bit of vehicle paranoia on my part, but the feeling was reinforced recently while I had a Tiguan as a replacement car. The access to my in-laws driveway is a right angled access up a drop kerb off a main road, so I'm approaching at traffic speed, scrubbing off speed and turning in, through the gutter and up the ramp and across the footpath. A manoeuvre done with considerable care in the touareg but attacked with "gay abandon" in the Tiguan. It may have alot to do with the bulk of the Touareg and the 20" wheels but it just feels like the weight of the Touareg wants to push the outside front wheel off! Also, on tight turns she just feels like she's ducking her head under. Again it might be the bulk and higher CofG of the car as I'm coming from A4's. Also, I've always found the angle of the wheels odd on full lock. They seem to camber in alot (check out some of the vehicle sales pictures on car sales web sites)

Tyre wears even and okay, if a little rapid, but hey, nothing new there. She drives & tracks fine.

Any body else with similar symptoms of paranoia or repeated, unecessary washing of hands?

·
400 Posts
i find full lock should only be used at carpark speeds. when its slippy i find there is little traction on full lock due to the wheels sitting on the edges as you mentioned.

TBH i think the turning circle of the touareg is nothing short of amazing.

Are you just going too fast for full lock ??

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jsmills said:
i find full lock should only be used at carpark speeds. when its slippy i find there is little traction on full lock due to the wheels sitting on the edges as you mentioned.

TBH i think the turning circle of the touareg is nothing short of amazing.

Are you just going too fast for full lock ??
J,

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm driving with care and consideration for my beloved vehicle! You make me sound like a crazed maniac!

I agree that front wheel traction when getting close to full lock is noticeably reduced, which is exaggerated by 2.5t of vehicle trying to carry on in a straight line .

Since my first post entry I have also noticed when reversing out of my drive, turning out at right angles, when the front wheels "drop" down the 25mm access kerb (while I'm over near full lock) there is a noticable jolt or change of bias as though there is a conflict between the 2 front wheels. As you say, if the wheels are sitting over on their edges this might manifest itself in a change of rake or caster during loading and unloading of the suspension, coupled with the wheels tilt or camber, this could also vary the track of the front wheels.

All I'm trying to say is that I think the touaregs steering geometry has "issues" This is a sweeping statement I know, but I think there is a indirect link to uneven tyre wear, which seems to be a common issue. I have some reservations about uneven tyre wear being solved by transmission & stepper motor fixes. Uneven tyre wear is normally a function of tracking or steering geometry. Perhaps transmission faults coupled with the Touaregs steering geometry cause the uneven tyre wear?

Anybody got any thoughts?

·
656 Posts
Can't say i have encountered any problems on full lock.

regarding tyre wear.... the pirellis on the vehicle from new are very soft and wear quickly (13K miles), but the tyre wear was even. I replaced with hankooks and although the allignment was checked, it was as near as damn it right. The hankooks are looking good for 35-40K.

It sounds like your steering has some other problem. It sounds like it could be a stepper motor or transfer box. There are problems on early tregs, but it would be uncommon on a 58 plate.

You need to take it to a dealer and let them look at it, if only to put your mind at rest.

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Points noted old boy,

Tyre wear is okay and even at present. Got the original Michelin Diamaris still on. Done 14k and unless they have a relapse, they should be good for 20k+. She's just come back from a Transfer box ECU replacement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not loosing sleep over it, Just when you do 45,000k a year you get dialled into a car and notice (time to notice) alot of things you might not pick up otherwise. Just thought I would post to see if anyone else had any thoughts. I don't think the 20" help...the shorter, stiffer walls transmit any bumps back through the steering.

·
656 Posts
no problem. I know what yhou mean.. no one knows my car like I know it and you know if something feels or sounds different. however, it might be worth having it checked. either way, hope you're enjoying those 45k mile per year.

·
3,680 Posts
I think you answered what the problems was in your first post.

It's your 20" alloys imo.

·
400 Posts
socks said:
You make me sound like a crazed maniac
that was the impression you gave
Do you use the handbrake during this drive entering maneuver

scottie is prob right about the 20" if all else seems ok. Ive not noticed anything with mine but ive got the cushion of 18" to save me. But then ive never been to you in-laws

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I spent 30 years avoiding the in-laws - perhaps you should try it!! :twisted:

·
318 Posts
Socks,

I'm driving the same unit as yourself (3l Altitude with 20" Ayers Rocks) only on a '57 plate and experience exactly what you describe when reversing tight off my driveway.
It feels as if the car wants to scrabble sideways for a second or two but once straightened up is ok.

I've never noticed anything unusual when driving forwards from, or on to the drive and it isn't noticeable on lesser lock.

The car has been like this since I got it at 6 months old and I've never felt the need to have it looked at, as my previous V10 Altitude was exactly the same, which I put it down to a trait of the car.
V6 is fairly low mileage, but has covered a lot of those miles with a large caravan on the back and the original tyres are lasting well with no signs of uneven wear.

If you do decide to have yours checked I'd be interested in the result,

All the best !

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JS,

Gone are the days of my youth when I used the hand brake more than I did the steering wheel! Incidentally I dare not use the Touareg's woeful handbrake for the mundane task of hold it still so I can't imagine the resulting mechanical disaster if it was asked to stop the old girl while she was moving!

In-law's - Don't go there!

Noobs,

Don't go there!

Scotty,

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not alone in my paranoia. As I said I'm not overly concerned because tyre wear is okay and I think the reasons for it are the quirks of the steering geometry coupled with the 20"s. I thought you make notice it forwards crossing bull-nose kerbs on full lock as it's the same feeling... as though the 2 front wheels are tugging at each other.

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gents,

I've been thinking more about this...cut me some slack

I'm a big fan of car engineering. I think for the money, car design, construction and quality is pretty much second to none. You think how much a washing machine costs and what it really is. It's produced in the same numbers as a car if not in greater, yet it's a steel box with an electric motor, drum and electric egg timer, costing you the thick end of ?500 if you want the Ghia X versions.

A car is a masterclass in design. Look in the engine bay. How everything is packed in. You think about the Touareg's electronics...incredibly complicated. Just think about something simple as a car door. Designed to be produced in it's thousands, efficiently, yet has to open & close a miriad of times, keep out water, suit the design shape of the car, have an opening & closing window in it, yet fit so you can do over 100mph without any wind noise. All this and it will cost you the price of 60 washing machines (actually even I've lost where I'm going)

No, my point is, why, when a car can be so well designed, does it seem (as it does to me) that the steering geometry on the Touareg be slightly flawed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts