Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I want to wrap the chrome boot lip, but it's too cold and wet to do it in situ. Can it be removed with out too much hassle? If I could wrap it in the warm and then refit, I'd be very happy!

I guess its a few clips / bolts etc... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and regards

· Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
716 Posts
Wrapping wouldn't last long against knocks and scrapes, if you want black and functional I'd replace it with an aftermarket jobbie.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair point. I was planning on double wrapping for that very reason. Small knicks can be sorted with a sharpie! LOL! :)

Do you concur with the @Black Grouse that it is bonded?

And do you know where might sell a black one?

Thanks!

· Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
716 Posts

· Mechanical Guru
2,718 Posts
Bumper cover removal is required on T3/T4 according to the manual.
I haven't ever attempted to wrap anything.. I'd imagine that all those ridges on the trim would be a challenge!

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Thanks for the link. T1 trim look a little different. The trim for 7p seems to have some tabs which fit under another piece of trim. Link to 3rd party product below -

I've just found this video -

Looks like too much ball ache to me, I'm not taking the rear bumper off to get to do this... I think I will have a stab at wrapping it in situ.

And in terms of the durability of the 3M Gloss Black Wrap that I am using - I have done about 7k miles since wrapping the chrome at the front, only one stone chip to date, so IMHO the 3M wrap is pretty tough. Plus, it's not hard to remove a refit as required. And much cheaper and easier that Plasticote etc.

:)

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumper cover removal is required on T3/T4 according to the manual.
I haven't ever attempted to wrap anything.. I'd imagine that all those ridges on the trim would be a challenge!
Thanks for confirming!

I have only ever wrapped the chrome trim that runs around the Treg and the chrome on the front bumper, they are all flat with minimal contours. It was relatively easy, most of the time is prepping the surfaces etc.

But, yes, the ridges on the boot lip trip could be a problem. That said, there is a fair amount of 'give' in the wrap when it is warm, so I think I have a fighting chance. If it doesn't end well. then I will just have to remove the wrap and accept the chrome in all its cheap and nasty shiny glory!

The other bit I want to do is the window trims, I have plenty of tape to do that and some larger sheets to do the trim around the small passenger window. It was just too hard to get the tape to follow the curves, even when it was warm...

Anyways, I think I will have a stab at it later this arvo. Will post the results.

Thanks to you all for the info etc!

· Registered
496 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the link. T1 trim look a little different. The trim for 7p seems to have some tabs which fit under another piece of trim. Link to 3rd party product below -

I've just found this video -

Looks like too much ball ache to me, I'm not taking the rear bumper off to get to do this... I think I will have a stab at wrapping it in situ.

And in terms of the durability of the 3M Gloss Black Wrap that I am using - I have done about 7k miles since wrapping the chrome at the front, only one stone chip to date, so IMHO the 3M wrap is pretty tough. Plus, it's not hard to remove a refit as required. And much cheaper and easier that Plasticote etc.

Had that replaced on my T3 after it got damaged in a minor bump. It's got an adhesive strip under it and two pegs that push into the bumper. Took the guy who did mine about 5 minutes, he used a heat gun to soften the adhesive and just pulled it off. Cleaned off the old adhesive, removed protective tape from strip on new one and simply pushed the new one on

· Mechanical Guru
2,718 Posts
Had that replaced on my T3 after it got damaged in a minor bump. It's got an adhesive strip under it and two pegs that push into the bumper. Took the guy who did mine about 5 minutes, he used a heat gun to soften the adhesive and just pulled it off. Cleaned off the old adhesive, removed protective tape from strip on new one and simply pushed the new one on
In that case the T3 and T4 (with the ridges) have a different fixing.
The T4 appears to have tabs along the full length of the trim front and back edges. I'd guess you need to insert a wedge to release them.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. The guy in the YT video used several few old stanley blades as wedges. Now i'm a big fan of making use of whats around you, but id draw the line at setting up about 15 rusty blades all primed and ready to ping free and poke you in the eye!

I think that the trim for the 7p would need wedges plus heat to remove. I can see myself knackering something, possibly myself, so my current thinking is to wrap in situ. The weather is going to let me do it today tho...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts