Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right

SHMBO needs a car, shes learning at the moment and i can't get her insured on the Treg to practise in.

We have about ?4K cash to buy SHMBO a car that fit's in with her lifestyle once shes passed her test...basically shipping the winks of to school and back, and a bit of shopping, it would need to be sub ins grp 15 for her to get ins whilst learning, but we can stretch a little because shes classed as a mature learner....shes 30, so the insurance is cheaper.

I think about 3000 miles a year is going to be covered in it.

She like's the A Class, but for the money not going to get anything great, probably 00-01 at best with any sort of mileage, i've seen some with low mileage but to far away to see/buy, others newer but with higher mileage 70K +. all sorts of colours that look naff.

I like the Alfa 147, great looking, ok in the back for the kids on the 10 min journeys to/from school, seem to get better spec and newer ( 02-03 )for the same money with a lot less miles, alot more seem local i.e less that 50miles away, also not worried about the Alfa reliability 'stigma', i would be looking after the car on a routine checks basis.

also, i would probably at some point have to drive her car, don't fancy driving an A class myself, and lets face it....theres nothing better that a hot chick (Her NOT me!!!) driving an Alfa! :wink:
...sorry to the girls on here

Lets be havin yer thoughts...

Jim

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Whatever you do,don't buy a people carrier.
It would mean you've given up.
The A class is a woman's car so that precludes you from driving it.
Everyone has to have an Alfa once in their lives.
Generally one is enough.
My one managed to crack its head.
But at least I had one.
As I said,one is enough
I would go for classless practicality.For 3k you can buy an 01/02 Golf estate.
4k would get you a 03 poss 04.
All the kids junk can slide about in the back,you can take c**p to the tip without messing your car up and you could be a millionaire or potless.
With a Golf no one can ever tell.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
how about a Mini? Even the Mini One is a hoot to drive for you and a great car to learn in - visibility is great, steering is light and she wont feel intimated by other cars as much ??

Kaine

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
there are a few Mini One's on the trader 01-02 plate around the 5k mark - always worth a 4k offer in this climate

Kaine

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
and dont be concerned with the fact its so small - it just reduces how much shopping can be carried :wink:

·
3,680 Posts
Kaine said:
and dont be concerned with the fact its so small - it just reduces how much shopping can be carried :wink:
you would be amazed at the amount of shopping bags I can get in a Mini.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely second Kaine's suggestion. Mini's are a great drive.
Towrag, you say there's nothing better than a hot chick driving an Alfa, well personally I think there's nothing better than a yummy mummy in a Mini!!
I wish her good luck with lessons/test.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Scottie][quote=Kaine said:
[/quote]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[/quote]

:roll:

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
[/quote]

....no I wouldn't.... :roll: :roll:

Another vote for Mini here....or the Golf....really dont think you need look any further than those 2.

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
Now, just to spoil the fun...I've voted for the A class
I owned an early one, loved it for what it was and I've got my practical head on (having just bought a second car for SWMBO as she is a bit stranded now when I am out with the Tig & trailer doing Segway tours).

When we started looking for a second car we thought "something a bit frivilous but small" and saw a very reasonably priced second-hand Mini convertible, but in reality the two doors of a Mini and putting little one in a child seat in the back was real potential for pulled muscles, etc, not to mention the extra room needed to swing the larger door open to get decent access into the back. Just think of the potential supermarket car park dinks!

The A class is sooo roomy for something that is shorter than a Polo. The higher driving position is better. There's less leaning down to do up the kiddy seats, and I could go on. It feels a solid car to drive - even on a long journey. It is so full of safety technology. If it's Merc serviced (not extortionate) you get 30 years Mobilo (breakdown service) thrown in too. I KNOW IT IS A BORING CAR, but what is it wanted for and who is to be the driver?

I was going to buy a nearly new 1.5 A Class Classic as our second car, but couldn't justify the ?11k on something that would do such low mileage. I'm just back from Motorpoint having collected a 4 month old Meriva 1.4 Design with under ?5k miles for just over ?8k. It is bland and tinny, but practical.

OK folks - I've put my hear above the parapet ---shoot away!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.

We've already looked at a Mini, however 'the boot is too small, i'll never fit a buggy in there, plus...where would the Dog's go?' was the observation, my reply...errr the Touareg?

We like the Golf, will dig around and have a looksee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts