Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 T2 Touareg v8 7L BAR, Black on anthracite...&...2013 SL63 AMG Silver on red
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I have been having an issue for a couple of years now that, while only a nuisance, I would really like to correct. Shortly after having the transmission replaced in my 2008 v8 7L BAR, I noticed my driver's seat started retracting on it's own. I am all too familiar with 'easy-entry' features in cars, but as I understood it - my model did not have that functionality. While I have memory seats, my Treg has a 'manual'-adjustable steering column(so no little round button on the column to activate). At the same time, the seat does not retract when the ignition is switched off nor when the key is removed from the ignition; the seat retracts only after you leave the Treg and then open the door to get back into it the next time. It happens about 90% of the time, requiring me to reset the seat position every time manually or by using one of the memory positions. Recently I purchased a Ross-Tech VCDS adapter and was hoping I could troubleshoot this on my own. I followed instructions I found here which lead me to Module 36 (memory seat, driver), Channel 60 (easy-entry feature). The value was set to 1 (on). I changed the value to 0 (off) and closed out. I went back in to verify the change took place and it was set to 0. This did not correct the issue.

I went back into Module 36 and checked fault codes; it showed one fault, 01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285) 013 - Check DTC Memory. I logged the error and then cleared it. It has not come back since. I re-attempted to correct via the fix above, still with no resolution. For 9-1/2 years my seat was right where I left it when I locked my car. But since the tranny replacement, the issue has been plaguing me. This may be coincidental, but it is the only time anything could have been altered in my system by a technician. BTW...I ran a full system scan and there are no other DTC's in the system.

Anyone who might be able to provide insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated-thanks.
Peace & Luv of all things TREG!
Kryspyx

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
Hi kryspyx and welcome to myTreg.com

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (year and model are a good start) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues. Your location (in your profile) is useful so that members don't recommend services you can't get to.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response - it will also be searchable so ensure that the title of the thread reflects the issue. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Although you already have your Touareg; please read this excellent buyers guide as it will familiarise you with common issues you may experience during the ownership of your vehicle.

Every member has a Gallery area in their profile and we love to see photos of your Touareg in action.

Please read the Announcements in the New Members Section which includes instructions on how to add photographs/images to posts and your My Gallery area.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.

·
Registered
2008 T2 Touareg v8 7L BAR, Black on anthracite...&...2013 SL63 AMG Silver on red
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE....

I decided to play around a bit with this issue and I found something out. My memory settings were set as such:
1:) Standard perfect-posture seating position
2). ‘Relaxed’ position w/backrest reclined 15%(appr)
3). ‘Exit retracted’ w/whole seat back all the way

Being disabled, I need a little extra room at times to swing my legs over the door jam. This happens rarely, but as I am the sole driver of my Treg...I can afford to waste the 3rd memory position. As it turns out, what I assumed was ‘easy entry’ kicking in, was actually the third memory position being triggered ‘almost’ every time I opened the door to get into the car. I proved this by changing the position of memory 3 to a position close to the steering wheel. Afterwards when I opened the door, the seat moved forward to the new memory 3 position near the steering wheel. Finally, I inverted my memory settings with 3 being the posture-perfect position, 2 still being the relaxed position, and 1 being the exit retracted position. Now it stays in posture perfect mode and doesn’t move at all when I open the door, unless I exit the Treg with the seat in either of the other two settings, and then it just moves the seat back to the posture perfect position.
Had anyone else had an issue such as this? Could this be some setting somewhere in VCDS or maybe an issue with the memory switch itself? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I think I may have a Frankenstein Treg!!

Peace & Luv of all things Treg!!
Kryspyx

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
28 Posts
It sounds as if the car is recognising your key as related to position three and thus setting the seat to suit your key and its assigned seat setting. You can set each key to relate to any specific seat memory position

cheers
Rohan

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
X2 on the dedicated key and memory seat settings. Do you use the same key all the time and is the key paired to the car with your preferred memory settings 🤔

This thread might be worth a read:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X2 on the dedicated key and memory seat settings. Do you use the same key all the time and is the key paired to the car with your preferred memory settings 🤔

This thread might be worth a read:

Hey Cass...

Thank you so much for the info and link; my apologies for such a delayed response...it has been a very hard week for me - pain wise. I will try the instructions that were in that link for setting my ‘preferred’ memory position. I have both FOBS, of-course, but I only use one typically. I keep the second hidden in the garage, just in case I am driving the SL63 and need to get into the Treg. However, I learned early on in 2008 to remove the battery from the second FOB because it was so close to the car it would mess with the locks and drain the battery in the Treg - dealer said something to do with a ‘proximity sensor’ in the Treg. As it’s almost 1am here and I have turned in for the nite...I will test the seat in the morning and follow up so we can close this one as ‘fixed’.

Again...my greatest appreciation for your’s as well as all other contributors’ help in getting to the bottom of this - God, I love you guys & gals!

Peace and Luv of all things Treg!
Kryspyx

ps...updating other post with news, have a look 😉

Reactions: Cass

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
I make a point of using both fobs on my cars from time to time to ensure that they are still working okay as I don't trust them to remember them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts