Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I had one of the rear shock absober springs on my 2005 R5 TDI break today. I've not seen any other posts about this and was wondering if anyone else has had the problem.

I remember some comments in the Telegraph Honest John column about the way that european springs are made causing them to break, but I think this was them breaking at the ends, something to do with the way the ends are finished off. My spring is broken in the middle of the coil which I would think points to a faulty spring - especially as they should be more substantial than a non off roader. (Not used my car off road BTW).

·
372 Posts
I think it's a common enough fault on car's of any type. I know a mate of mine who had a snapped spring on his Seat Ibiza and after getting it replaced the spring on the opposite side broke too.

Are there a lot of pot holes in your general area?

·
1,307 Posts
this is an issue with citroens too, my son used to work for them and did loads, infact his own c2 rear spring snapped a few weeks ago. from an engineering and good practice point, you should always change springs in pairs.

·
372 Posts
you should always change springs in pairs.
This is were my mate fell down. Anything like that, be it tyres, brakes or suspension components, I always change in pairs too.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely have both springs changed.

Not too bad with potholes around here, it's just that even if there were 6 inch deep ones I would have expected the Treg to cope easily as that what it's designed for.

I hadn't noticed any other posts about broken springs so was thinking that it could just be faulty manufacture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts