Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had front Discs and pads replaced this morning, interesting to note that after inspection the front discs that were according to VW 2mm below the recommended minimum of 30mm were in actual fact 3mm above the wear indicator on the rim of the disc.

One of the chaps at th garage also worked for Network Q who are all on a bonus scheme for replacing discs and pads, even when they aren't needed, they have been told to report that pads have 20% life left in them and discs are on the wear limits.

I was charged ?80 inc vat for fitting the discs and pads i sourced from brakes international, so the job was ?230.00 all in against ?600 at VW

Jim

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Interesting- I did not know that discs had a waer indicator on them. Can you tell me where it is so I can check mine- or maybe post a picture?

Thanks Cas

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kaine said:
good info
Thanks Boss.

Cas said:
Interesting- I did not know that discs had a waer indicator on them. Can you tell me where it is so I can check mine- or maybe post a picture?

Thanks Cas
Think the idea is that you can see the lip of the disc worn away at that particular point on the disc, so the outer edge become 'flat' i suppose like a chamfer!?

wear.jpg[/attachment:27it09bq]

Also, take it easy for the first 250miles or so, i.e no emergency stops if possible, this will minimse the risk of warping new discs and also bedding in the new pads, if you don't follow this then you will have warped discs and squeaking pads for the rest of their lives, i was told by a BMW Tech a long time ago that squeaking brakes was a result of using non oem pads that did not have chamfered edges, i.e the leading edge of the pad with a 90degree corner would squeak at that point were as chamfered pads would not squeak, well the pads taken off did not squeak and had non chamfered edges and the new pads are non chamfered also.

Another thing i learnt this morning was that vented discs are handed due to the direction the 'flute's' in between each side of the disc need to throw the air araound and through the discs...hope that makes sense.

just some info, hope it help someone.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Kaine said:
good info :twoup:
Thanks Boss.

Thanks Cas
Think the idea is that you can see the lip of the disc worn away at that particular point on the disc, so the outer edge become 'flat' i suppose like a chamfer!?

[attachment=0]wear.jpg[/attachment]

Also, take it easy for the first 250miles or so, i.e no emergency stops if possible, this will minimse the risk of warping new discs and also bedding in the new pads, if you don't follow this then you will have warped discs and squeaking pads for the rest of their lives, i was told by a BMW Tech a long time ago that squeaking brakes was a result of using non oem pads that did not have chamfered edges, i.e the leading edge of the pad with a 90degree corner would squeak at that point were as chamfered pads would not squeak, well the pads taken off did not squeak and had non chamfered edges and the new pads are non chamfered also.

Another thing i learnt this morning was that vented discs are handed due to the direction the 'flute's' in between each side of the disc need to throw the air araound and through the discs...hope that makes sense.

just some info, hope it help someone.

Jim

The machining mark shown on the picture is for balancing the disc only. The allowable wear limit is stamped on either the "hat" section of the disc or on the disc outer edge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mogs001 said:
The machining mark shown on the picture is for balancing the disc only. The allowable wear limit is stamped on either the "hat" section of the disc or on the disc outer edge.
Don't mind being corrected, BUT;

Brake-disk with visual wear control means Document Type and Number:United States Patent 6308803

Abstract:A brake disc is provided with a visual control means of its wear conditions on at least one of its opposite side faces in correspondence of the peripheral braking strip on which the braking pads act by friction. The visual control means is in the form of a notch in the circumference of the brake disc or a circumferential throat-like or angle groove formed in the outer edge of the brake disc.

Above Patent applied for by Brembo.

Oh...Welcome to the Forum :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts