Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just picked up my new Caravan, which (unknown beforehand) has LED brake lights. (Both as the "normal"lights and the high level).

When connected to car, the Bulb Failure System told me there was problem with the trailer brake lights (that's when I discovered they were LED !) and accepted that

Another problem (bigger one if towing in poor light or the dark) is that all Brake Light LEDs (on the caravan) were constantly flashing very faintly . I assume the flashing is the Bulb Failure system checking the circuits. (Although this happens even with the ignition turned off). When the brake pedal is depressed however, the LED lights do shine as expected.

Reading other posts, it looks like I need to fit a resistor to fool the bulb failure system, but I would like to know a bit more - for example; what size resistor, where to fit, whether to fit in series or on parallel also would a resistor stop the LEDs flashing !

Thanks for any advice.

Jevs

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

thanks for the suggestion noobytoogy, I have found a supplier in the UK and will give it a go.

I spoke with a VW Treg technician who advised me that although trailer bub failure could be coded-out, it was not recommended by VW and could have other side affects !

Treg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts