Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been checking the oil level on my treg. Couldn't help but noticed how clean the oil looks (done 2500mls now). In the old treg. even after a service by the time you've checked after a week or so the oil is almost black. My wife's petrol vw eos always seem to have much cleaner looking oil than the old treg.

G

·
One possibility/probability is that garages take very little care to drain all the old oil, I suspect. At quick lube stations in USA they just suck the old oil up a fine pipe poked down the dipstick tube. Thus a proportion of the old dirty carbon-laden oil plus any fine sludge in the base of the sump mixes with the clean oil. That's my theory anyway.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Your theory sounds right to me Andy.
Remember in the good old days we used flushing oil....probably not usednow...not very pc.

·
203 Posts
Oil flush is big buisness nowadays, along with all the adatives i.e oil fortifier treatment , top end treatment.diesel treatment. I think a flush at fast idle for 10 minutes does wonders in cleaning all the gunk out. Plus oil is nice and hot so thin and comes out so much easier. We leave it drain while we do all the other bits in a service . But you'll never get it all out.

·
242 Posts
It is very hard to find an independent garage doing such thorough jobs.

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
A Turbo diesel oil has to do much more like travel through intercoolers and cool the turbo unlike an oil used in a petrol engine which just has the engine to worry about.
A few years back some diesel engines had to have their oil changed at 4.5k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts