Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While away on holiday with the Treg the low brake pad warning light came on, typical timing when I was miles from home. I phoned a local VW dealer in Norfolk they quoted ?119 for the pads ?30 for the wires? and ?19 for a fitting kit, plus ?96 to fit them and all plus the dreaded VAT.

Also in time honoured VW tradition they were too busy to do the brakes while I was away even though I explained that i would not get home for two weeks.

So I continued with the holiday ignoring the warning light and did a further 1500 miles. I have now booked it into my local independent garage for Friday. Genuine VW pads ?117 fitted inc VAT.

What a difference in price.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I've been told before (can't remember who) that once the brake light comes on, you can drive for a further 1000-2000 mls, but don't quote me.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I think it was a dealer in, or near Kings Lynn. Most unhelpful, Why is it that when they say the service dept is busy and they will ring you back, they never do.
I would have thought that they would have been crying out for business at the moment?

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
staffs said:
I've been told before (can't remember who) that once the brake light comes on, you can drive for a further 1000-2000 mls, but don't quote me.
And if you take your car for an MOT and the warning light has only just come on, then providing the tester can see friction material he will pass it!

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All sorted. I was thinking that having now done about 1700 miles since the light came on, I would have damaged the discs, but no.
There was quite a bit of pad left, the garage forgot that i would need new sensor wires, apologised, ordered them there and then. They changed the pads made me a coffee or two. The wires arrived within 45 mins, all changed and done within about an hour.

Great service even better price, why use VW?

·
749 Posts

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Pete1747 said:
Great service even better price, why use VW?
Where was this Pete? I'm always looking for an alternative to [email protected] (AKA Loders VW)

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep I know what you mean, Loders Yeovil are a bit of a shower, we wanted to buy our Treg from there but they just cant get the stock and basically the sales team know nothing about the Treg as they dont sell enough of them.

Having said that, I was keen to keep a VW service history and Loders were the same price as anywhere else for a service, so that's where it went, I have no complaint about the service that they did.

However for items like these brakes they are horrendously expensive. A friend of mine owns Rivermead garage in Crewkerne. Its a small place off South Street but he really knows his stuff. I trust him totally. I've used him for years with no problems. I would like to have it serviced there but that VW stamp in the book is worth quite a bit. :shock:

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Have the basic service done by VW, but use your friend for anything else such as brake changes, etc..

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Pete1747 said:
Yep I know what you mean, Loders Yeovil are a bit of a shower, we wanted to buy our Treg from there but they just cant get the stock and basically the sales team know nothing about the Treg as they dont sell enough of them.

Having said that, I was keen to keep a VW service history and Loders were the same price as anywhere else for a service, so that's where it went, I have no complaint about the service that they did.

However for items like these brakes they are horrendously expensive. A friend of mine owns Rivermead garage in Crewkerne. Its a small place off South Street but he really knows his stuff. I trust him totally. I've used him for years with no problems. I would like to have it serviced there but that VW stamp in the book is worth quite a bit. :shock:
I'll definitely go there Pete. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts