Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a proud new owner of a nice shiny Treg I'd like to keep it it nice and shiny. The difficult bit though is knowing which product will be the best for the materials used in out Tregs. The detailing thread got me thinking.

As we're a one horse forum so to speak I was wondering if it would be a idea if we all pool our collective experiences with cleaning our Tregs. This would help not only the new members (like myself who haven't got a scooby but also the oldies :wink: who might want to try something new). There are a limited number of materials and surface types in the Treg so would should be able to put together a cool little database of what to use where with a scoring system if we tally up the votes for each surface/product. It's one thing reading reviews of stuff in a magazine or the net but first-hand experience from a fellow (my)Tregger counts for much more

I've drawn up a list of things that need cleaned in a typical Treg

Exterior

Paintwork
Preparation:
Wash:
Wax:

Wheels (alloys)
Wash:
Wax:

Tyres
Dressing:

Sills and underbumpers (if black plastic)
Dressing:

Glass
Clean:
surface finish (e.g. Rain-X):

Chrome (nose, boot, trim, etc)
Clean/Shine:

Interior

Seats (leather):

Trim
Soft-touch plastics (e.g. dash):
Hard plastics (e.g. lower door panels, door/boot edgings, etc):

Trim inserts
Wood:
Carbon/Aluminium:

Carpet
Cabin:
Boot:

Cleaning hardware
e.g steam cleaners, foamer, microfiber mitts, etc

Tips/other info
Snippets of info picked up.
e.g.
DO NOT jet wash bumpers with parking sensors
Do not jet wash tyres (general advice from tyre companies as it can cause premature ageing of tyres)
Do not use cleaning products on the glass of the dials on the dash of the Treg - can remove the anti-glare coating

What do you think? If okay, you could copy and paste the above list and fill in your products. Obviously those that only put Turtle Wax products in all categories might be looked upon suspiciously
I think we could build up a pretty good knowledge base for cleaning our Tregs

My entries? I'm too much of a noob just now so all I can put down are Zymol car wash (I have a Zymol hard wax from my last car which I was very happy with but haven't tried it out on the Treg yet) and some microfibre mitts which got a good rating in Autoexpress). I can put in the details when I get back home

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Funny isn't it?

But you wouldn't dream for one nano-second of putting a list like that together for your house!

I wash the car about every 6 months if a dealer hasn't done it for me recently and vacuum every two to three years.

G

·
EVERY 6 MONTHS! we,re off on our hols next week for a fortnight & i,m wondering who i could get to come round & wash it while i,m away

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
G

·
nice 1 NT, , if i knew that was coming round whilst i was away i,d give the hol a miss ,better with a pair of dust mits fitted appropriately though don,t you think ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
noobytoogy said:
Funny isn't it?

But you wouldn't dream for one nano-second of putting a list like that together for your house!
I know

But having read discussions about cleaning cars here and elsewhere regarding what to use and what not to use, etc. etc I thought this could have been a nice resource for Treggers who like to look after their cars.

·
60 Posts
Well, here's what I do...

Exterior

Paintwork
Preparation: Snow foam using a proprietory snow foam mix from carwashnwax.com
Wash: AutoGlym car shampoo, using 2 bucket method and a lambswool mitt. Do the wheels first, then change the water before doing the rest of the car.
Wax:If it needs it polish using Chemical Guy's Pro Polish +, and again, if it needs it, claying with a Meguirs smooth car clay kit. Then a glaze (I use Chemical Guy's EZ Glaze), then a sealant (Chemical Guy's Blitz), then a wax (Chemical Guy's Pete's 53). I do the full wax once every 2 to 3 months, and an interim using just the blitz once a week. Pics posted below to show the "reflections" I get...

Wheels (alloys)
Wash: Same as above
Wax: Same as above

Tyres
Dressing: AG Tyre dressing

Sills and underbumpers (if black plastic)
Dressing: n/a

Glass
Clean: AG fast Glass or AG Glass polish
surface finish (e.g. Rain-X): Rain X

Chrome (nose, boot, trim, etc)
Clean/Shine: Same as all the Chemical Guys products (it's not reall chrome...just silver plastic.) I use Autosol on the exhaust tips though.

Interior

Seats (leather): AG Leather cleaner and AG leather care cream.

Trim
Soft-touch plastics (e.g. dash): AG Interior Shampoo (If needed) and AG Vinyl / rubber care.
Hard plastics (e.g. lower door panels, door/boot edgings, etc): As above

Trim inserts
Wood: Pledge household polish.
Carbon/Aluminium: none.

Carpet
Cabin: Vacuum. AG ineterior shampoo if required.
Boot: As above.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
You do realise that it's going to get dirty in July, Robster! Whilst we'll find a non-damaging route, dirt will be de rigeur I'm afraid. :wink:

Mind you, then you'll have to joy of seeing it all come up gleaming again, I suppose!

Top finish, btw

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Don't know if this will be of any use to anyone but Poundland now have a range of microfibre cleaning cloths, microfibre sponges etc in different sizes, colours and pack sizes for their usual retail price of ?1

G

·
Don't forget to put in a bit about tools. I use a platform stand bought from Argos cause its longer than most and is only about ?35. I also find that the grey and black wheel brush available at morrisons petrol stations work great on alloys. Definitely two bucket method wash after snow foam to prevent swirl marks. Meguires all purpose cleaner for glass and everything else interior. Get Gtechniqs G1 on the exterior glass for easy water run off. Amazing product.

Wire wool and metal cleaner on the exhaust tips for those that have altitude spec cars.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
No ones' mentioned cleaning the engine compartment or the spare wheel nor polishing the inside of the wheel arches.

There was a thread about cleaning exhaust pipe tips too a while back so that's another job.

Also very important to clean the rubber on the wiper blades - front and rear.

It's important, too, to remove the tax disc holder when polishing the inside of the front windscreen otherwise you get a white mark around the edge where the polish isn't quite removed.

And don't forget finishing on the rubber strips on the roof too.

Don't forget, also, to take out all the light bulbs and polish those and I've noticed dust can get inside the headlight glasses so whilst the bulbs are out you can polish these as well.

And I'm amazed no one's mentioned taking the wheels off to clean the inside of them as I've noticed mud gets lodged in there.

Finally, some of that black finishing stuff works wonders on the tyre valves - really sets them off a treat and everyone, but everyone will notice that particular attention to detail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts