Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the handbrake pull handle split and eventually came off all together.

I took it down to Dane in Chester the following day so that they could confirm the problem!!

The fact that I knew exactly what the problem and the solution I still had to endure a 30 mile round trip for them to look at it and then confirm what I already told them. The Treg tech said that they had had a few in like ours but they didn't have one in Parts otherwise they would have fitted it while I waited. I booke it in for two days later to allow the part to arrive.

Meanwhile I got a call to attend a meeting on the Friday so I called them to rearrange for another day but to be fair to Dane they sad that they would not be long doing it and I could wait. I wasn't prepared to do this as time would be tight so I said
" I don't suppose I could have a loan car at 24 hours notice"
Ian the service guy said no problem!! He couldn't say what it would be but it would be free!! Sure enough I turned up at 0800 and the keys were handed to me straight away. Golf Plus diesel so much better than the usual Polo Fox!!
Now the downside...........Before I could get away I had to sign for the work and they tried to talk me in to having my Brake fluid changed for ?121.00 and my aircon serviced for ?75.00. How many people get suckered into paying for these extras in between service intervals because they are to shy or embarrassed to say NO thank you. Once I said no they did not push it.

When I picked the car up they had done an express check up which told me that my tyres were ok!! renewed 2 months ago!

I needed new front wipers???? replaced 3 months ago myself. Rear wiper needed....couldn't argue with that as it probably did need replacing!!

Finally they told me that my oil was low and that they had put a litre in free of charge!!

I drove home slightly concerned as I had only recently checked it and topped it up. Sure enough got home dipped the oil and it is now over the maximum.......ie almost covering the little lead wedge above the max marker.

It's things like that that really P**s me off.

Anyway if your handbrake handle starts getting stiff or the handle feels odd Watch out it is probably about to fail.

If it does you can still take the brake off by using a screwdriver or similar to pull the remaining part of the broken handle out.

So for Dane Chester initially 9/10 for warranty work.
5/10 for the rest including the sales pitch for the extra work.

?121.00 to change the brake fluid is that the norm??

Cheers all.

Tom

·
430 Posts
Hi Tadpole

Stealer Dealer its all the same except for the word D for Dealer or should that be D for Daly as in the Arthur type. Hows the MSC keepin those boats movin?

Chin up, it could be worse, think Freelander 1.

Clarkyi

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Yep. My brake handle failed sometime last year. Vw recommend 2 year interval for brake fluids and aircon service.

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
staffs said:
Yep. My brake handle failed sometime last year. Vw recommend 2 year interval for brake fluids and aircon service.
Hi Staffs,

Yeah thats what they said. I didn't have the Brake fluid done at the first service as it was before the 2 year date.
I am amazed that I am still alive as i have in my younger been driving cars that have not had the brake fluid changed for years.

As for paying ?75.00 for them to mess about with aircon that is working perfectly....No thank you!!

As the lease will be up next June my philosophy is to pay as little as possible whilst keeping within the Lease Company rules.

Once a tight git, always a tight git!!

Tom

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
Interesting in the new Tiguan manual - the service advice is 1st brake fluid change at 3 years and every 2 years thereafter...first time i've seen that!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Last November I had my brake fluid chaged whilst getting a Long-Life service done.
TL Darby charged ?269 for the service and ?50 for the brake-fluid chage- all including VAT- so ?121 seems very steep.

Regards

Cas

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cas said:
Last November I had my brake fluid chaged whilst getting a Long-Life service done.
TL Darby charged ?269 for the service and ?50 for the brake-fluid chage- all including VAT- so ?121 seems very steep.

Regards

Cas
Hi Cas,

?50 sounds more realistic to me as well!!

Was that your first Longlife service or second??

Regards

Tom

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I was my One & a half Long Life Service?..
My car was an Ex Demonstrator and was given a Long Life Service when it was sold at 9 months old and about 12,000 mile- so when the service light came on for a service at 30,000 I asked my local dealer what it would cost- they advised another Long Life One (and a brake fluid change at it was 2 years old) and then recommend that the next service (which will be at about 46,000 miles should be the Long Life Two service).

FYI the prices quoted at TL Darby for Long Life services are:
20K- Long Life One is ?269
40K - Long Life Two is ?475
60K- Long Life Three is ?325
Optional services are ?50 for the brake fluid change and ?89 for the Air Con service

Regards

Cas

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cas said:
I was my One & a half Long Life Service?..
My car was an Ex Demonstrator and was given a Long Life Service when it was sold at 9 months old and about 12,000 mile- so when the service light came on for a service at 30,000 I asked my local dealer what it would cost- they advised another Long Life One (and a brake fluid change at it was 2 years old) and then recommend that the next service (which will be at about 46,000 miles should be the Long Life Two service).

FYI the prices quoted at TL Darby for Long Life services are:
20K- Long Life One is ?269
40K - Long Life Two is ?475
60K- Long Life Three is ?325
Optional services are ?50 for the brake fluid change and ?89 for the Air Con service

Regards

Cas
Cheers Cas,

Very worthwhile info for when you are shopping around.

My Merc is in for it's second long life service on Friday, my two nearest dealers belong to the same group ( Inchape ).

Called one and was told ?460 incl brake fluid. I asked for a discount and was immediately offered ?370 incl. Called second one who said they could knock ?10.00 off that, good news I thought so I booked it in. Got a call the next day from the first garage and when I said that the other garage had beat their discount price they said OK we will do it for ?350 all in!!

The moral of this tale............Never accept the list price for servicing and even if the garages are owned by the same gropu they will still compete and beat. I get the impression that my local garages either Merc or VW are scratching around for work at the moment so waiting times are short and the price can be negotiated.

With our fuel bills going through the roof we have got to save some money somehow :roll:

Cheers

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts