Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 17" Canyon wheels with OEM tyre size of 255/60/R17. I am considering changing to the other recommended size 235/65/R17 as there seems to be 3 times the choice (= availability in remote areas) and I also want to maintain the same diameter.

If I may ask I have two questions:

Has anybody experience changing from 255/60/R17 to 235/65/R17?

I know this should not be a factor but if somebody had a photo (reasonably close) of Touareg with 235/65/R17 on that would be appreciated. All new Touaregs in Australia with 17" rims are delivered with 255/60/R17 as standard.

What are people?s preference / experience / recommendations?

I have only got about 21,000km's
out of the OEM tyres and would like to get at least double this.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Carson

G

·
Carson, from the side your tyres will look identical - the overall diameter of both sizes is the same. From front or back the 235/65 tyres will look narrower - by 20mm.

In my opinion the wider tyre looks better, but I doubt if there would be any discernible difference in roadholding or braking.

that's my 2 cents!

Cheers, Andy

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy, the main reason to change is because there are many more options in the 235/65/R17 size - there are not many AT or ATR options in the 255/60/R17 size and I am also looking for a tyre that will last a lot more than 21,000km that the OEM Pirelli P Zero.

I think the moral of the story is to trade in the OEM's upon delivery for a harder compound tyre.

Carson

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I have just done the change in reverse - going from 235/65/17 to 255/60/17.

I fitted General Grabber UHPs [running at 36 psi all road] as they have a decent tread for doing gentle off roading and the car was transformed with the ride being far more compliant and therefore more comfortable and far, far quieter too than the OEM Continentals with no loss of grip or turn in. The car ['53 3.2 auto petrol] confidently climbs slippery wet grass/muddy fields without using any of the gizmos and rides over cattle grids at 40 mph a treat.

So you may find that going to a slighter narrower tyres may affect the ride.

There's loads of info here

viewforum.php?f=43

Please spend a hour or so doing a good trawl before you change!

Cheers!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts