Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having big problem with my Treg - will probably be having to ask about that shortly!

For now, just a quickie - Is there anyway I can open the car if my remote isn't working? It is a 2004 R5 and the remote just refused to work after I had popped indoors for 2 minutes to pick up something I forgot!

Changed the battery, even though I didn't get any warning that the battery was low, but still the same

I understand that I am new but would really appreciate some help - we cannot find the spare remote anywhere and fear we have lost it! My handbag and phone are stuck in the car and it isn't even parked properly.

Thanks

·
3,680 Posts
from memory is there not a key the pops out from the remote have you tried opening the door with that.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I think I saw someone on here a couple of days ago write that there is a small plastic cover on the fixed part of the door handle that slips off to reveal the keyhole where you would normally expect it to be if it were not concealed.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Hopefully by now you are in...
My car is at the dealer so I cant say where the key-lock is but I am sure it has one because my car was supplied with 3 keys- 2 Remotes and one small plastic key to be kept in a wallet/purse in case you get locked out.
Did you also get a non-remote wallet key?

Cas

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I have realised why I don't have a lock.

My Treg is a left hand drive so when a minibus smashed me in my drivers side, the doors were replaced with UK passenger side doors, hence no lock!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts

Sorry, but that REALLY is one of the funniest posts.

I'm still

and

That's like me hiring a car in France for the first time some years ago and on the second morning walking round to the driver's door, climbing in only to find there's no steering wheel! Doh - it's a left hooker dumbo!!

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Erm...not laughing right now!

I didn't know that my door had a concealed lock under the handle cover, and the garage that repaired the car didn't tell me anything!

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No!

I have got a garage friend coming to try and get into the car to see if I can configure the key with the car once it's in the ignition - here's hoping :!:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have just been outside and checked my car- there is no keyhole on the boot. :shock:

I was thinking- maybe you could open the boot- push the seat backs forward and clamber into the front? Does the boot-unlock button work on the key-fob?

Good luck.

Cas

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
When I had a problem with a key fob not working, VW Assist held the keyfob up to the drivers window and clicked the button - It had just enough juice left to pop the locks. He reckoned that this method usually worked OK when a battery is low.

If you've replaced the battery, chances are that it has wiped the settings so it may be a visit to the stealer

And agreed, not very funny when it happens

Behave Nooby

·
3,680 Posts
I would have told Allan to break the window by now.
always a option if you want to take it. :wink: :wink:

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read that if you change the battery then you can just reconfigure the key by putting it in the ignition - once we get into it.

We have a spare rear windscreen in the basement from getting our car repaired - OH is considering taking that route in - but if he does that and then the key doesn't work then we will be even more screwed!

The worry is that our car didn't warn us about the key battery being low (i have read since that it should have done) so we aren't even sure if that is what the problem was

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
I recall a thread about popping the rear lefthand tailgate cluster out (will damage it unfortunately) and you can then access a plastic tab that will release the tailgate. Might be cheaper than the glass option. I know the plastic tab is there and accessible as you can see it when you take the internal cluster access panel off.

Hope this helps.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is very, very interesting - thanks

Can't find anything about this on Google on anything, though - does anyone know anything about this?

Will definitely tell him and see if he wants to try it tomorrow when it's light - just hope it isn't on the other side in a left hand drive!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
mrs.z said:
That is very, very interesting - thanks

Can't find anything about this on Google on anything, though - does anyone know anything about this?

Will definitely tell him and see if he wants to try it tomorrow when it's light - just hope it isn't on the other side in a left hand drive!
Should be in the same place - remember they are designed and built by Germans who do drive on the left.

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere.

You need to lever off the fog light/reversing light lens on the left hand side (same on left hand drive cars) which will damage the cluster but the previous thread referred to using super glue to repair it. You then need to take out the bulb holder and reach into the opening and towards the middle of the car. The plastic tab is there and you pull it to release the tailgate.

Obviously this is a security weakness but apparently a lot of other makes (such as Mercedes Benz) have a similar set up. If the alarm is on it will go off but once inside you can reconfigure the key and hopefully sort the problem out.

Let us know how you get on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts