Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, as anyone had experience with their 2.5 TDI being a GIT to start on cold mornings (below 4 deg c)? All the electrics and start procedure work fine as normal, the glow plug light goes out (i have taken to letting the glow plug procedure run up to 10 times lately) and the engine turns over but doesn't catch. If i do it three or four times it normally starts eventually. After starting once for the day, it behaves perfectly from then on, presumably as it warms up. Any advice welcome. if it is the glow plugs, any ideas on replacing these also welcome. thanks a million.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Hi Chich

When it finally starts, does the engine sound rough and belch black smoke for a couple of seconds?

If it does, its not a cold start problem, it's probably the oil pump - A pressure release valve sticks open in the pump, causing the engine oil to fall back into the sump.

Mine is intermittent and works itself loose again, so I have a couple of months of fine starts, then all of a sudden it starts to go t1ts up again

Spoke to Tregtech about the problem and he reckons that it's easier to replace the oil pump than get the valve repaired - if it becomes a complete pain in the chuffs

I'm living with it for the time being - spent enough on the Treg already this year :roll:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the tip and reassurance. Does yours only do it when it's cold, or all the time? As regards spending enough on the beast in the past 12 months............

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Funilly enough, it's been fine the past couple of weeks while the weather is cold (touch wood)

It's more to do with if the valve is sticking or not - Mine started to stop starting (!) nine months ago - lasted about 3 weeks then the problem disappeared again. Then it came back a couple of months ago then disappeared again.....its only when you get to the 20th attempt to turn the engine over that it gets annoying...... :wink:

·
656 Posts
That's told you Stubs!

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
s4treg said:
20 years of working on cars and LCV, ive never heard such, C**p, an oil pump will not stop the car from starting,
Not sure why the attitude is needed, but you are more than welcome to give us the benefit of your expertise

I had it diagnosed by a couple of Touareg Technicians, and they were pretty specific in explaining the problem and the cause and the fact its one of those loverly 'design features', so unless you have any better ideas, I'll go with the experts thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. when the car does start it certainly does belch crap for half a minute or so and then goes back to normal. I will investigate oil pump and installation costs and get it sorted soon. What i don't get is why it stops the engine from catching, which is why i assumed it might be the glow plugs. Cheers anyway fellas, no fisticuffs now please.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
But if its a glow plug issue, why would it happen for a couple weeks then disappear, then re-appear again a few months down the line?

Would have thought that if it was glowplugs, it would keep happening until the glowplugs gave up completely?

I wasn't fobbed off by the way - it was discussed with another guy on here who is a Touareg Tech himself and has diagnosed the same issue for other peeps.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Sorry S4treg -I'm not being difficult - I just don't think it is to do with ambient temperature

It happens any time of the year, not just when its cold outside - and even if it fires up fine in the morning, it can happen again later in the day, which makes me think its mechanical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, guys. My starting problem definitely only happens below 4.5 deg and not all the time / intermittently. I will have my local car guru check out both glowplugs and the oil pump next time he has it. all the best

·
400 Posts
chich1973 said:
I will have my local car guru check out both glowplugs and the oil pump next time he has it. all the best
Wow talk about sitting on the fence

You should be a Negotiator, seriously though this is what forums are all about a pooling of peoples knowledge
no one is right or wrong (well until he gets it fixed then you can rub it in
).

Anyways.... Merry Christmas

·
656 Posts
one must presume that Stubs is right. After all, he is telemetrically superior.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Hope you get over yourself soon. Now put the handbag away and calm down

*yawn*

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
:roll:

OK

If you insist - sorry for offending - guns are of course just plain wrong

·
886 Posts
Three cheers for Stubs!!

Hip Hip

Hip Hip

Hip Hip

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Wondered what the new avatar was about on another post
All gone now

Now I've found this post I can see why....

MJS, Making a new friend every day, paving his way to eternal infamy...

S4treg, we know how the VW dealerships are all over the place, however we're coming to the understanding that if more than 2 technicians are in agreement that's the solution/identification.

Comment on coil packs could be onto someting tho, Audi are renowned for coilpack failures, so could be a sister engine fault?

Just wish I knew what I was doing under the hood.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
This is great!
It's like the Milky Bar Kid trotting into town on his gay pony ,kicking the bar door open ,and handing out choccy bars to the rye drinkers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts