Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have warning light come on indicating a bulb failure. On checking all the lights there all O.K. stop and start again it goes off until i flash the main beam. Any ideas as to what causing it. I've already checked all the earth straps i can find???

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Mine does the same too, we have decidied it is one of the front headlights when they do there re-levelling whilst sat at the lights

It even past the MOT with the warning light on as when he went around the car all of the lights were as they should be

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have had this maybe half a dozen times now, it seems to happen to me when the weather is very wet/cold and it's happened after I've washed the car...
:

·
318 Posts
My last Treg used to have a similar problem which slowly got worse - One of my headlights was defective and would flicker off momentarily, causing the bulb failure warning to light up. It would only reset after switching the ignition off and at the beginning the flicker was hardly noticeable, which is why I initially thought it was a fault on the sensor.

The light got worse and especially during wet weather would sometimes switch off for a few seconds at a time.

VW had a couple of unsuccessful goes at sorting it and it was during it's last visit to workshops that I got my current motor as a courtesy car, which I ended up buying from them.

I don't know if they ever got the prob sorted, but they told me that the last fix was an entire new headlight unit.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes, My warning light is starting to show more and more now, the car is due a service soon so will let the dealer have a look.

·
656 Posts
linn1000 said:
Yes, My warning light is starting to show more and more now, the car is due a service soon so will let the dealer have a look.
This happened to mine last weekend for the first time. I hasn't happened since. I couldn't see that any bulbs were out. Turning the ignition off and back on again solved the problem.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think it is caused by a connection problem to one of the headlamps, as the first time it came on it was doing its job and the nearside headlamp didn't come on, It did work after I turned of the ignition and re started. Each time since all the lights have been ok.

·
10 Posts
Hi

i had a similar issue except both my main headlights at the same time, the bulb failure light came on.

i took it to VW who checked and confirmed the bulbs were ok.

After another day of checking they found that the wiring to the bulbs had corroded and required remaking.

After that was done the bulbs worked ok and have since.

TW

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Take the lamp units out - there's good threads here on that but do give the "undo" screw a squirt of WD40 the night before.

Then undo the headlight connections and give them a quick spray of Halfords or Maplins electrical cleaner - costs about a fiver. Wipe off excess and reassemble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts