Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
2011 V6 with 167k miles, fsh.
Every time the weather freezes, the 40A fuse blows for the air compressor. The car is kept outside. What is supposed to prevent the compressor from ingesting moisture and freezing? How can I prevent it happening? I have to use the car for short trips most days and with early starts, even during recent minus 4 degree temps.
I鈥檓 running on almost no air up front and I think it鈥檚 very dangerous. Advice please 馃檹馃徎馃檹馃徎

Chairman
Obviously you have moisture in the system.

There is a drier pack somewhere that is no longer doing its job and you have leaks so you need to have a good look around and see what's failed.

There have been discussions about charging the air system with nitrogen too.

In the meantime I spotted this ebay seller, see next post.

Might be worth calling him as it may be that he offers a quick fix to keep the struts full of air.

Chairman

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again everyone. I鈥檓 getting closer to the reason my ride height compressor freezes during cold weather, blowing the 40A fuse.
Apparently during its last service, the mechanic found the engine air filter case was wet with a lot of water.
I have the use of a lift and on Tuesday, I鈥檓 going to take out the compressor and bring it home for inspection and probable rebuild.
Can I drive the car home, which is about 1/4 mile from the nice guy who lent me his lift?
I don鈥檛 want to leave the car there while I rebuild the compressor. Thanks!!馃檹馃徎

Super Moderator
My front end went awry a few months ago and the air supply unit needed replacing (expensive - about 拢2k plus lots of labour hours) but thankfully all done under VW Extended Warranty. A tedious wait for the new part but VW stumped up for a courtesy car for the 7-8 weeks I was without it

There are green plastic drop links attached to the chassis as well (4 of them, 1 on each corner - levelling sensors) - 1 of mine snapped due to the high level of the front so check them out as well.

The Air Susp is indeed filled with nitrogen (special VW tool required) and all sorts of warning lights were thrown up when my car initially suffered the failure. No doubt VCDS was needed to delete these and recalibrate the system.

Edit - found my thread on this issue here:

Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
T1 / T2 cars used air with a drier system for fresh air intake and air venting in the suspension system. T3 plus cars use a dry nitrogen filled system with no drier. The T3 plus system does not vent but the compressor recycles the dry nitorgen in the system as the suspension is raised or lowered and and only pulls in outside air if the reservoir pressure is too low as i understand it.

Either you have a T2 with a stuffed drier or a T3 that has not been charged with dry nitrogen or has drawn in outside air due to leaks in the system. Unfortunately you dont provide details except a 2011 Treg which depending on what 2011 means e,g, Build date ? registraton date ? could be a T2 or T3

Registered
Engine air filter has nothing to do with the air compressor for the suspension. But you do probably have a compressor problem from your other post

Driving slowly on the suspension for a short distance without the compressor should be Ok as the residual pressure valves on the air struts should maintain acceptable suspension

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine air filter has nothing to do with the air compressor for the suspension. But you do probably have a compressor problem from your other post

Driving slowly on the suspension for a short distance without the compressor should be Ok as the residual pressure valves on the air struts should maintain acceptable suspension
Thanks! The outside temperature this morning is 5 degrees C, so I put a new fuse in and immediately after starting the engine, the can returned to its normal ride height, compressor is working well again. (I now have another problem; the alternator isn鈥檛 charging but it鈥檚 obviously unconnected with the compressor). So I鈥檓 sure there is moisture in there somewhere which keeps freezing up. So next Tuesday I鈥檓 taking the compressor off to find out what鈥檚 going on. Actually, there might be a common issue here. If water somehow got into the air filter casing, somehow got into the compressor, I guess it could have got into the alternator too. All are pretty close to each other. Could driving through flooded roads do this? If so, is it a known problem? Seems very strange鈥

Registered
Water in air filter, water in alternator causing a failure and water being drawn into suspension air compressor could possibly be related if you drove through a lot of deep water, but no real reason why all could have problems at same time as all have decent systems of water protection

Chairman
I believe there is an air drier in the air suspension system.

If the dessicant is wet this could be freezing and blocking the system

I think the first thing you should do is use soapy water spray to see if there are any air leaks in the system on a warmish day before dismantling anything.

Super Moderator
Thread now merged as responses were appearing on 2 separate threads - all now on this thread

Cass

Super Moderator
Water in the Air Filter is a known issue on the T3/T4 and could be unrelated to your other issues. There was a modification (drain hole 馃) but best to either keep an eye on it or have mod done as you could end up with turbo damage or worse. Previous threads on the subject including this one:

Registered
My 40A fuse blew in a cold snap before Chrismas. I know I have a leak, it's slow though and takes 3 or four days to be noticable. I've had it for some time so my Nitrogen is long gone. I've had a couple of goes at finding the leak, one day I'll find it and fix it but until then there's no point in getting the Nitrogen replaced.

It's fine to drive with you compressor functioning but if you've a leak don't end up driving it on the bump stops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts