Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 08 Altitude the compass is 180 degrees out ... the heading it is pointing to is correct but North & South are reversed. EG North is indicated to the left when in fact it is pointing to the right.
Anyone else?
Ta
Mal

·
656 Posts
have you tried turning your car around:)

·
886 Posts

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Good job you're not Christopher Columbus.
The Aussies would all be speaking with American accents and singing "Waltzing Britney"

·
104 Posts
Have you checked that your location is correctly set so the car knows what part of the world you are in. See your manual for instructions how to do this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't find a way of adjusting it on the RNS 510. The instructions list it for the roof lining compass but not the one in the multi function display.
Have to move to OZ!
MAl

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi I found the old instructions for the RNS2 reset which I posted sometime ago. I don't know if it is any help but I thought its worth a shot...
I am also aware the change of system RNS2 ( Bosch) to RNS 510 ( Siemens) so it may not work in quite the same way but it may give a clue.

You can do your own calibration.
First, you have to drive to a known intersection on the map, parking as close to the corner as possible. The best is a T intersection so you are not confused as to which road you are on at the junction.
Zoom the map in to 0.05 mile zoom.
Press the NAVI button.
Press the SETUP softkey on the right side of the display.
Press the POS. ON MAP softkey on the left side of the display.
Confirm that you are still zoomed in on the 0.05 mile level.
Using the softkeys on the left side of the display, rotate the cursor to the correct direction you are parked.
Using the softkeys on the right side of the display, move the cursor to the correct location you are parked.
Press OK.
You have now calibrated your position and direction of travel on the map. Hopefully you will have better accuracy with the nav system.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Nice one T

Always good info

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks but no options listed in your text on my RNS510.
Went through the menus & couldn't find anything to do with the compass.
Going to set fire to it now!
Mal

·
Registered
876 Posts
It is not to do with the compass, it is the orientation of the the system itself. However I am sorry that the griff was duff. It was what info I had, I will try to find an answer it may take a little while since I do not have access to a RNS 510.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback....
Off for a few days & then it's a tin of petrol & a match...

Mal

·
96 Posts
I looked at my compass today, it looks the wrong way - with south to the front when you know you are going north, but the arrow/heading at the "back" i.e. nearest to you shows the direction you are going. It looks wrong because you can see the wrong direction at the front and the right one at the back.

Or am I missing the point of what you are saying???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You understand correctly.
Heading is correct in degrees but N & S are the wrong way round.
Very confusing when you use a compass a lot. I am heading to France for the weekend & if I used the compass in the Treg I would end up in Dublin.

Mal

·
34 Posts
LOL! There's nothing wrong with your compass, it's the same on mine too! You should notice that the compass 'reads' the correct heading and rotates the correct way as the car turns. Must admit this puzzled me initially as well.

This is one of those 'optical illusions' caused by the way VW decided to display the compass. The've tried to make it look like one of those ball compasses you'd get stuck to the windscreen. These behave in the same way (ie you read the reading from the bottom of the disk/ball), but you don't normally see the rest of the ball to get confused.

Look at the way the compass disk is displayed. The 'problem' here is that you are not viewing the heading from the top of the compass as you would traditionally do, you're viewing it from the bottom. Therefore when you are facing north, you are reading 'North' from the bottom of the disk. This is where South would normally be, right?

This has the knock on effect of 'appearing' to show the headings the wrong way around. In actualy fact, if the headings on the disk were shown as you would expect a normal compass to display them, you really would be messed up!

Make sense? Get a piece of paper and try it at home! OMG - I'm starting to sound like Jonny Ball on Think of a Number!!!!

HTH

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great explanation.... but with the greatest of respect not quite right.
Please don't shoot me down but I use a compass a lot when I fly... private flying only but the planes have all the same principle compass. North points North & south points South!
Been flying to France for the weekend and the brain is buggered so I can't give you any more definitive answers at the moment but for sure North doesn't ever change it's position.
Mal

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hi Simo,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post

I remember reading a very old thread on VWVortex about a similar problem with the original roof mounted compass plus a fix - I tried to find it again however without success - might have a read over on clubtouareg

Kaine

·
34 Posts
Hi All!

Great - a first post - AND a debate.....awesome!
)

Agree that North points North and South points South. Scientifically correct, and yes the main principle of a compass based on its magentised core. ;o)

However (let the debate continue
) ) If you label your North to be West and your South to be Mars then all you have done is changed the labeling of what you are reading, not of where North is.

This is the crux of the issue - we are misinterpreting what we are seeing. We are 'assuming' the display is showing a 'proper' compass - ie one where the reading is made from the 'top' of the instrument.
What is displayed in the MFD is purely the 'reading' or the 'label' of what you need to see, based on the location of where the reading is being taken (ie the bottom of the compass face). What is displayed is showing your heading, but it's relattion to where North is on the dial/display is irrelevant.

If you were to hold a 'normal' compass in perspective to that shown on the MFD, you would have a true indication of where North is - however, based on the fact the display is showing the heading/reading from the bottom of the dial/scale, your heading would be 180 out.

Try it...trust me - I'm a doctor... :eek:D

The simple fix to this would be a display that shows a 'normal' compass face and takes the heading reading from the top of the 'dial'.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts