Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been picking my daughter up from nursery at work, narrow road with three cars coming up the hill. As I drive an offroader I went off road by driving onto the verge on the nearside, only to discover a massive tree stump which the nearside front wheel hit. The wheel is now turned out, need 45 degrees steering lock to go in a straight line and the TC cuts power whenever you try to turn a corner or hit any potholes etc.

VW assist lady very helpful, discussed need for a recovery truck etc, then they sent an RAC van. Now waiting for the low loader. Wifey taken Daughter home for tea and I'm sat at work.

Doesn't look like there's anything massively bent underneath, but will have to see what the dealer says tomorrow.

:x

·
749 Posts
Like K says .... OUCH ... I feel for you, hope its a cheap and simple fix, hope your little one wasnt distressed by the thump of the stump.
Insurance would cover repairs i would imagin if the need arises.

Furion

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Make sure the tyre is inspected very carefully just in case there is a bulge or cut on the inner wall where you can't see it.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
So sorry to hear it. Awful luck.

Overgrown verges, and particularly things like un-grubbed stumps, are a real problem. Imagine if that were a motorcyclist forced onto the verge. Really, it makes me so mad that the flippin' safety signage budget is so swollen by 'safety' camera revenue that we get 'safety signs' appearing by the bucket load along our country roads warning you to 'think' and yet you report so much as a loose kerbstone or a dangerous pothole and the poor buggers in the highways dept haven't got two farthings to rub together to do a damn thing about it.

Chris

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Conveniently I rent space in a large workshop which has a 3.5 ton 2 post lift and several competent mechanics around the place. Stealers was locked up and security posts up so couldn't leave the car there anyway. The lads at the workshop will have a look today and report back. So far as I can see it's a bent track rod and everything else looks OK.

It was on the hospital premises so i'll be speaking to the estates management people today.

Fingers crossed!

Jim

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

My Mate has replaced the very bent steering arm and track rod end, looks like everything else is OK. I have a wonky steering wheel and not quite right tracking so need a 4 wheel alignment. I have been searching the forums as I recall someone mentioning a place in Oldham that was good. Anyone have a recommendation for alignment in Manchester area??

Jim

PS the treestump now has a large yellow cone on top of it and the estates guy admits it should have been ground out in the first place, so if I try to claim I will win!

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
drjim said:
Update

My Mate has replaced the very bent steering arm and track rod end, looks like everything else is OK. I have a wonky steering wheel and not quite right tracking so need a 4 wheel alignment. I have been searching the forums as I recall someone mentioning a place in Oldham that was good. Anyone have a recommendation for alignment in Manchester area??

Jim
Have a look here Jim - http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Also if you search on mytreg.com using the word alignment, there are several threads which give you an idea on the relative prices.

I used the above site and checked out a company in Macclesfield - ?85 to check + extra for adjustment - they all seem to be body shops on the alignmycar site.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it was Drury Lane in Oldham that was recommended a while ago - conveniently near my work so I'll try to get it in to them tomorrow.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed

Steering arm replacement by my mate ?200
Wheel alignment check and adjustment by Drury Lane in Oldham - ?161

All the wheel alignments were out (despite what VW said when I asked them to check when I wore my tyres out marginally quicker than expected). I've got the pics of the alignment and will scan and post them once I have interweb at home again (just moved house).

Jim

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Excellent!

Just one thing: have you very carefully checked the tyre for any cuts or bulges, especially on the inside wall?

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Interested in the alignment data Jim - I need 2 new tyres and would probably go for alignment at the same time.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
If your tyres are wearing evenly from side to side, I'd question spending money on an alignment.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
noobytoogy said:
If your tyres are wearing evenly from side to side, I'd question spending money on an alignment.
They're not - outside of the rear nearside Turanza is worse than the middle and inside - Contacts on the front are not as bad but looking like they could go the same way.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
In that case I can understand your decision.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have created a new thread about this but I just had a full alignment from Chemix Autocentre in Stourbridge west Mids for just ?57.50 !!

I don't know if they are a national company but it's a great price!

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
linn1000 said:
I have created a new thread about this but I just had a full alignment from Chemix Autocentre in Stourbridge west Mids for just ?57.50 !!

I don't know if they are a national company but it's a great price!
They're only in Halesowen, Wednesford and Stourbridge - roughly West Midlands.

They have a voucher on their website for a free alignment check.

I drive past there 3 or 4 times a month so I'm tempted to book an alignment and my 2 new tyres - see if there's a deal to be had

1 - 20 of 21 Posts