Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening to you all

I'm just about to replace all four discs and pads on my V10. I intend to follow the threads (and advice) that I have read on this great forum and will buy the parts from a factor company using Brembo or Ferodo parts. Do I also need to buy the sensor
leads as well? Any other pointers will be greatfully received. I have done plenty of disc jobs on my prevoius cars, just wondering if there are any hidden horrors to be found on the Treg, that's all.

Thanks alot guys.

Royboy.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
You will need new sensors.

Make sure you've read the bit on cleaning and adjusting the parking brake shoes which are inside the drum incorporated within the rear discs.

Since there is no friction which is the reason the parking brake can fail an MOT because the interior of the drum is badly rusted, you should not need new parking brake shoes.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Provided that the brake warning light has not come on, (which is activated by the sensor lead wearing through )then the sensors can be reused. They have to be very carefully removed from the old pads, and I did this by using a sharp wood chisel to take away the surrounding friction material, rather than try and pull them out.

Some sets of pads come complete with new sensors, so best to check first.

Good luck with the overhaul.

Alasdair

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you all for the replies and advice.

Will let you know how it all went soon.

Cheers for now

·
749 Posts
There is a gotcha with when replacing the rear discs, i am not the technical, but its to do with something catching and not being adjustable enough, and being able to the discs on and off. Sorry i cant give you more details, :oops: bu there definatley is an issue.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
And in English . . . ?

·
749 Posts
noobytoogy said:
And in English . . . ?
Sorry i was on my way out and rushed the post ,,,

There is a problem when replacing the rear disks, it is something to do with getting the disks on and off, on one side the adjuster can be adjusted to give the clearance required, however on the otherside (dont know which) there is a problem as there isnt any room to manover to make the required adjustment, i am assuming its to do with the lip created inside the drum and adjusting the shoes to give enough clearance to take the disc off. As i said i am not technical, but someone in the know can prob eleborate. Again sorry abou the earlier post !

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I don't rember there being a lip on the drum.

I assume the adjuster for the brake shoes has to be slackened off - it's reached through the wheel stud holes. Would these turn in different directions depending upon which side of the car you were working on?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Having done the disc replacement myself, I think I know what is being referred to.
A throwback to the old days of drum brakes was that eventually the inner face of the drum wore down, and just at the edge of the drum a lip would be formed where the shoes hadn't made contact. This meant that when taking off the drum it would catch on the lip and could be a pure B*****d to get off.

As has been said on here before, since the parking brake shoes are only meant to be making contact when stationary this should not be the case.

I can't remember if the adjusters inside were threaded left and right hand, but I did find it easier to get to them through the stud holes, which are slighly larger than the access hole.

HTH
Alasdair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts